MNS Varieties With CBC?

Jagged Gardens

Hello all MNS-ers!

Does anyone know of an MNS strain, ideally a relatively fast-flowering IBL, that has been shown to carry significant amounts of cannabichromene/CBC? By "significant" I mean at least 1-2%, more would obviously be good too as I am interested in upping the CBC in a breeding program. Secondarily, my aim is to add some weight/yield to the line I'm working, so a good yielding CBC strain would be great too.

Here is what I have on hand to work with at present:

La Nina
Shark Shock
Critical Mass
Medicine Man
Ortega
Devil
Nordle
Early Skunk
Critical Skunk
Mango Widow
G13 Widow

Any resources or studies on CBC from a plant process/genetics standpoint would be appreciated as well (Is it recessive or dominant? Does it require particular attention when grown, or at its peak concentration early/middle/late in the harvest window? Are there any phenotypical or observable chemotypical markers of its presence? etc...). Somewhere I have a couple articles on CBC, but haven't been able to recall where I stored them - I'll post them when they are located.

From what I have read, it appears to be quite present in feral varieties, but like CBD (until a decade+ ago), has been scrubbed in favor of high THC (love me some THC, but let's keep rolling toward the other stuff too...money turns us into such f-n boneheads...).

Here is a link to the breeding program I'm working through, although be warned, there are quite a lot of vague notions sloshing around the thread!

Thanks, all, and be well!

I do not know about any MrN strains having anything over 1% in CBC. I know of some labs that have reported that they have never tested any modern hybrid strains to have over 1% in CBC. I know of very few strains that have any measurable CBC at all. Many do not test for it. I grow several CBC strains, including Maui Waui Cherry Bomb bred by Mr Greengenes on Maui (seemingly the CBC comes from the old heirloom, Maui Wowie). North India landraces are said to have high CBC levels, and for that reason I am growing Malana Cream this year. Man, are they tall plants! Stand back! Supposedly landraces have higher levels, but I am not sure about that. I believe that published data in 1975 on CBC testing reported high levels of CBC from sampeling error (meaning they had a few (or even only one) strains that were tested from which they drew erroneous data).

There are several places that list higher CBC strains, all of which are under 1% and most about 0.5% CBC. Higher level strains include Birthday Cake and Purple Cadillac, with about 0.7% CBC. These strains are all listed with about 0.5% CBC: 3 Kings, Maui Dream, Bubba Cookies, Charlottes Web, Purple Candy, South Tsunami, and Valantine X. I have purchased a lot of tested Sour Tsunami grown here in Oregon and the CBC and CBD levels are highly variable. CBC is never higher than 0.8% though.

Thanks for the notes, and yea, it does seem like even that 1% threshold is hard to reach. I haven't had much testing done, but of the 4-5 really nice cuts I've submitted to a local lab the two outstanding ones with the richest effects had small amounts, one around .5. the other .6.

I'll check out some of what you mention, and I think I have a Maui cross somewhere in my collection.

Check the CBD Crew strains at the online store..

One thing to note is that most studies that I have read using CBC have indicated that it is far more effective when used in combination with THC. CBCA/CBC levels seem to be higher in younger plants, so harvesting earlier may result in more CBC in the colas. I prefer harvesting earlier when I grow bud not grown for seed. CBGA is the parent molecule of CBCA, which is then broken down further into CBC. CBC will break down further into CBLA and CBL when it is aged, heated or exposed to UV light. CBL is cannabicyclol, a little known and little studied cannabinoid. CBL is very similar to CBN in molecular structure, but lacks the double bond that is said to make CBN mildly psychoactive. CBN is the cannabinoid that THC beaks down into over time.

Also some more strains said to have higher amounts of CBC include Jorge’s Diamond’s #1 by Dutch Passion, and Blue Cherry Soda.

theres a paper where 2 high cbc strains are isolated and selectivly bred for improvement. the traits which produce abnormal amounts of cbc are prolonged juvenile type. cbc is highest percentage wise in early veg and is inverse to thc/cbd once flowering gets going. the first from south korea had a profile of high cbc with secondary being thc. a north afgan landrace was used which had high cbc and cbd as second cannabinoid. since cbc forms in sessile trichomes and not glandular, flowering behavior in those lines had significantly less bracts. so may be better in a balanced profile with elevated cbc. the south korea andong strain would be the one to trace to find high cbc . the strain had strong lemon/pine candied stems which is a common trait among south korean and phillipino lines. also high in delta carene. sativa leaning plants especially haze have higher levels of cbc cbt cbl .

