Master Kush x Skunk#1

Reason

Master Kush x Skunk#1

I begin this study by extending a thank you in the direction of Mr. Shanti of Baba, your work is appreciated. Also, an honorable mention goes to Cptn for contributing to my experiences as well.

Instead of adding more posts to this thread, I will simply update this first post with new photos as they are taken. I will also make notes of what updates are made (and when) to keep everyone on the same page.

The Setups
I am currently running a two-room, semi-perpetual harvest system with my bedroom closet as the Mother/Clone nursery and the spare-bathroom shower as the bloom area. The original plan was to run an Ebb & Flow table under my 400w High Pressure Sodium lamp, but menacing vibrations prevented this feet from being accomplished in any sort of reasonable manner. A 50-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck -filled only to 30-gallons- acted as the reservoir, and a flat, translucent Rubbermaid tote with dimensions of around 2’x2’ and 8" deep for the flood tray. A 396gph water-pump connected to a garden hose was used to flood the table and a 3/4" PVC pipe to drain it. I ran the system every 2 hours for 2 minutes; after the first night of running the bloom system, the reservoir had been emptied by half. Around 15-gallons of water disappeared or evaporated or was slurped to nothingness by a pack of rabid mutant weasels -whatever the case may be, it was gone. Naturally, the required amount of nutrients to refill the tank to the 30-gallon capacity every other day was too great; I simply couldn’t afford it, let alone be bothered with the task of emptying that massive Goddamn tank. I switched promptly to the Hempy Bucket and now use about 1-gallon of water every 2 days…what a difference. I couldn’t say what the culprit was –or is, nor do I care at this juncture as things are working out perfectly and I’ll just continue with my current techniques. Vegetative growth takes place in an area lit by a series of CFLs and 2’-fluorescent lamps spanning over a few containers using soil (Fox Farm Ocean Forest/Perlite mixture) and a 10-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck Deep Water Culter system. Eleven 3” holes were drilled into the lid along with two ¼” holes for the air-line hoses but at the moment, I am only using one. I make the pots myself from plastic cups I "acquire" from work.

The Procedures
In the beginning there was only one, a Mexican Sativa from a ‘good’ bag of schwag. When I finally got my MKS delivery, I popped 3 of them promptly –too promptly, in fact. I didn’t have the correct soil and instead used a sub-par brand that I’m too embarrassed to even mention; suffice to say that the 3 seedlings were stunted and I decided to drop 3 more, giving birth to the A-Line (stunted) and B-Line; in any case I got a 3/3 germination rate for both drops.

After all 6 plants reached a suitable height for topping I took one cut of each plant and rooted them in rockwool cubes. I dipped each cutting into -and watered with a mild solution of- Earth Juice Rootstock; roots popped out within 10 days. I transplanted each rockwool cube into a plastic net pot (described above) with Hydroton clay pellets as the medium of choice. After a few weeks, the plants were transplanted into 1-gallon plastic grow-bags and set inside some containers for structural support, the medium is 3-parts Perlite and 1-part Vermiculite –the classic Hempy Bucket.

For vegetative growth I use General Hydroponics Micro at 5mL/gallon and Bloom at 10mL/gallon –low light Lucas Formula, and for bloom I bump it up to 8mL/gallon of Micro and 16mL/gallon of Bloom –high light Lucas Formula; both are working perfectly.

In the Beginning...
Photographs have been updated. (9-10-11)
Photographs have been reorganized to shorten overall thread length. (9-12-11)
Photographs fro weeks 2 and 3 were added. (9-18-11)

I received my shipment around 15 days after sending it out, this photo was taken almost immediately.

6137405543_b49123f1be.jpg

6137405621_b8f5dcdea8.jpg
6137405715_4606a8aa3e.jpg

6137950906_337fce5936_b.jpg

6137950994_5933363ff5_b.jpg

6137405983_59d0619ef1.jpg
6137406111_ec3e5dfc35.jpg

6137951270_4b2b7a7a41.jpg
6137406321_b6f2b134ee.jpg

On to the true test.

6135385310_38558277dd.jpg

Week One
6134837337_8cb1ff14f0_b.jpg
6135385442_b99563bf61_b.jpg
6135385516_8e35b1a5eb_b.jpg

This next photograph is a collage showing a simple, no-brain method to cloning. My wife is somewhat of a gardener in her own right and when she takes cuttings of our porch plants she just sits them in a glass of water until roots show. Well, I had an excess of cuttings from my Mexican Sativa and decided that instead of throwing them away, I'd just try to root them this way. The MexiSat pictured in the flowering room as my control was propagated in this manner.

6134837533_259c18f5d4.jpg

Thank you for your patience. I hope you all enjoy.

