MKS first F2 attempt.....

Tom bolenate

2021 COE Winner
Hi there.

Here is my first real growing post.
I know it may looks a bit ridiculous to all
experienced growers here... But we all have to start one day.

I started a few remanings mks seeds 2 months ago and ended with 4 nice plants.... 3 fem and a boy.... I was pissed of because the male attracted my attention in early veg with an deliciously horrible pungent acrid smell.

I never attempted to make seeds.... Not enough space and time for that... But now I'm stuck at home like most of us....so have more time available that I want to use to try new things.....

So I kept this stincky male, and "selected" a female to marry him....the others 2 females were transplanted in 6l pot in coco/perlite medium, were topped one more time and went for 10 more days veging under 600 w mh.
These two big plants will partake my grow tent with a few Ortega I started 2 weeks later than the mks but were run un topped so all in all I can get an even canopy.

All plants in the tent are now 1 week in 12/12 so in full stretch for the moment.... Will update later when bud sites will be there.

The couple I kept is flowered like I can.... I put them in my terrasse in full sun at 8am and I put them in a dark room at 7pm.....they are kept in small 1l coco pot and feeded every day... I'm doing this for about 2 weeks know....will collect and store male pollen for eventual later use and let him fecondate his girlfriend in the terasse.

IMG_20200403_100410.jpg

The stincky male on left, squat fem on the right.

I'm not very good in pheno tracking but according to the shape, smell, and flowering speed of the male I think it's very skunk influenced. On the other side the fem squat shape, subtle lemony woody smell and slower flower g time make me think it's strongly on the mk side...

I will do the same with the few Ortegas.... They have been send 12/12 before preflowering and after one week
I already identified 3 fem and 2 boys... 4 others still unidentified.
I kept one of the 2 male....it exhibits a strong burn rubber smell when rubbed, has a nice structure and big hollow stem. .. Not too squat.... Will collect his pollen and will hand polinate my 2 best Ortega indoor this time....

And now I wonder if I do an Ortega X MKS....it's a never ending story....

A group shot mks male in the left, mks fem in the middle and Ortega boy on the right.
IMG_20200403_170129.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
In my experience with MKS, the tall, long flowering phenos are the keepers.
There is some variation among the tall ones but the winners will all be in that group.
The short fast phenos are skunk dom and not very interesting.
Good luck and thanks for sharing your work here.

Aloha Tom,

Good to see you posting up. MKS is an excellent strain for sure. My all time fav- short grow time and big flowers! Get the stakes out, your gonna need them! Looking forward to how they turn out for you.

Shaka
Mu

Hi,

This F2 making attempt is a secondary funny part of the grow....

Here are some inputs on the real grow on my tent...

A picture of the 2 big mks baby @8 days 12/12:
IMG_20200404_200738.jpg

These plants have had about 2 months of growth before the flip and were topped 2 times, they are in 6l pots of perlite/coco mix and feeded a bit aggressively.
Ghe 3 part flora series, program k at full streight, ph 6,
Ec at around 1.5 for the moment...

They are big.... And yes your right Musashi they will need support even if I noticed in my previous grows that they can make a strong branching and be quite self supporting.

Here a group shot of the tent:
IMG_20200404_195355.jpg

The 2 mks in the bottom left and middle with a
Philo seeds black bomb on the right.

All others plants on front are Ortegas in 3 litres pots untopped.

Have some troubles with these ortegas: I planned to ended with about 4 ortegas females so started 12 seeds.
Seeds were 2 years old and stored in poor condition.
10 have germinated! 1 killed one plant that looked too weak.... Out of the 9 remainings plants I got 7 females.
WTF Shanti! This was not supposed to happen like that I want my money back ��

All plants are quite uniform for the moment...look exactly like the nl5xnl2 described in several Ortega threads..just one seems a bit different (shorter and stocker and seems a bit sensitive to the feeding) .

I have to make a decision about these 7 Ortegas: do I cull 3 of them (decision will be hard all plants look good). Or do I transfert them in a bit lager tent I have available? Make Ortega F2 outdoor with fem in excess like I do with mks?

Last edited:
Hi,

Here is a little update of my grow @30 days 12/12.

The 2 mks plants indoor are doing very well and developed well despite they are a bit crowded. Very healthy no sign of deficency of any kind.... They love the strong feeding I give them (ec 1.7 ph 6).

Mks1 look very promising.
She responded very well to topping, and denses fat colas have formed.
IMG_20200426_200429.jpg

IMG_20200426_200525.jpg

Medium to good resin production.
The smell is hindu kush all the way, pine, juniper and little lemony on the background.

IMG_20200426_200646.jpg

Mks2 is obviously an other phenotype.
General shape is not that different.
But the plant seems to bloom mutch faster.
Colas are thinner and more elongated than Mks1.
IMG_20200426_200914.jpg

IMG_20200426_2010021.jpg

More resin than Mks1 and the smell is mutch more skunk influenced than Mks1. More pungent and sweater too.

IMG_20200426_201100.jpg

This plant is blooming really fast and start to show early maturation signs.... I have to adapt the nutrition on this one as her cycle will definetly be shorter.

