Living Soil

My experience obviously was fresh chicken shit, i have no coop but had 'access' to fresh stuff from the inside of coops i think where the holders cleaned the shit banks and i had them fill my bucket. I wont use it again this fresh 🤣
Having acces to properly aged and composted source is of course favorable, the straw also helps shaving some spikes off the CN ratio, good stuff!

Yeah biochar wants to be activated and fed a few nutrients to it and i havent dived into the PH side of thing but it beeing alkaline makes sense, but thats a learning curve with any ingredient.
A good source will offer activated or at least point out the differences...

I see what you say about the branding and how you dislike it because if your experience but all this doesnt make charcoal a bad input and you can also easily produce it in your backyard instead of sourcing industrial.

That last argument is kinda leading nowhere looking at what really happens globally its just not even close to any real issue. The gases are burnt by the heat if done properly, thats the reason why no smoke appears in a proper setup.
I think your issue with biochar is possibly more personal than anything else and you look for an argument that accompanies your POV.
Which is common human behaviour but lets just make a point, its not some kind of nuclear meltdown, petrochemical catastrophy or synthetic compound leaking into a river.

Its just carbon...made from wood...

🪵🔥

Fair enough.

I do have a slight problem with cutting trees down that are already sequestering carbon and burning them in an effort to reduce carbon.

It seems counterintuitive.

The biofuel industry is very wasteful.

Listening to them is like listening to a fox talk about how he should be in charge of the chickens.

I would rather be strapped to a chair and forced to listen to Vogon poetry or be ear-bashed about photography by a passive-aggressive attention seeker.

Last edited:
@Uncle Jack i get it, i wouldnt cut any tree down for it, makes no sense, only if guys are point blank commercial it may be good maths.

You can really do it like that, or check out videos about the Kon Tiki method.
Shit you can even dig a little hole and make it right there.

Theres really no need for big chunks of wood, you can utilize stems and stalks from your Cannabis harvest or whatever harvest, or use cuttings from bushes or whatever comes free and gets chopped anyway. Smaller pieces are no issue in fact the charcoal reasonably fine grade is said to perform just as well if not better - higher surface area.
The good thing about this is you are completely in charge and if i was you i would try it in the chicken coop with some Em1 possibly amd i bet it will step the game up, also chickens can pack it up and clean their stomaches with the carbon particles.

This is basically about turning 'waste' product into prime product.

Back