NOTICE: UPDATES WILL BE MADE PERIODICALLY AND POINTED OUT WITH RED TEXT.

Last edited:
This is GREAT :D
Lovin' the growlog Reason !
Babies are looking great.
Great details, solid timeline, great pics.

I think it's wild how often the hempy bucket comes to the rescue when our primary plan doesn't work. You and I both did it, and I have seen it before.
What a great option. Nothing like a sure thing is there ;)

All the best Reason!
cptn

great, great, great, great, great :D :D :D

Last edited:
This is GREAT :D
Lovin' the growlog Reason !
Babies are looking great.
Great details, solid timeline, great pics.

I think it's wild how often the hempy bucket comes to the rescue when our primary plan doesn't work. You and I both did it, and I have seen it before.
What a great option. Nothing like a sure thing is there ;)

All the best Reason!
cptn

great, great, great, great, great :D :D :D

A million thanks to you, my friend. I feel like I didn't do very well on the first few collages (I rushed them, will remedy that this afternoon), and I also have another round of flowering pictures taken yesterday morning to get to. Today I am entering week 3 of bloom and the tops look like tight yellow cotton balls. The first round Baby-Daddy is 2B and will have his photo-shoot this evening.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and yes, the Hempy Bucket came to my rescue; cheap and effective.

Good luck all.

I need to ask Scrog what he used to do his Ortega mosaics.
Those were excellent.

Probably Photoshop. I was going to get my wife to make the collages as she's majoring in graphic design and could put together something really special; but she's so swamped with school work that I just threw the pictures together.

I did, however add dates to some pictures and redo others to bring it all together a bit more.

G`day reason

I just happened to be lookin at scrogs thread when I saw this .

Thanks for sharin

Elmer Bud .

I have an old friend who used to LOVE gimp.
Never appealed to me back in the day.
Guess it's worth a second look based on Scrog's output.
Thanks Elmer :)

Week 2 and 3 Update

Week Two
6160451810_586f7489b2_b.jpg

6159912469_bc610d7613_b.jpg

6159913215_bb04d6d003_b.jpg

Week Three
6159913811_e5733bf80b_b.jpg

6159914497_178b6509c2_b.jpg

6159915083_63617830c2_b.jpg

More clones and cuts, and also I removed some closet clutter to give me more room in the vegetation room.

6160450614_4feb051449_b.jpg

6159911293_58f632d398_b.jpg

More to come, soon!

Happy growing.​

G`day Reason

I like the look of this ..

You have a veritable lil clone factory there bro .
As you tune in your garden that area will become more and more the nerve centre of your op .
I probably spend more time tending seedlings and cuts than I do in my flower room . And much of my time in the flower room is just observation . As most of my pruning and training has all ready taken place in the vegg area .

Progressin nicely atm though eh ?

Thanks for sharin

Elmer Bud .

I agree. A majority of my Bloom Room time is spent taking these pictures.

Thanks for your ongoing support, brother. It's nice receive some acknowledgement when in the real world I have to remain silent about my operations.

Lookin good reason.
1b is lookin' sexy, but I think I can see this pheno in Plant 2 at 22 days:
mksk_1.jpg

looks like:

Keep up the great work!

Lookin good reason.
1b is lookin' sexy, but I think I can see this pheno in Plant 2 at 22 days:
mksk_1.jpg

looks like:

Keep up the great work!

It's funny that you bring that up, I was thinking the same thing just last night while looking though your grow-log.

#1B definitely has the skunk structure once flowering sets in -definitely going to be the biggest yield, and #2 stretched like crazy.

4 Weeks of Flowering - 28 Days

All plants were watered with plain Ph'd tap water just before snapping photos to flush salt build ups showing in the Kush plants. The MexiSat is very susceptible to drought, so it wilts more then others when she's thirsty.

My wife also went a bit trigger happy when I asked her to cut off the "lower branches" last week. Got to love 'em though. Still should be a nice harvest, the MexiSat got it the worst; poor gal.

#1B

6177287658_30791db34f_z.jpg

6177289216_265a4657f2_z.jpg

6177290842_7e002f3354_z.jpg

6177292508_54ba2a1539_z.jpg

MexiSat

6177293812_972004d60a_z.jpg

6176766849_5700c92e5d_z.jpg

GROUP SHOT
6176757831_cb75c9fa3a_b.jpg

Hi Reason!
Whats happening in your garden? Would love to get an update.

:D

Sorry, brother. My updates have been few (almost nil) and far between due to working long hours on and off the job.

As for an official update, pictures will have to wait as I have been trying to hunt down my memory card for weeks. I'm fairly certain that my daughter fed it to my dog.

