Mango Inbred & LaNina

Aloha Pat,

Looks like things are coming along smashingly. I am interested in the GW study on light; the study setup, etc. - where can I get this info? I have been growing MH/SSH in 11.5 hrs light. I have not observed yield as I am more concerned with finishing earlier. Does this study negate this "idea?" of early finishing? In the past I have also tried to emulate light cycles according to plant derivation. I've used stuff like this: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/thailand/bangkok?month=12&year=2015
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cool runnin
M

Thanks, sys, I know it's waaay over vegged, but I had circumstances beyond my control that delayed the whole show. Lol, I could have EASILY gotten away with 2 plants in there. I've never defoliated before, but then I've never flowered out a 1k scrog tent before either ;)

mu, I'm google schollaring like a madman trying to find that study. No luck yet. I would be willing to bet that I found it in the icmag advanced botany subforum, & I have a feeling that it was a link posted by user 'OnlyOrnamental'. If not by him, probably in a convo/thread that he was in. Guy is a wealth of knowledge, & generally very good at breaking it down to us non PhD's. (starfishes don't even have brains, lol) :p I'll find it for you, & this time I'll save myself a copy.

If I remember correctly, one of the goals was to determine if the 8% energy savings of running 11/13 was worth the trade off in less yield from less photons per day. Guy summarized that there was a greater than 8% decrease in yield. The study MAY have gone into senscience & trichome degradation, but honestly, I don't remember. I do remember that they were working with selected GW clones & that nothing was taken very long (maybe 10 weeks of flower?). Its all stoner speculation till I find the paper, though :D

Thanks for the effort braddahh. The 11.5hr is a good compromise for me. If it ain't broke...

Aloha
M

No doubt Mu. Million ways to skin a cat, no reason to change things up if you are getting full pelts, lol.

Snow @Tahoe.
picture.php

Mo. Peep the ski resort (squaw valley??)
picture.php

St. Therese knows the deal.
picture.php

Offsite plants. 3 days into 12/12.
picture.php

Squatter LaNina offsite.
picture.php

Taller 2 Lanina. Both monsters, one has reasonable tight internodes, though. The hazy one stinks of cedar.
picture.php

Mo...

Showed the noob how to take cuts. She didn;t have any ziplocks or taller clear totes, so I donated the bags I brought to take my own cuts in to make humidity domes lol.
picture.php

So I had to figgure out something to transport my copies 3 hours back home. This is not exactly the kind of place where people have empty fountain soda cups from am/pm laying all over to take fresh cuts into. Gatorade. Be like Mike, ladies.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Work hard play hard. It ain't pollen ;)
picture.php

19 days 12/12 at my spot. I'll get pics up at the end of this week. :cool:

Howdy, y'all :) Day 22ish. No more headroom, I may take the reflector off & go vert. Lots of snapping stalks to keep em in the light & doing that this late is not a yield making move.
picture.php

picture.php

No burnt tops yet, which would have happened by now with a horizontal reflector. We're cool :cool:

EDIT
Cuts of everything rooted, but only one of the LaNina #5's was rooted. I restuck the non rooted one in root gel & that's the one I put into the hempy. 1 cut of each in hempy's, 1 cut in soil. Flowered on first signs of growth or 1 week whatever comes first. Soil is a stab in the dark from home depot, mostly peat & let's hope I put in the 'right' amount of dolomite. Anybody seen my stringy coco & glacial rockdust?? Not here, buddy. May as well be in bikini bottom :p
picture.php

Don't laugh, the veg space is very temporary, it was a long day.
picture.php

Mo...

Last edited:
Made a batch each of THC & CBD cannacoconut oil.

1 gallon water
8-10oz coconut oil
1 oz outdoor b grade tops
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Crockppot for 5-6 hours for CBD & 8-10 hours for THC ( I look for 90%+ of the bubble action to stop) @185-200 deg (med to low & back) Strain, collect then purify by remelting with hot water & re cooling/collecting till collection water is clear. Takes forever, but it's worth it. Medicine.
picture.php

This ain't no diary thread, back to the grow show, chump!

All of the mangos were slower to set flower than all of the LaNinas. Looks like the budstructrures will be completely different with mango wanting to run colas & LaNina wanting to make nuggets. 2 Mangoes are not drinking/waterlogged, but to be fair, they are int he corners of the tent least likely to get airflow & thus get their smartie feet dried out. (1:30 & 4:30) Mangoes also don't appreciate the luxury levels of food.

Mango Haze inbred #1. Shortest & showed bud formation SLIGHTLY ahead of her sisters. Drinking like a beast.
picture.php

Mango #2. Not really drinking. I think of all the plants, I may have kept her waterlogged a bit. We'll see how she does with a few dry spells. Was crowded on initial 12/12 flip but has stretched to ketchup.
picture.php

Mango #3 Possibly the longest flower plant in the tent, but nodes are decently spaced. Sexy thin leaves, but I've also over watered this one. Probablly shows the nutrient toxicity more than any other plant. The shaded tops have slightly hooked leaves. This plant alone may have stretched to fill my screen if given the chance.
picture.php

Mango #4. Dunno what to say. Growing on autopilot. That's a desirable trait.
picture.php

Mo...