Imho this is the kind of plant to look for short outdoor season.....

I won't talk anymore of the 6 Ortegas Sharing the space with them (I culled one plant since last time) on this post.
They are doing really well too.
Will open a specific thread for them.

I also won't talk of the few the stones seedlings I started 10 days ago.... Things will come on the right moment for these ones.

Tom Bolenate!

Last edited:
Ho... I forgot to mention the F2 experiment.

Here a picture of the male before I culled him and collected a little pollen.
IMG_20200407_173301.jpg

And the poor female I force to flower on my terrasse.
IMG_20200427_113658.jpg

She is heavily pregnant.... And doing really well for the poor growing condition she has:0,8l of substrate, 10 hours light a day, wind, caterpillars, grasshoppers, slugs.....
Hard to say which pheno it is with these growing conditions but according to the smell it's more on the mk side....

A bottom bud of Mks1 has also been pollinated manually in the tent....

That's all for the moment.

Last edited:
Hi all,

A little update at 38 days from the flip.

MK2 is flowering in berzek mode..... Never seen a plant flowering that fast....
90% of the top bud pistils are dry... In the middle of the plant it's more 40%.
The smell that was sweat at the beginning turned really unpleasant.... Strong camphor / tar type of smell....
It totally echo Broseidon mks report.... Had to put my nose back when I smelled her....
Lot of resin too.....
I have the intuition there is nothing good in letting this plant go too long.... Don't want to get a heavy narcotic type of stone....so may be a last feeding and I start rincing.

A top bud pic under HPS.... Can you believe this plant is at 38 days since the flip?
IMG_20200504_210211.jpg

Mks1 is more representative of what to expect from this strain.
Bloom speed much slowlier, still throwing new calix.
The smell is typically hindu kush....piny woody.... Lovely.
Not much resin.
Yield is very promising.
IMG_20200504_210622.jpg

Not a single male flower detected on both plant.

Last edited:
Aloha Tom!

MKS is one of the most under rated strains in the MNS catalogue yet it is a consistent performer. Good yields and a fine stone. Add the superb smells and tastes... what's not to like? I will revisit this strain soon as your journal has got me remembering what a fine plant it is. Good luck on your finish!

Shaka
Mu

Hi Musashi,

It's not underrated in my book.
It's my 4th grow of it.... Never been disapointed.
The very best one carry among the more complex/subtle flavors I ever seen.....i remember trying to identifies the flavors.... Rose wood? Juniper? Exotic wood....

The high is also very good for an indica.... Dreamy and relaxed.... Not narcotic and toxic in a bad way (I remember a nordle that was horribly strong and toxic to an unpleasant level and a next morning hangover).... But strong enough to flatten your brain before bedtime.

I tried mkaze and the stones...looking for the same taste but with a clearer high.... Got what I wanted for high, but didn't find the flavor a was looking for....may be theses flavors are brought by some recessive genes and you must go F2 to alow recombination and have a chance to find them back?

Aloha brah!

True old school. Master Kush is my all around fav Indie smoke.
It is the perfect after work smoke. It irons out the wrinkles, the aches and pains of the day. I like the clarity of the longer maturing ones. The MKaze has enough variation but will take time to tease out. I'm envious of your sense of smell, mine has degraded over the years.
On with the show brah!

Shaka
Mu

Aloha brahs!

Damn Paky not only brilliant in music but brilliant in growing skills also. Nice one brah! The makings of a good thread here.

Shaka
Mu

Hi,

Ahhh the famous mks archetype picture!!!
What a beauty!
It's supposed to be mk dominant but IMHO it exhibits some traits of of skunk#1 like long spear shaped buds.
I also miss the best mks I have grown.....but I fell I found something better.... In my curent Ortega grow.... The smallest one exhibits the best and sweetest kushy smell I ever seen..... It's the smallest of the bunch... A nl1 pheno I think....

Hi there,

Mk2 was chopped this morning.
IMG_20200522_101519.jpg

Think I overfeed her a bit and let her go a bit too long.
So not that happy about MY work on her....
I promised to make honest report.... So I also have to show you my mistakes.....

Smell, that was horrible in mid flowering, turned into something sweeter after the flush....

A lot of resin too.... Not a white strain but definitely a hash plant.
IMG_20200522_102929.jpg

Resin, resin everywhere..... And not a joint to smoke (I'm out of weed lol!)

Last edited:
Heya Tom,

Good to see your keeping an honest journal! Nothing wrong with showing the bad also. :) I must say she doesnt look over feeded to me. More like heat and dry soil got to her.

I found real stinkers in MKS.. so good to read yours is turning to the better after a flush. I wish ya a good smoke when shes ready!

keep it coming bro!

It looks pretty to me ;)
Errors happen...
Just like me, I wanted to tie down my widow, and it cracked, so i have to clip top in early flowering :(
:D

Hey Tom!

Glad you have some good smoke. We keep on keepin’ on don’t we? What ya got cooking these days? More of the same or?

Shaka
Mu

Back