Living Soil

I pinched this off the internet.

Make Your Own Bokashi LAB​

To make your own Bokashi LAB (Lactic Acid Bacteria) for fermenting food scraps, you can follow these steps:
  • Obtain a source material: Use a vegetable or fruit with a high water content, such as cabbage, carrot tops, or apple scraps. These will serve as a substrate for the LAB growth.
  • Create a brine solution: Mix 1 part water with 1 part salt (preferably unrefined, like sea salt or kosher salt). This will help create an environment conducive to LAB growth.
  • Inoculate the substrate: Place the chopped source material in a clean container and cover it with the brine solution. This will allow the natural LAB present on the surface of the vegetables to colonize and multiply.
  • Ferment the mixture: Store the container in a warm, dark place (around 70°F to 80°F or 21°C to 27°C) for 7-14 days. During this time, the LAB will break down the organic matter, producing lactic acid and creating a fermented liquid.
  • Harvest the LAB serum: After fermentation, strain the liquid through a cheesecloth or fine-mesh sieve to remove any solids. This liquid is your homemade Bokashi LAB serum, which you can use to inoculate your bokashi bucket or other fermentation projects.
Tips and Variations
  • Use a variety of source materials to create a diverse LAB population.
  • Add a small amount of sugar or molasses to the brine solution to provide additional energy for the LAB.
  • Monitor the fermentation process by checking for signs of activity, such as bubbles, foam, or a sour smell.
  • Consider using a fermentation vessel with a weight or stone to keep the substrate submerged and promote anaerobic conditions.
  • Be patient and flexible, as the fermentation process may take longer or shorter depending on factors like temperature and substrate composition.
By creating your own Bokashi LAB, you can develop a customized inoculant for your bokashi bucket and enjoy the benefits of a locally adapted, diverse microbial community.

@thaseus92 yes i've used EM1 solution and increased the culture with unsulfured molasses =EMa / a for active or activated.

My tip is definitely try it you'll probably love it and yes EM can be used to clean but I have not used it for this purpose yet.

I am familiar with Florganics and dig the concept, it's high quality but a bit snobby I rather get my own hands dirty and do my homework to get the best quality.

Peat can be used, I actually think peat sucks from an environmental and also rehydration perspective. I've used peat in the past and almost every bag came with fungus gnats.

I use a base mix of coco and compost.
But coco usually has to be charged before usage for the CEC. Not an expert in the filed but I use gypsum for that reason.

I would post my current recipe but it's still not refined to the point I would want others copy me and maybe run into issues I am up to take to find my special mix.

Last edited:
I mean honestly what happend with this living soil hype that u can easily sell people mostly peat thats the greatest enviormental crime at all for this price...

Peat Moss vs Coco Coir: the Ugly Truth!

Premier Tech Peat Moss Harvesting & Sustainability

Canadian Peat Bog Harvesting & Restoration

Peat Production Management

Wise Use of Peatlands

And what would you all say to peat as base ingredient for living soil ? Doesnt sounds smart to me...

I respectfully disagree. Why do you say it's not a good base ingredient?

Nutrients and Peat Soils Research

Last edited:
Okay freedomfighter i will take a look at this, but at this point i was quite sure peat isnt a good thing in our grades. So far i knew is peat the greatest carbon safe on land and should be preserved because the living space they offer that is unique.
In our country are only 1% peatland untouched...

And sorry restauration of peat fields means in my mind that they needed to be destroyed or be on the edge of that before.

But looks like you are right FreedomFighter they managed to crop peat in a not so bad way but if its good for the enviorment? Couldnt figure it out from these videos.

They even said the sustainable use of peat is one of the most efficent ?!

But cant get it what peat gives for special traits to the earth? Complete wrong PH-level, doesnt gives that much water away, can maybe be better than coco but thats the same shit for me.

Isnt it easy possible to replace it with some clay/mineral ingredients? They safe water quite the same, easy ph control, more surface for bacteria, reuseable, and most of them are only extruded clay.

And if you have some garden and space to grow and make outdoor try to green-fertilize your beds. We in Germany use Winterrye for that. Can be planted in Autmn and ripes over the winter and then you hack it down and put it in the soil.

Brings air and slow releasing Nutrients to the soil and feeds the bacteria in the soil for the first sunny days in spring. Also can put the straws in fresh compost and dont let them fully rot and you have some very good aired up soil.

My tip is definitely try it you'll probably love it and yes EM can be used to clean but I have not used it for this purpose yet.
Yeah funny thing is one of our greatest brewerys at home used theyr residue from those big beer tanks to make there own EM and i got some of them as cleaning present some years ago.

Thanks for that Produkraut and UncleJack. Never heard of that LAB thing at all. Guess there is a new plan for the dark winter months.

Last edited:
@Freedom_Fighter I pretty much had my two main points mentioned about peat, if this was also adressed towards me but I think we talk generally so I reply.

What is it about peat that you think is so great?

Not even trying to make the dark sides of coco look better but fact is there's an industry around it, it's a source that renews pretty fast as the plants grow and it got great water holding capacities plus is relatively stable in its structure so will hold its volume for a reasonable time - and I don't throw my substrate away, its there to stay.