I found a place that has pure CBC isolate (in oil form) for cheap. $35 for an eighth, shipped. One drop of oil does the trick added to a bowl of Colombian Gold.

I was going through the ic mag forums earlier and came across this post by Shanti, who said that medicine man is one of the strongest for thc/cbd/CBC.

there is a paper out that outlines a system of extracting cbc from veg plants continuously. cbc seems to be a great potentiator when taken with thc. cbc extract could never be a bad thing

this hortafarm patent on cannabichromene has all the info on cbc existing on planet earth lol. this seems to be their strategy they file patents which are essentially a literature review on the subject. im guessing to capture and patent everything possible. the format is a little awkward but everything is in there. they have them for other cannabinoids and terpenes as well. i cant find the exact spot where that method is listed but this paper has really good info

What about CBCa? Does that change to CBC? I have a cut that tests at .641 CBCa. I just got some interesting high THCv x CBG seeds too.

Yes, CBCa will decarboxylate into CBC. The process is (in the Cannabis plant): CBGa is the origin of THCa, CBDa and cannabichromenic acid (CBCa). The plants decides which path the CBGa process will take (presumably from genetics, though there may be other environmental variables that affect gene switching and the Cannbinoid ripening path). Once formed, CBCa will decarb into CBC. Then CBC will decompose into CBCL over longer periods of time. 0.641% if a fair amount of CBCa.

If as they say CBC/CBCa is higher in younger plants than older ones, I have to wonder if there is another path that CBCa can take, like converting into THCa? Or maybe it is volatile and simply wafts off? Dunno. Little is really known about CBC or THCv and CBN for that matter. CBD ad CBG are getting more research funding, but CBC, THCv and CBN need more research.

Last edited:
CBC, THCv and CBN need more research.
Agreed.

medicine man

Medicine Man for the win I think. I'll probably drop a dozen or so this weekend - it will be my first grow from the MNS catalog, and looking forward to it.

prolonged juvenile type

I'll look more closely at the patent app when I have some down time later, but from a quick skim this seems to refer to long vegging plants (correct me if my understanding here is off), so no surprise that higher CBC concentrations are found in sativas. Is your understanding that this is different from slow-vegging plants (I'm thinking of IBL's, Deep Chunk and the like), but is linked to a plants genetic predisposition to mature slowly?

In regard to "prolonged juvenile type"...

Sativas as a rule are not late and/or slow flowering plants. Some are fast and early flowering, for example; Lebanese Red and most all hemp strains. Several sativas are mid-season, like Mexican and South African landraces. Several sativas are long and slow, like SE Asian and Colombian landraces. I do not think that the paper is referring to long flowering strains though. What the paper seems to be referring to is shorter flowering strains to create more of what they call "prolonged juvenile chemotype" in genetically predisposed hemp and Afghani strains. Prolonged juvenile chemotype strains apparently produce more and hold onto the smaller juvenile "sessile glandular trichomes" longer into flowering. Those juvy trichomes are said to have high concentration of CBC. At least that I my read anyway. They refer to limiting light seemingly to force earlier blooming, and shorter "generative phase" plants that finish flowering in less than 8 weeks. It is confusing and they contradict themselves in several places. Seems odd that they are trying to patent everything to do with CBC from breeding to extraction. You cannot patent breeding methods or any seeds produced (other than GMO).

Last edited:
White Rhino
Yup - incognito as Medicine Man, WR is next in the cue....maybe a couple of something else too.

And sure, I get what you mean about sativas being variable, I'm working with some Kashmir that are another exception.

tests at .641 CBCa
Also thanks for the reminder BigSur - I never did respond, @CannaFish, apologies. What variety or cross are you working with, and are there unique aspects to the high that you might attribute to CBC?

