Mango Haze IBL- The Eternal Flame

Aloha fellow firewalkers!

It took me a while to get organized to answer @lozac123 second part of the question. MHI #4 was the earliest plant coming in 6/29- 13 weeks. She was sparse- as I mentioned about the soil. Having her finish drying in paper bags, it did not take away the smell of mango when you stick your head in it. Even the grind was a more intense overripe fruit pungency. An incense aroma and a sweet draw. The hit is an instant rush, almost nervousness. Head at first confused then settle into cruise control at the higher elevations. A calmness ensues. Definitely Cheshire Cat.
Cheshire-cat-4.jpg

And the only reason I'm going on and on is because of this Mango Haze IBL #4. It makes me chatty, peaceful and amiable. This variety is certainly in my top 5 of all-time smokes. Probably in my top 2 when I think about it. Mango Haze sets a high standard. Grow it to experience what a supreme, connoiseur grade hybrid is all about.

BTW a quarter of a doob and I'm higher than shit right now! Shaka 🤙

mu

@Apollo thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if you meant it that way.

I've read chrysanthemum breeders use Terminology the same way you did. I tend to stick with bx though, since fems unfortunately seem to rule the canna market. don't want someone to think i meant fem.

I appreciate your knowledge. Thank you my friend.

Diesel840

Just couldn't rest my head before commenting (great plants btw @musashi ) about the S, IBL and Bx topic - Since the work with Cannabis uses some different routes and tailored ways of growing, breeding etc. i think its often very clouded what somebody means even if many believe they understand what the terms stand for.

When i get plants that are labeled as S generation # in Cannabis these are always the exact same cut on the exact same cut (reversed fe-male ccc x female ccc) resulting in feminized seeds containing amplified mixes of the DNA of the mother cut, often expressing the qualities of the already good cut in a slightly altered and improved way
(usually selfing is used to save a loved cuts potential in seedform)
For prominent example look at Nspectas work. That alone would justify it to me to stick with this meaning of S since he is probably the biggest in the selfing game and it is therefore established in an perpetual usecase.

A Backcross labeled Bx usually stands for crossing a line back to its mother/father (not necesarily fixed on a sex only has to be consistently used once chosen imo thats optimal conditions) usually its something in there thats 'disturbing' wanted qualities and what its actually bred towards and in the process of Bx to Bx is tried to breed out the male influence by taking it back to the mother cut multiple times as seen in Karmas work on the Sour Diesel regulars (KG SD cut x Biker Kush male) backcrossed to the SD cut to improve the SD properties. A good Bx always starts with a donor thats close or beneficial to the dominant partner.

An IBL to my understanding is breeding only inside this one cultivars family members (aaa x bbb male) x (aaa x bbb female) for example and is an overhead statement not further defining what exact male and femal have been used to gain IBL status but rather more the pure family breed. Certain traits get locked in and amplified, certain traits disappear as they are recessive and in a long term the line becomes very uniform.
For example and open pollination from generation to generation could also be accepted as an IBL.

I do this for example with one of my lines that i chose to keep alive for times to come but never had the intention to begin with at the time the mom and dad came together, so inbreeding from F1 stock ever since to keep them around. Now i do weed out weaker plants just by sheer harshness of conditions (as i would do with total fuckups and herms) they have to overcome to become reproduced and have a wider expression of the same genepool by having multiple males on multiple females and not seperating the seedharvest by plants (only special ones i take a few to the side to have the possibility to branch off into certain directions)
So this is one variety bred inside its family. An inbreed line. IBL.
I know some may would argue against it and i get it, the expectations may vary.
Also i usually just label them as Gen. if done this way, followed by the number of generation they have gone from the start (initial F1) to avoid the controversy of this whole discussion and they may take a few more generations until the whole weed world would uniformly accept the IBL label to them but ultimately nobody can argue against it because if no new genetics are introduced in the mix it is indeed inbreeding.
This shows we can apply different techniques to forge genetics and as there are different forms of Damast steel the overall technique to obtain this layered steel is agreed on, but the patterns can vary and so does the end quality of the knive or whatever tool is made of it.

As you see these three labels definitely have all their righteous place and i am not aware of benefits in interpreting it otherwise as it would be highly misleading, imo a word should be used as close to its core meaning as possible to maintain a functional communication.

All these nomenclatures are pretty much self explaining once thought about.

@Diesel840 @Apollo thoughts?

Last edited:
Just couldn't rest my head before commenting (great plants btw @musashi ) about the S, IBL and Bx topic - Since the work with Cannabis uses some different routes and tailored ways of growing, breeding etc. i think its often very clouded what somebody means even if many believe they understand what the terms stand for.