You hear people all the time telling you they're 'soil' growers but these 'soil' growers most often run a peat perlite mix that is actually labeled as soilless medium - because peat is no soil and perlite neither.
And then they dump some bottled nutes on top and call it a day.
To each their own but that's not for me.

Coco by itself is also a soilless medium btw.

Sustainable peat farming sound like greenwashing to me. Any idea how long it takes to build up that peat layer? Yeah, not happening any time soon.

Sustainable peat farming sound like greenwashing to me. Any idea how long it takes to build up that peat layer? Yeah, not happening any time soon.
See it the same way. and also sealing of surfaces all over the world is a massive problem for the enviorment and then they crop 1 small layer peat und drive over the field with that big machines that sure dont drive by solar energy.

I respectfully disagree. Why do you say it's not a good base ingredient?
I got your Point @Freedom_Fighter peat isnt a bad thing in general but for the ratio of use/abuse of nature isnt better than anything also available for a cheaper price for the planet. Same for coco.
I mean honestly what can a peat mix can give to your earth that you wont get from the same mix with Terra Preta, Seramis, Vulcanic Rocks or even some good clay pebbles.
Good humus is always around u just need to figure out where to get. And its always possible to made even Terra Preta from only waste material. And by god didnt we produce more waste as we recycle?
If you could get the food the next 5 supermarkets around throw away each day and made compost and bokashi out of it and throw in some charcoal made of wood wastes i bet you get a way better Terra Preta compared to Peat.
Since im in a foodsaver network i bring home more plant based material as my father as gardener, its quite insane.
there is so much what ends as waste not in an useful cycle so why take something out of some unique and worth preserving cycle that we think we can control but in fact harm reducted abuse?

See it also that way all my books see coco as hydroponic medium not as soil.

a Link for some who may be intrested in green fertilizing beds/gardens. a really good supplier of old seed strains that fit the regional clima and are quite resistant and also can be used to make own new seeds. nice people who run this and they deserve some support.

Last edited:
@Freedom_Fighter I pretty much had my two main points mentioned about peat, if this was also adressed towards me but I think we talk generally so I reply.

Hey Proud Kraut,

I'm certainly not a "soil scientist," nor an expert on this topic, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know this is a hotly debated topic, among the "experts"; meaning there is no concensus among them.

When thaseus92 described the "peat" industry as "the greatest enviormental crime" of all, and that it's use as a base for living soil mixes is stupid, more or less, well it was hard for me to just let that slide and say nothing about it; especially since I'm Canadian, where the peat industry is very large.

It's one thing to hold firmly to one side of a hotly debated topic, but when you begin to call us on the opposite side stupid enviromental criminals, well, that's going a bit too far, in my opinion. I'm certainly not going to resort to such name calling, but will stick to rational argumentation. I try hard to keep an open mind to "the science" and evolve my understanding over time.

What is it about peat that you think is so great?

One of the leading producers of organic living soil, in North America, is a company named KiS Organics. It has a YouTube channel that is well worth subscribing to, in my opinion. KO has an article posted on its website, which I refer you to, entitled:

Peat vs Coco Coir : KiS Organics

This article lists 8 "Pros of Peat Moss," which is a good place to start:

1. Free of weed seeds, pests and pathogens.
2. Can absorb up to 20 times its dry weight in water.
3. Contains beneficial microorganisms.
4. Acidic pH (a "pro" in my opinion because you can add highly alkaline amendments to it).
5. Contains a variety of elements, especially sulfur, which helps with proper terpene expression.
6. Excellent habitat for beneficial microorganisms.
7. Harvested in North America, which reduces the fossil fuel impact to get it to the United States.
8. Better C:N ratio than coco coir.

The C:N ratio of peat moss is 60:1. Now, I must admit that I've taken these claims in good faith, without ever trying to debunk them, because I trust KiS Organics to be a science based and highly ethical company; the furthest thing possible from being stupid, environmental criminals.

The article also lists some "cons" as well, as there are both "pros & cons" to both peat and coco. If you believe the eight listed "pros" are inaccurate, I'm quite open to examining your counter arguments. Feel free to debunk them, if possible.

Not even trying to make the dark sides of coco look better but fact is there's an industry around it, it's a source that renews pretty fast as the plants grow and it got great water holding capacities plus is relatively stable in its structure so will hold its volume for a reasonable time - and I don't throw my substrate away, its there to stay.

I'm certainly not Anti-Coco-coir. Far from it, but I have never grown with it. If I was into sterile growing with synthetic fertilizers, though, I'd probably use coco. My decision to do so would not be affected, in any way, by the "hype" around the "global warming" debate. The global warming "science" is far from "settled", imo. The solar activity of the sun has a far greater impact upon climate than anything else, carbon emissions included.

As for the structural stability of peat moss, there is an old video of the tomato farmer who created the Earthbox, in which he claims to have had many Earthboxes filled with a standard peat moss mix, that he had grown consecutive crops in for 9+ years, with no rest periods and never changing the mix.

