Medicine Man Pheno Question?

Happy Frog

Hello everyone.... was wondering if someone could help me. I popped 8 of my Medicine Man beans and ended up with 3 females. Two look like they are the same pheno- fast growing and a little slower to sprout pistils from the calyxs at start of showing sex. They also have tiny pistils compared to the other pheno. The other pheno is slower growing, but showed its sex earlier and has huge pistils coming from the calyxs. Is it correct to assume that the faster growing plants with the tiny pistils are sativa phenos and the slower growing plant is the indica pheno I am seeking? Thanks for any and all info, friends! :)

Hi happy frog :)
some photos would be cool to see what you talking about.

Generally for me, in veg was kinda hard to spot the different phenos i could only spot 1 pheno which had clearly more sativa looking.

In flowering its really easy to see what you have, the fast flowering pheno had pistils that turn pink when they start mature and finally they turn brown like usually. Yield seems a bit higher that the rest but i think the more black widow side phenos will have more yield that the indica at the end. At least from the phenos i grew out.
Potency and smell also was kinda low on the fast flowering pheno compared to the more sativa / black widow side pheno.

Generally i think the afghan that is crossed to make the medicine man is nothing special at all.
Well thats my experience with this strain so it does not represent the rest of the people here im sure.

Good luck mate

Last edited:
i agree and disagree with you. I grew medman myself as it was my first pack of MNS seeds (not my first grow by any means). Grew out the entire pack in a 1mx1mx2.5m tent with a 600 hps. Most of the pheno's were sativa dominant in growth structure during flowering and stretched 3-4x. One pheno stayed short and squat but had little potency as crowmax mentioned. I'm sure the afghan has some special qualities tho or it wouldn't be used in the cross with the criteria Shanti uses for selection. I found medman to be a good yielding, nice tasting strain that is not extremely potent but has a fair amount of potency. Only ran one pack and I also liked the more Widow dominant plants that ran a bit longer 77-80days. She is great for neausea as its the best sick stomach meds i've ever encountered encouraging a strong onset of the munchies so good for chemo/stomach issues. I always felt that the Afghan was primarily used to increase the yield of the BW and lower the flowering time so it would be a bit easier to find a killer pheno than the BW line itself which requires meticulous selection. Of all the White varieties i've tried (all except BlackWidow herself) MangoWidow was the strongest followed by Shark then G13 and finally Rhino being the least potent. I imagine a good BlackWidow selection could top the charts!

*I am awaiting the Critical Widow and Nordle Widow tho they are a bit behind in the mail...i have very high hopes for NordlexWidow as a killer med strain and thats one strong afghani(sk) to be working with

Last edited:
Hey there curious :)
I like your description on MM, generally i m kinda disappointed by the afghan side of MM because i thought the afghan parent was used for its couchlock high or something.
The potency of MM is very good like you mention on the widow phenos but not toxic like the description on website
Btw, i wonder how you find Shark shock stronger than medicine man. I also grew a pack of sharks few years ago and from my experience shark shock was not so potent like medicine man.
Mango widow never tried it but sounds promising. Had some mangohaze grew out in the past and the smell on 1 pheno was incredible. But after it dried and putted in jars, that unique smell totally gone and was replaced by a typical ''church'' smell.

Generally i think shanthi has some nice black widows and haze parents out there, very very unique but i would expect more on medicine man based on breeder's description and reputation. This plus some hermie problems that i experience with the last pack i grew out (medicine man) makes me little skeptical about growing mr nice in the future.

Cheers

Hey Crowmax
I think you are correct in all you mentioned except the Shark but maybe i just got lucky with her. I just think her high was more cerebral and uplifting with a great taste. I had hermie issues with my Medman stock also and a pheno that took 96days to finish. For the price tag and reputation its a bit confusing. I think that the Widow side is sensitive but once dialed in my widow hybrids have been great, hopefully the NordlexWid and CriticalxWid stay herm free. A member named medman just completed Critical Widow and it looks kick ass and even more indica than most of the medman photos i've seen. Much love and do try another variety before you give it quits with MNS. Honestly Holy Grail type plants have popped up for me and quite a few other members with MangoWidow, its like having Shanti's two most prized strains in one seed. I've grown almost 3full packs and never had one hermie, i had the perfect plant and lost her awhile back. Also maybe check out Nordle, its one of the top five best indica's i've ever encountered, extremely uniform, great flavor and generally very narcotic.