Female #1B is currently my, no pun intended, number one plant. She has an acrid pine scent with an equally tantalizing taste -sweet, but less like sugar or candy and more like fresh green apples. The odor tingles in the upper palette and almost 'stings' or 'bites', so-to-speak. One plant transplanted to the bloom room after 3 weeks of vegetative growth and trimmed down to 4 main tops produced 30.3 grams of dried herb in just over 7 weeks (52 days). Her bud structure and growth clearly resemble her Skunk father, and the taste is a near replica of what I imagine the original Master Kush must've tasted like based on Dr. Baba's testimony. Very heavy flowers, very dense and thick colas. The other female (#2) has a longer, more airy bud structure.

I got lucky -the 6 seeds I planted sprouted, and of 2 females both were heavily Master Kush influenced, one more so in structure then the other. 13 seeds left in the vault and plenty of clones.

Thank you for your vested interest. Sorry to disappoint, I will remedy the situation at once!

. . . pictures will have to wait as I have been trying to hunt down my memory card for weeks. I'm fairly certain that my daughter fed it to my dog.
Hillarious :D

Thank you for your vested interest. Sorry to disappoint, I will remedy the situation at once!

I can't say anything about that. I went 3 weeks between updates in my thread and still haven't posted the pics I promised last night.
I have so many pics, and the upload/link process on the board is such a PIA.

That green apple taste, do you think you could be describing what people call "sour"?

I think the "sour" taste people describe is kind of like the vitamin C sour taste like sweet-tarts candy. Seems like that sour taste could overlay on a bunch of different tastes.
I usually associate it with purple phenos and it seems clearest in the "floral" smelling plants.

7 weeks . . . holy crap. I have been planning on 8-9.

I better do my pollinations tonight if I can. At LEAST collect my pollen for dusting tomorrow.

I am jealous you are done.
Looking forward to the pics from the recovered memory chip ;-)

Describe the high if you don't mind.
Thanks Reason!

Hillarious :D
I have so many pics, and the upload/link process on the board is such a PIA.

I agree.

That green apple taste, do you think you could be describing what people call "sour"?

I hate the internet, too many lines to read between. I'd much rather smoke a couple bowls with you and bullshit, hehe. The green apple was maybe too unclear a description...and I should've also stated that it only comes through in the after taste, once exhaled.

It isn't that the bud tastes like green apples, but was more an analogy for the relationship between the sweet/sour of the smoke's taste. It tastes like I'm eating a taxi cab air freshener (but less perfume-like, more pungent). A bitter/sweet taste.

I think the "sour" taste people describe is kind of like the vitamin C sour taste like sweet-tarts candy. Seems like that sour taste could overlay on a bunch of different tastes.
I usually associate it with purple phenos and it seems clearest in the "floral" smelling plants.

I lost all traces of floral scents once the flowers took off around week 4-5. It returned during drying for about 2 days and then tapered off to a lightly scented musky-pine, the musk hits the back of the tongue and the pine tingles the upper palette of the nasal cavities. Very nice, though not what I would call strong.

7 weeks . . . holy crap. I have been planning on 8-9.

I better do my pollinations tonight if I can. At LEAST collect my pollen for dusting tomorrow.

The plants with the 52 day cycle were clones of the seed plant 1B, 2 actually went for nearly 9 weeks -63 days.

I used a Sable hair paint brush to apply small amounts of flour cut pollen to lower buds at around 3 weeks in, I believe. Chopped at day 52 and had beautiful seeds as a result. Won't actually know what resulted for probably a year or more, but it's still nice to see F2 seeds made by my hands.

I am jealous you are done.

;) All in good time, partner.

Looking forward to the pics from the recovered memory chip ;-)

I'm actually hoping not to go there, hehe. Sifting through excrement is not one of my hobbies.

Describe the high if you don't mind.
Thanks Reason!

Of course, it must've slipped my mind. At the moment I'd describe it as narcotic, but not. Hehe. I know...

Scenario: I roll a joint and smoke it with my wife. It isn't a full on body buzz, but a rush to the back of the eyes and all throughout your legs, shoulders, head and neck. My wife smokes it for migraines and cramps. 30 minutes after the roach goes out she's asleep and I'm fighting the Sandman with all I have left in me. Once motivated by exterior stimulants (work, the kid, a football game, etc.) it becomes a very social high. I'm not a talker by nature, I write. This stuff makes me verbal. Very.

Hope that clears things up!

Safe gardening.

Last edited:
Thanks for that great update. I know how challenging the buzz description is.
I like how you described it. Completely understand that having experienced a much less potent version of that in the tops I've been smoking.

I am gonna update my thread now, you got me all motivated :)

Back