I have a cut with similar CBC numbers (although much lower in THC). My Goldilocks (GMOxKashmir), according to one test is at .66 CBCa, so CBC would end up around .6 or a little under with +/-12% mass lost to decarb. I feel like that's a good place to start building from given it's well within range of what fits a "high CBC" cultivar. Jury is still out as to whether she is any good as a breeder, well see.

And sure, I get what you mean about sativas being variable, I'm working with some Kashmir that are another exception.
Also thanks for the reminder BigSur - I never did respond, @CannaFish, apologies. What variety or cross are you working with, and are there unique aspects to the high that you might attribute to CBC?

I have a cut with similar CBC numbers (although much lower in THC). My Goldilocks (GMOxKashmir), according to one test is at .66 CBCa, so CBC would end up around .6 or a little under with +/-12% mass lost to decarb. I feel like that's a good place to start building from given it's well within range of what fits a "high CBC" cultivar. Jury is still out as to whether she is any good as a breeder, well see.

I revised my post above for clarity. That being that the paper seems to be referring to short flowering strains retaining high levels of CBC. As for Fish's strain, it is a real mutt. It has some Colombian and South African (Durban) in it, but buried in a majority of more prevalent ChemDawg, several type of OG Kush and Afghans. White Rhino (AKA: MrN's Medicine Man) is a cross of Shanti's 'original' White Widow (Brazilian crossed with a South Indian) and an Afghan. Well, a presumed Afghan, as it is called a "North American indica", which is likely an Afghan landrace. As the paper refers a lot to short flowering hemp and a lot of Afghan stains, it seems that the Afghan genetics is where the CBC comes from? In the case of Maui Waui Cherry Bomb, it is Maui Wowie x unknown Afghan. The common parentage is Afghani in all of these moderate CBC strains.

Ok, I've been a little unclear as to the meaning of "extended juvenile type", and the best I could gather is that it refers to a plants inclined to remain in veg for longer periods, but you note the article as identifying short flowering Afghans as a possible source. That's interesting, I haven't had a chance to work through the article yet, need to do that tonight.

When she is treated right Goldi's early flowering window is 6 weeks 12/12, and she is at her best then by far compared to 7-8 weeks. There is a beauty, joy, and longevity (but no raciness) to her high that I've speculated stems from the relatively higher CBC numbers (her THC is at around 16/17%). By 7 weeks Goldi's exuberance is muted, and by 8 weeks she's very nice but has lost that special glow. Begs the question indeed as to whether fast flowering is somehow related to either CBC production or, as I might surmise, if they are just quick enough for the CBC to remain present in the "EJT" Afghani lines. Speculation upon speculation here, but I wouldn't look first to her GMO mom for flowering speed (and her maternal grandparents are 10-12 weekers), but her Kashmir dad comes from a region in Pakistan just a couple hundred miles from Afghanistan. Some genetic influence is plausible, but of course I'm not drawing any conclusions, just painting a very "impressionistic" picture from scant available data.

Now for that article...

I’m not really working it. Just growing it for the first time. it’s the popular mac1 cut. From what I’ve read it’s a triploid so, 1… it’s partly sterile and 2… it produces mainly mutants.
I’m just learning about cbc. Bigsur has been talking about CBC and the Maui wowie cherry line for awhile now.
I would think there needs to be more testing to determine what strains are rich in it. That’s a great idea if Shanti shared some cannabinoid tests from his lines.
you know thcV has tested very low for a long time. We always talked about Durban having it. Jack the Ripper is known for it. Franco put his life on the line collecting Congolese heirlooms and they tested what, 1.something %? Then along comes Doug’s Varin and it has exponentially more thcV. I’ve heard differing amounts of 5 to15% with equivalent THC. So hopefully with enough testing some exceptional cbc chemo types are found.
The thcV seeds I have are backcross to the Doug’s Varin cut and they used a high cbg phenotype to start the backcross. And I think I got some freebies of the f2s also. I can’t imagine what types of novel chemo types are in these genetics. Like CBGv or some combo of thcV, THC and CBG.

Ah yes, Mac1. I've seen grow reports. Hell of a plant, but strange indeed, and I've also read it has actually been genetically tested. Triploid, and very rare. Nice!

THCV is another one that needs more of us looking for it - a few decades of narrow-minded pursue of THC has left us with quite a challenge, and of course testing protocols calibrated for the same purpose certainly don't help.

Back