Probably you are right about the shark shock, was just a different kind of ''high''. 1 pheno of them was really nice but that again was the most black widow pheno out of all :D
I haven't check the other strains you mention but its time for me to move on and grow something else, because it's been a while now growing mr.nice strains. Not quitting growing mr.nice but lets say take a break. Still want to try ''neville's haze'', ''black widow'' and give another try to ''ssh'' someday.

Btw, you mention earlier that your medicine man also went hermie. Have you any idea how this happened? Was all plants or just a few? I mean it was like a genetic thing you believe or you ''screw'' something up in the garden and caused it?
Also, when you say hermie you mean they was fully females that throw few bananas or went full hermie and stopped producing quality buds?
My MM went hermie now on 32 days into flowering, not fully hermie but -for now- they showed 5-6 bananas in various bud sites.
I ask all these because i wonder if i should expect the plant to go full hermie or if i should expect to throw out more bananas. i Just hope it stops popping out bananas and go on flowering normally :(

Thanks for your time mate
Cheers

i trust shanti 100% im sure you missed out on a keeper. i think this strain may throw more variation than one would expect. i dont think mm was made for the sativa leaning phenos it throws. i think it was made for the high thc and cbd indica phenos it contains.

i have seen some issues with people not getting what they've expected but i have also seen medicine man described as too strong.

i am growing 1 girl now i can tell you this she is down to 50% of the nute levels i used to flower my 9 week feminised dutch plants, form has been drastically altered through triple topping and nute burn(stunted) but if i'd have to guess i'd suggest indica leaning.

the nute levels knocked her around a bit, cutting the fertilisers to half as well as trusting and inreasing levels of cannazym and rhizotic to do what there suppost to do and aid in recovery, she has made a reasonable return. not what it could of been but that little tiny bit of extra growth will probably make it worthwhile.

right now im just happy to be growing my own and looking forward to harvest. decided next grow im gonna make it easier on myself and give myself more space.

cheers

it never went full on...i just pulled the bannanas and ended up with a handful of seeds at harvest from each plant (maybe 20-30seeds a plant but not bad at 4ft tall)...it was managable but the first time i had seed in my buds in quite sometime, i saved em all and gave em to members who couldn't afford medman but warned that hermies could pop due to the parents showing some hermie symptoms...never heard how they went as they were passed out and are all now gone, i don't even have any for myself lol but figured it my turn people into the direction of Shanti's medman F-1 and not my accidental pollination stock

Hi guys i have 2 or 3 men man seedling at the moment (one lost its name tag could be black widow) sativa dominated MM seems counter-intuitive will be interesting to see what type females i end up with.

I notice you guys have had some "hermie" issues but only a few male flowers is that relay a hermie or an intersex plant? I cant seem to find much info on the differences ? either way i dont want male flowers so ill keep a close eye on them as they get bigger thanks for the heads up guys :)

Hi guys i have 2 or 3 men man seedling at the moment (one lost its name tag could be black widow) sativa dominated MM seems counter-intuitive will be interesting to see what type females i end up with.

I notice you guys have had some "hermie" issues but only a few male flowers is that relay a hermie or an intersex plant? I cant seem to find much info on the differences ? either way i dont want male flowers so ill keep a close eye on them as they get bigger thanks for the heads up guys :)

Greetings Canna,

To me a hermi is a hermi. Some wrose then others, for sure. I just chopped an ak47 and I found 1 bud on the whole plant that produced 4 seeds. Is it a hermi? Technically yes, but it didn't affect the plant as a whole. Not like I had my whole crop seeded.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

sativaXindica

Hi sativaXindica thanks :) and i guess your right it doesn't relay matter just need to keep my eye on them and hope for no to minimal seeds i'll have the Med Man growing along side some Black Widow will be interesting to see if i notice the difference between the MM and BW and the amount of seeds i'll have over the types i have : -
5 BW
2 MM
1 BWorMM
6 NL5xAfghan
6 c99 BX-1 (mosca)
6 Jillybean (subcool)
3 c99 (femalseedsnl)

I'll look for your grows in the grow section :)

Last edited:
Back