EDIT - This pic was orig listed as Mango #2. It's a LaNina & the right pic has been moved in its place.
picture.php

Last edited:
LaNina #1. The only plant I killed the clones from. Unless she is legitimate piff, I just can't use something that has that much stem on it. If it's pif, I'll reveg & get rich selling clones :p
picture.php

Same plant in with a faster LaNina.
picture.php

The one I have my eye on. Best resin coverage ( I know it's early, 3-1 teams are not looking at getting a playoff bye week) so far & looks like she is setting up to yield. Sweet mostly. Was super sweet, now getting creamy-ier.
picture.php

Another quicker LaNina. This plant is directly under the bulb & lucky me it's a squat one relative to her tentmates.
picture.php

picture.php

Later for now

Beautiful rodeo !

Hi PatrickStar !
Superb growth that you made, these two strains are very interesting.
I look forward to follow the end of flowering !
Peace

Thank you both kindly, I have been blessed this grow with no problems other than vegging too long. I edited the Mango haze pictures, one was a lanina originally. I'm looking forward to the rest of the show, too. Been a long time coming, & Valentines day isn't that far away :p

Buzz buzz buzz busy as a bee you are. Fire to the Nina #1 this morn. Yum yum. Your pictures are reassuring. The strain is definitely a keeper. Love the spicy sweet full smoke. Busted out the Mango yesterday going on 5 weeks cure. Can you say delicious- I can! God I hope I can keep my hands off of it to enjoy its fullness down the road. Rich creamy smoke that truly satisfies. Didn't keep clones as a winter cleaning pak needs yet to be gone thru.
Thanks for all the growing tips and if you ever wanna get rid of that bag of "pollen" LMK :D

Cool runnin braddahhs
M

Thank you both kindly, I have been blessed this grow with no problems other than vegging too long. I edited the Mango haze pictures, one was a lanina originally. I'm looking forward to the rest of the show, too. Been a long time coming, & Valentines day isn't that far away :p
i always have nice flowering when vegging long

Pretty plants :)

I really hope the height will remain manageable...
I would worry a little but then again I'm no veteran :D

Good luck bro, looking awesome.

looking good, Patrick.
I have five MH at five weeks of bloom. They are each 5' tall. This is the first time in a long time I didn't top the plants at all. No problems, I'm running a vertical lamp for the tall plants and a horizontal lamp w/reflector for the bottoms and the shorter plants. There is also a 5'+ Mauritius sativa and eleven plants that are not as tall, one is a MH f2. All the shorter plants were not topped either, they had a later start by a few weeks. Funny that the structure of the tall plants are Christmas trees and the shorter plants have little if any branching, single cola. This includes the MH f2.

Bzzzz lol Gotta keep stickin & movin, mu. Rollin stone gathers no moss & all :) Also, I have to find a clone or 2 that I can put into production. I love a seed hunt, but it's a hustle to see as many ladies as possible to pick a winner. You are a lucky Yoda to have flowers of theses strains to roast. I've had my fun with LaNina & with SSH, but not yet with the Mango. She is slllooooowwww growing, so hopefully I get some heavy fire haze that is done under 85 days. Here's to hoping :p

lrv - Vegging longer definitely helps out yield, but it becomes a jungle of stems & a never ending groom job haha. I think I JUST about made it height-wise. How did your Mango smoke, even though they were light in the yield? Could you compare them to any other MrN hazes? I've wanted to run Mango ever since I did SSH & liked the hazier plants in the pack.

Bro - It's 'Orb' backwards. Think about that :D I think I'll get away with my shenanegans this time, but I definitely pushed the envelope (1) letting seedplants get too big pre-flip (2) giving them this much rootspace & light intensity & (3) the fact that sativa genetics just multiply problems #'s 1 & 2 haha.

Shov - I used to run a hybrid hori/cool tube room & it was a good setup for 2-3 taller plants & a few squat or lollypopped things under the hori's. Plants inbetween in the sweetspots generally way out yielded the rest of the room. Honestly I have no idea of what the true plant structure of these is beyond the lankieness of the 2 most sativa dom (the LN with the miles of stem & the sensitive MH). I'm looking for budstructure & resin coverage, honestly. Sucks to say, but the primary focus of this seedrun is to find a clone for commercial production. Doesn't have to be any ole 8 weeker, but has to be fat & frosty.

Offsite plants as of the other day. Fed 3ml dynagro grow every other feed alternating with 3ml Earth Juice Catalyst. Tallest tops are ~6' & those LaNina's are probably the biggest plants I've done indoors. Popped the seeds sometime late August, lol.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Her cuts are killing mine, I had some droopers today when I checked. She has roots in 6 days. Root gel & 50/50 tap distilled with a few drops of dynagro to ph to mid 5's.
picture.php

picture.php

Bro - It's 'Orb' backwards. Think about that :D

Bro stahp ... my mind can only get this blown ....