When i get plants that are labeled as S generation # in Cannabis these are always the exact same cut on the exact same cut (reversed fe-male ccc x female ccc) resulting in feminized seeds containing amplified mixes of the DNA of the mother cut, often expressing the qualities of the already good cut in a slightly altered and improved way
(usually selfing is used to save a loved cuts potential in seedform)
For prominent example look at Nspectas work. That alone would justify it to me to stick with this meaning of S since he is probably the biggest in the selfing game and it is therefore established in an perpetual usecase.

A Backcross labeled Bx usually stands for crossing a line back to its mother/father (not necesarily fixed on a sex only has to be consistently used once chosen imo thats optimal conditions) usually its something in there thats 'disturbing' wanted qualities and what its actually bred towards and in the process of Bx to Bx is tried to breed out the male influence by taking it back to the mother cut multiple times as seen in Karmas work on the Sour Diesel regulars (KG SD cut x Biker Kush male) backcrossed to the SD cut to improve the SD properties. A good Bx always starts with a donor thats close or beneficial to the dominant partner.

An IBL to my understanding is breeding only inside this one cultivars family members (aaa x bbb male) x (aaa x bbb female) for example and is an overhead statement not further defining what exact male and femal have been used to gain IBL status but rather more the pure family breed. Certain traits get locked in and amplified, certain traits disappear as they are recessive and in a long term the line becomes very uniform.
For example and open pollination from generation to generation could also be accepted as an IBL.

I do this for example with one of my lines that i chose to keep alive for times to come but never had the intention to begin with at the time the mom and dad came together, so inbreeding from F1 stock ever since to keep them around. Now i do weed out weaker plants just by sheer harshness of conditions (as i would do with total fuckups and herms) they have to overcome to become reproduced and have a wider expression of the same genepool by having multiple males on multiple females and not seperating the seedharvest by plants (only special ones i take a few to the side to have the possibility to branch off into certain directions)
So this is one variety bred inside its family. An inbreed line. IBL.
I know some may would argue against it and i get it, the expectations may vary.
Also i usually just label them as Gen. if done this way, followed by the number of generation they have gone from the start (initial F1) to avoid the controversy of this whole discussion and they may take a few more generations until the whole weed world would uniformly accept the IBL label to them but ultimately nobody can argue against it because if no new genetics are introduced in the mix it is indeed inbreeding.
This shows we can apply different techniques to forge genetics and as there are different forms of Damast steel the overall technique to obtain this layered steel is agreed on, but the patterns can vary and so does the end quality of the knive or whatever tool is made of it.

As you see these three labels definitely have all their righteous place and i am not aware of benefits in interpreting it otherwise as it would be highly misleading, imo a word should be used as close to its core meaning as possible to maintain a functional communication.

All these nomenclatures are pretty much self explaining once thought about.

@Diesel840 @Apollo thoughts?
Totally agree with your interpretation . As to the ibl the chosen plants for breeding is selected for certain traits which the breeder chooses so further amplifying those traits in subsequent crops. Just like how Mango Haze and ssh are sisters both selected for their traits and wonderfully achieved by who worked them into what they are . So open pollination would lead more to it becoming a landrace eventually imo. I love discussions on breeding BTW. That is my 2 cents .

@Islandgrower oh my i didnt dare to use the L word - but as you already spoke it out loud it makes sense if you look at it objectively since this style of reproduction would naturally occur in lets say a valley or another patch where genetics get enclosed but not not overly bottlenecked. How many generations would you consider to be the minimum for something to come into consideration for a landrace status? I'd say 5-10 off the rib. I'd love to hear @shantibaba on the whole topic especially the IBL and S status.

From landrace (heirloom race) to IBL you will need at a minimum 3 to 4 interbred/selection and maintaining them in 18hr mother/father room...but it normally is 6 to 8 as selecting traits blind sometimes has failures along the way. Hope that helps....all the best Sb

From landrace (heirloom race) to IBL you will need at a minimum 3 to 4 interbred/selection and maintaining them in 18hr mother/father room...but it normally is 6 to 8 as selecting traits blind sometimes has failures along the way. Hope that helps....all the best Sb

Thanks for the insights! Would you agree with @Islandgrower theory and my follow up guess, that taking an initial cross from F1 (indoor) over a period of 5-10 generations (not using initial parents but continuing with siblings to siblings) doing semi selective open pollinations (outdoors) with multiple males in multiple females with an total amount per generation of 30ish plants will eventually results in a seedline that has become worthy of the term landrace? If not what would it be called? Thanks for taking the time to school us a little!

