Medicine Man x Zunami Test

So let's see about that stretch.

i am posting a bit more detailed log of this grow on my regular thread ( https://mrnice.nl/forum/threads/barrelling-on.18153/page-13 ). i figured i'd do a bit more of a summary over here.

last overview that got posted was this one, so i'll start here.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

flower week 1 @ 14/10
full

week 2 @14/10
full

week 3 @ 13/11
full

full

so yea, quite a bit of stretch actually imo, more than i expected in fact, and about equal to medicine man.

That’s a deep and thick jungle.
Do you defoliate?
Fans underneath as well as top?
🤙
i haven't defoliated, i think the plants use their leaves as energy/nutrient storage. all the leaves that can't reach the light shrivel up and drop to the bottom as a rule. - i did chop the smallest branches that will never reach the light, blended them and fed right back to the barrel.

i use fans only on top this round.

Thanks for the heads up sneaky! Definitely going to have to bear the stretch in mind, they are so short and squat at the moment, really compact- I'm finding it hard to believe that they will stretch as much as they have :)

I also have some good news, my bug infestation is completely gone! Whoop whoop!

I will post some pics later on this afternoon, they are looking much better than they were

Well, a warning to those of you who try the shark it really can take over your week!

Still battling with the flies, I am going to do a major dry back, longer than I've done yet, and I will transplant the plants into the big bed on Sunday or so- whenever I am convinced I am in fact lord of the flies.

Starting to train them now, topped once a few weeks ago. Normally I top a few times, but I am planning on spreading these babes out a bit, so I've topped once, and will lst/ supercrop ?? (I've momentarily forgotten what it's called when you bend the stalks).

We are on day 39 now. Will flip in about 2 weeks or so once they've recovered from being potted in the main beds. I think they're doing super well so far, very happy. Super short and squat, but the leaves are quite thin and looking sativa-equse:

Attachments

• IMG_20240716_105134.jpg
    IMG_20240716_105134.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240716_105202.jpg
    IMG_20240716_105202.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240716_105221.jpg
    IMG_20240716_105221.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240716_105310.jpg
    IMG_20240716_105310.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
@sneakyfeck how are they smelling man?

One thing that's blown my mind this run is the smell. They just have a very strong cannabis smell, constantly. Stem rub is exactly the same smell as shark shock when it was growing at this age. Just a really pleasant cannabis smell.

I am enjoying this run as much as the shark shock, cannot wait to see how they come out.

I've dug deep into the soil today to see if I can find any remnants of bugs. I've found a few new adults that have been trapped in the sticky traps, one I found in the soil after digging around 6 inches deep. It is looking likely that I'll plant them into the main container on Sunday.

Some pics, day 42 today since they popped up:

IMG_20240719_150147.jpgIMG_20240719_150036.jpgIMG_20240719_150015.jpg

Hi guys, transplanted them yesterday into the living soil mix. Man I love living soil. As I planted them, I gave them a drench in some ecothrive biosys and some fulvic/ humic acid. Good lord they have absolutely loved it.

They are still super short, currently measuring 9 inches for both plants. But damn are they wide babes.

The difference in yesterday to today is massive I think:

IMG_20240723_161748.jpgIMG_20240723_162721.jpg

Hi guys, today marks day 52 since they've popped, will wait another few days and flip them. They are starting to grow a touch more vertical, and I will add a screen to the tent today. Since I've last posted I did some lollypopping/ defoliation. Everything is growing well, but my one comment is they are so short, even now. All previous plants I've run at this point were at least twice the size of the Zumani. My one hope is that they stretch a huge amount, as although I haven't written it down anywhere, I feel that I have felt that my plants have been on the small side before and they made up with it during the stretch.

I will say the complaint about stretch is just related to the height, they are bushy as anything right now.

I am wondering though, I have started to get a bit of purple on the veins of the leaves on the plant on the right. Is this likely to be a purple pheno do you all think, or am I runnung low on something? Plants seems to be healthy otherwise, and I think the zunami can have flecks of purple so I am assuming it might be that?

Purple veins:
IMG_8558 red vein.jpg

IMG_8559 red vein.jpg

Compared to the other plant which is here:

IMG_85611.jpg

Maybe it is moreso in my head? But they definitely do look a bit more purple in real life. Might give a bit of that nettle extract to see if it peps them up a bit. No extreme temperature swings, they are always in 24-29c range, normally not much more than 27c, but they have hit 29 with the hot weather over the last few days.

IMG_8560.JPGIMG_85541.jpgIMG_85551.jpgIMG_85561.jpgIMG_85571.jpg

Hi @lozac123! :) Nice looking plants. I am curious if you took the pictures with your DSLR camera or phone? Or both!

Longball
Hi Longball- I am starting to practice with the DSLR now there is a bit more to look at- all photos I've taken of the Zumani in this thread have been from my phone apart from the ones today- I wanted to get an up close shot of the red/ purple veins on the leaves, the DLSR did a much better job than my phone :)

Hi Longball- I am starting to practice with the DSLR now there is a bit more to look at- all photos I've taken of the Zumani in this thread have been from my phone apart from the ones today- I wanted to get an up close shot of the red/ purple veins on the leaves, the DLSR did a much better job than my phone :)

Hi lozac123! :) Good to see you using the DSLR more. And it should take better pictures than your phone! lol A few days agp I was looking at the photography thread that you started a month or two ago. It would be nice to have that as a active participating thread. If I get some time I'll look at it again and see if there are any 'easy' questions that I can answer. Seems like answers just bring more questions lol

Longbal

Hi lozac123! :) Good to see you using the DSLR more. And it should take better pictures than your phone! lol A few days agp I was looking at the photography thread that you started a month or two ago. It would be nice to have that as a active participating thread. If I get some time I'll look at it again and see if there are any 'easy' questions that I can answer. Seems like answers just bring more questions lol

Longbal
Haha definitely, I will take some more shots around the garden outside for practice too- the main thing I wanted to learn from the photography thread was to get some advice on pics I'd taken, for example "I like this photo, but would would make it pop out/ be even better?!"