Fortunately I can't smoke right now because I'm sick or you would have put me into an endless loop of pondering until the effects wore off xD

Re height concerns:
For my future mango hazes I was planning to flip them directly after they grew enough to take cuttings.
Then after taking a clone or two and letting them regenerate for a day or so, I would flip them.

Seeing as the height exploded so much in your case, I now consider letting the clones root and flip them immediately after rooting instead.

Last edited:
If given a choice I don't care to top my sativa plants either. I prefer that they would grow naturally - bending in a horizontal fashion and growing thus if need be. It is a beautiful sight as they grow and lengthen (especially in the first 3-4 weeks- SCARY sometimes) and then explode into foxtail mana the final weeks. Just to see these tiny seeds become pepper and spice monsters is truly wondrous.
Yield isn't my biggest priority as it is personal medicine. Quality is first and foremost. I'd rather have 1oz of MH or LN than 2oz of Blue Dream or whatever OG. I want to know what it is I'm growing and MNS genetics are of a consistent quality. I can't speak for the other stuff which is often inconsistent/inferior in many ways. Hard core old school.
I do what many wizards on this site have suggested to manage height/size: container size, light intensity and proximity, modest feedings, etc. And then there are those Thais that keep inching along... :eek: Gonna espalier these come summer.
IME, MH doesn't leave you much to cut unless it is mature enough; often having to take cuts in the first few weeks of flower. Better to take cuttings from a mother. Now what did I do with the rest of that Mango joint. It was here somewhere... :D

Thanks Patrick for confirming my enthusiasm for these fine plants. No doubt you too will be happy with these selections.

Aloha nui loa
M

Yo Bro, :) 1 of my Mangoes stayed squatish, 3 want to reach for the heavens. The real way to test plants for finding a production clone is to JUST flower the clones. It has been my experience that a substantial difference in most aspects of growing is possible from seed to clone. Sometimes, clones produce 99% similar growing plants to their respective seedplants, but sometimes, there is a very real & quantifiable difference in things like stretch, bud density, flower time, yield respective to other plants in same run, etc. Seems to me that the resin production, vigor, and 'type' of effects stay relitively close from seed to clone but the other traits can and do vary. I've found that clone to clone to clone is the same plant, regardless of the 'generation' of the clone. Bubba is 25 years old, as are some of the OG cuts, and they are being passed hundreds of generations deep (generations from seedplant - ie: the first cut off of a seedplant is the 1st generation, & cuts off of a first generation clone are 2nd generation, etc...) with the same traits time after time. I flowered these seedplants because they were huge & in my current area, even the lower grade indoor homegrown will blow patients minds, lol. Studies have shown a 10-15% increase in cannabinoids from clone flowers versus from the seed plants. More fans in veg/stretch & a 2nd screen would have kept the canopy a little shorter too. Keep in mind I have 6'8" TOTAL height in that tent. I'd be fine with these height plants if I were in a bedrooom with standard 8' ceilings.

Hey Mu :) I generally groom everything. If I'm growing moms for clone production, I groom for shoots. If I'm taking cuttings to stick as clones, I groom lower growth to concentrate hormones, If I'm growing an indy or a single cola dom plant, I lollypop. If I'm under a screen, I do whatever I can to get maximum budsite lighting. With big sativas, I prefer to stick em in the ground & bend pvc hoops over them to toss netting on lololooooo. But inside, I gotta do what I gotta do ;) I prefer quality too, but there is a trade off I'm willing to make right now for some weight, speed & bag appeal. Quality is a MUST, but so are the other traits this time. I'll keep a killer low yielder, but first & foremost I need to find something that will feed the masses, lol. So far, the 2 fastest & heaviest LaNina in my tent have great resin production & smell killer. Honestly, I'm not feeling the smells fromt he Mangoes yet, but they are just getting going. All of them have a woody/earthy smell going on. No fruit, no fuel, no floor cleaner, no incense. 1 Lanina is straight fruity floor cleaner & another is oniony fueley. Both of those are dripping & I'm not yet at 5 full weeks.

For what it's worth, these plants were sprouted with the intention of filling up any leftover space for a 6k run that was going to be predominantly Exodus Cheese & ECSD. I was going to take clones, but they were not going to be the focus of a 'clone hunt'. That 6k didn't happen & guy killed or so stunted the cuts that I just killed them & said fukkit, I'm going clone hunting.

Pic dump coming tonight. Enjoy the first sloppy weather of the year, east coasters :D

I hear ya braddahh. You gotta do what you gotta do. Your logic is spot on. Being that the LN typically finishes earlier...
It is one of the most underrated plants out there. A true ass kickin gem.
I love everything Widow these daze.
Go man go!

Aloha
M

Back