Last edited:
@Proud Kraut I tend to agree with your thoughts on breeding nomenclature in the cannabis world. Selfing and backrossing can become tricky since some people utilize different terms, or use the terms a bit differently.

I really like @shantibaba description of landraces as "Family Breeds", I am fairly certain I am paraphrasing his term, but I feel it is more accurate. I've always considered the original Landraces that all hybrids are based off of as climate and geographicly aclimated heirlooms. So, Shantis moniker of "Family" fits perfect.

Thank you so much for posting this for all of us. We appreciate you snd your time Shantibaba. Thank you.

Diesel840

@Proud Kraut I tend to agree with your thoughts on breeding nomenclature in the cannabis world. Selfing and backrossing can become tricky since some people utilize different terms, or use the terms a bit differently.

I really like @shantibaba description of landraces as "Family Breeds", I am fairly certain I am paraphrasing his term, but I feel it is more accurate. I've always considered the original Landraces that all hybrids are based off of as climate and geographicly aclimated heirlooms. So, Shantis moniker of "Family" fits perfect.

Thank you so much for posting this for all of us. We appreciate you snd your time Shantibaba. Thank you.

Diesel840

Exactly, thats why i only apply terms that to my understanding describe the exact happening/product/method.
Brandon Rust made a good point in a direction i was also steering into the last years, coming from organic and using minerals has really created some paradoxons at first sight since minerals are not organic whatsoever. They can built up over time from organic matter like certain stonemeals that contain mainly shells of sea creatures from the times of the dinosaurs but are in fact not organic anymore. So how to distinguish it, how to formulate it correctly? As simple as can be and as complex as it must be, the keyword is Natural. And it also naturally points out the issues and potential harm coming from the opposite, synthetic, industrial, denaturalized products.
Rambling again...correct thoughts, correct speech, correct deeds, correct transition of the information...

I hope I am not speaking out of turn but thought I'd share my understanding of landrace. Semantics being what it is; in the truest sense of the word- "Landrace is simply a designation to describe its genetic purity and indigenous upbringing."

Some criteria:
1) "Broadly speaking, a Landrace is a pure cannabis strain cultivated in its natural environment which has never been crossbred with another variety."

Think Kalamata.

2) "Landrace strains are usually named after their country or region of origin. For example, Acapulco Gold and Panama Red are sativas from Mexico and South America respectively; Hindu Kush and Pure Afghan are indicas from the Afghanistan/Pakistan region."

3) "Landrace strains, having grown wild and indigenously over the years throughout various regions in the world with virtually no variations from one plant to another, these strains maintain remarkable consistency. You won’t find hybrid ‘landrace’ strains — generally, they are either 100% Indica or Sativa."

4) "Out of their indigenous environment, they must now learn to mature under an entirely different set of growing conditions. In response, the plant will take on new characteristics that not until many generations will it then stabilize and find an equilibrium. No longer will that strain perfectly resemble the original strain, but instead will now be a phenotype instead of a true Landrace."

Epigentics has an impact.

mu

Only few points i disagree here other than that i definitely think this is actually true (and probably the best description somone could put together uasing traditional terminology).

In fact you really find many lines that are landraces but are made up of a certain mixture of landraces. Simply the fact men has traveled with his seeds and growinh certain varieties on his path has already impacted the cultivated plants. What has now grown over decades or centuries wildly maybe had been once cultivated and just bewildered after beeing abandoned.

Besides the Indica and Sativa categories beeing traditionally widely agreed on- are at least misleading in many ways.

What comes up when we look up the actual meaning of Sativa
- it means cultivated...a latin word.

Indica beeing the same as calling native Americans Indians...there are Indians and there are Indicas, but both come from India. As th Afghanica comes from the Afghan region, as does.Hindu Kush, but the Hindu Kush mountain region also includes Pakistan,
Tajikistan and touches the west of the Himalayas. So i think if these are the categories we try to apply we will definitely fail to find something 100% 'pure' as the only distinctive borders here are drawn on maps.

I really love the description of beeing indigenous and i am not sure if it has to breed completely on its own as long as no completely different cultivar brought from afar is bred in by purpose. But then again what is pure? To me something true breeding has also a certain purity even beeing mixed.

Soil grown without a doubt is also a factor i would agree on since this is the actuall commection to the land of this race.

Although the thought of creating something worthy beeing considered a landrace is tempting i agree it is not the real deal. But i think we can breed something towards this direction but will have to come to a different term. Maybe the word native cultivar could fit, since you can become native to a certain region after time and adaption?

Edit: I highly doubt that Kalamata has never been crossbred but is probably true(breeding) in its mixture.

latest

Last edited:
Back