Haha definitely, I will take some more shots around the garden outside for practice too- the main thing I wanted to learn from the photography thread was to get some advice on pics I'd taken, for example "I like this photo, but would would make it pop out/ be even better?!"

I asked my photography teacher the same question. He started laughing and said that would take him too long! :LOL: His main game is practice, practice, practice. For close up of plants, buds, people,etc, a shallower depth of field and nice background bokeh makes things pop.

Medicine Man 07 08 24 1 .jpg

I learned to max out focal length and max open f/stop to get good bokeh. On my 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, the setting at 55mm is 5.6 f/stop. I heard too that the sweet spot on many lenses is setting two f/stops above your widest aperture opening.

mu

So today I have set the timer for 12/12, looking at the coming months I think I will be extremely busy in October, and with these being so short so far I think they are likely to be a bit more indy so hopefully a shorter time.

Does that make today day one of flip, or tomorrow? I always get a bit lost...

Starting to catch a few fungus gnats again on the sticky traps. Man they are resilient.

Final pics before flowering:

IMG_20240802_114210.jpgIMG_20240802_114100.jpgIMG_20240802_114019.jpg

@sneakyfeck how are they smelling man?

One thing that's blown my mind this run is the smell. They just have a very strong cannabis smell, constantly. Stem rub is exactly the same smell as shark shock when it was growing at this age. Just a really pleasant cannabis smell.

I am enjoying this run as much as the shark shock, cannot wait to see how they come out.

I've dug deep into the soil today to see if I can find any remnants of bugs. I've found a few new adults that have been trapped in the sticky traps, one I found in the soil after digging around 6 inches deep. It is looking likely that I'll plant them into the main container on Sunday.

Some pics, day 42 today since they popped up:

View attachment 89542View attachment 89543View attachment 89544
sry for being afk lozac. distractions distractions... i will make a bit of an update coming days. smell wise, its always hard to say for me. but indeed; classic cannabis aroma is very present. mine are getting quite resinous, i also note the purple veins and it makes me think im missing something as well. they react nicelyto the super cropping and i don't notice any detrimental side effects.

sry for being afk lozac. distractions distractions... i will make a bit of an update coming days. smell wise, its always hard to say for me. but indeed; classic cannabis aroma is very present. mine are getting quite resinous, i also note the purple veins and it makes me think im missing something as well. they react nicelyto the super cropping and i don't notice any detrimental side effects.
No panic sneaky, I totally get being busy.

I've also found that they really liked to be topped and defoliated. They really seem to jump in growth after doing so.

Very interestingly thing time round they seem to have got a bit of light burn? Jage you found that? I've had to turn my light down from about 50% to around 33% now.

Will update in a few more days when I work out if it was definitely light burn or not.

Hi all, we are on day 5 of flip now, a few pistols have popped up now- yay!

They are definitely starting to stretch now, by a huge amount too. Incredibly, in one week they have grown around four inches and are now sitting at 14 inches tall!!

Some pics before my musings essay at the end:

IMG_20240807_101423.jpgIMG_20240807_091834.jpgIMG_20240807_091816.jpg
And the burnt leaves, wouldnt mind a second opinion on whether this was light burn? I will say it hasn't gotten any worse since I've turned down the lights, but I am mildly concerned I won't have enough light for flowering to get the best yields, but I am after quality more than yield. However, I only ever grow two plants, so need enough to keep me going between runs. Fingers crossed this will yield enough!!

I have a migro aray 3 250w, so if it is on 33%, in theory it is using around 83w of light. To me that does seem a bit low for a 100x100 tent, but it does come back as around 380 ppfd. Do some cultivars need far less light?

Light burn pics:

IMG20240807085915.jpgIMG20240807085918.jpg

So I have been mildy concerned about how short these girls have been (due to yield), but sometimes it is very important to remember I am a newbie and its good to be challenged by some more tricky plants, how else do you grow as a grower? But I have learned quite a bit this run. Shark shock was my previous run, it didn't mind too much light, the living soil etc, it just grew honestly without me doing much. I was merely the custodian for it, was it getting enough water etc.

Zumani definitely was a bit more tricky to grow, but only from user error. Within a few days of the higher light levels I noticed the strength of the light was too much. I have noticed this in many of the strains I have grown, but normally it shows itself as a very lightly scorched tip. This time round though it impacted a portion of the leaf, so I knew to turn it down. I had issues (that I am still battling with) with fungus gants so I repotted these zumani several times before they went into their final container, perhaps this also took some time off them growing taller. Having said that I have read a bit around zkittlez and it does seem to be a shorter strain anyway.

When I started this run, I picked the smallest seed and the biggest. I foolishly put them together in the same paper towel, and didn't label them afterwards so I have no idea which is which. It is interesting that one is bigger than the other though.

The horizontal growth has been exceptional, I nearly need to defoliate again and I had only done it a week or so ago!

End of musings, and thank you again to Shanti and Mu for organising this run, its my first time as a tester and I am enjoying it!

Back