He has since moved on to better pastures, so we can't ask for an update on how many years he grew in the same unchanged peat mix, with no breaks in between crops. I can post a link to the video if there's any interest.

You hear people all the time telling you they're 'soil' growers but these 'soil' growers most often run a peat perlite mix that is actually labeled as soilless medium - because peat is no soil and perlite neither.
And then they dump some bottled nutes on top and call it a day.
To each their own but that's not for me.

Yes, that's a bit like growers referring to "soil" as dirt. Many a soil scientist, if not all of them, take issue with referring to soil as "dirt". They are not the same thing, to the educated farmer.

To your point, though, a soilless mix is definitely not soil; though it can be easily converted into a living soil. I'll refer you to another online article by KiS Organics:

7 Important Things When Building a Living Soil – KiS Organics

"It starts with a good base mix. My preference is approximately 50% sphagnum peat moss, 33% aeration (we use 1/3 large and 2/3 medium pumice in our soils), and 17% high quality compost and/or earthworm castings. Many people will go with 1/3 peat, 1/3 aeration, and 1/3 compost. I chose to adjust this based on research showing around 20% to be the optimal amount of earthworm castings on potting mix. You can also use coco coir or other substrates instead of peat moss but see my article on peat vs coco for why peat is my hands down choice."

Since I'm just an "amateur," I will readily concede that there are places where peat farming is not sustainable; but also places where it definitely is sustainable. The time it takes to regrow it is taken into full consideration, and factored into the total equation, of sustainable practices.

However, the argument strikes me as a little like comparing apples to oranges, in some sense.

Cheers! - FF

Last edited:
It's one thing to hold firmly to one side of a hotly debated topic, but when you begin to call us on the opposite side stupid enviromental criminals, well, that's going a bit too far, in my opinion. I'm certainly not going to resort to such name calling, but will stick to rational argumentation. I try hard to keep an open mind to "the science" and evolve my understanding over time.
Sorry Freeom_Fighter really wasnt my intention to call or blame you stupid or criminal in any way nonetheless i apologize for the childish sharp words in my previous statements. Dont wont to blame the canadian peat industry either.
Just had this bad vibes in my words because this company i mentioned above sells mostly peat as living soil for that price of 1$ per liter. Wasnt against peat users in general!

Points been made.

One thing about peat mining - wouldn't call it farming as it doesn't grow - is just the fact that it does no good for our already heavily tense relationship with nature. That's that. It would not ever be a problem if, like in Scotland or Ireland where they used it traditionally to make fire and distill Whiskey, it would be used locally where it occurs.

But if you start mining an organic source that takes longer than the folks mining it could count to built up and distribute it globally there will be an environmental deficit as inevitable result.
Also big companies always train hard to make it look less bad since it's their way of income, no matter where on the planet, known scheme.

But as said in the intro, points been made.
And if someone does 9 years with the same mix (earth boxes / sip in general are great) and uses peat successfully that's mighty fine. He does value the Ressource then. We all use resources and some naturally go to waste I think learning how to avoid that or even better reverse it is what this should be about.

I want to say something to your little list:

1. Free of weed seeds, pests and pathogens.
2. Can absorb up to 20 times its dry weight in water.
4. Acidic pH (a "pro" in my opinion because you can add highly alkaline amendments to it).
5. Contains a variety of elements, especially sulfur, which helps with proper terpene expression.
6. Excellent habitat for beneficial microorganisms.
7. Harvested in North America, which reduces the fossil fuel impact to get it to the United States.
8. Better C:N ratio than coco coir.

1. Comes naturally as peat forms from plant matter in stagnant water areas, but I had plenty gnats that came with the peat and also a few seeds sprouted.
Just a fact.
2. May be, but sucks at rehydrating as it gets hydrophobic. Been there.
5kg coco brick soaked with 30L water makes +-50L and I'm good with 6 times the amount of dry weight, especially handy when you store some bricks unused vs bags of peat that may get infested with gnats or other critters.
3. Really? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
4. Coco says #me2
5. Never in reasonable amounts if unamended, horn meal or gypsum will deliver reasonable sulfur amounts.
6. Coco and activated charcoal say #me2
7. ...I see an eagle in the sky holding a peat bag. He then drops it to pick up a coco brick. But true, container ships burn a whole lotta heavy crude oils.
8. ...'better' depends on what you do with it right and 60:1 still screams drowned wood. :ROFLMAO:

I don't judge the manufacturer but these arguments are weak if not non existent to me. The soil they produce could still be great, I just don't agree that this list give peat any advantage over coco other than it's readily available in north america where this happens.

Just learning myself and it's a dynamic process but yeah peat is like HPS, there are people that can't live without it but many better ways and time will make both a thing of the past soon. Probably.

I've never ran salts on plain coco, I always do a mix and many voices say its not the best choice either, and they're probably right.
But for me it has been a better choice than peat.

The journey has not ended yet.

Terra Preta will be the future.

Last edited:
I used to drive to all the coffee shops to pick up material but it simply was not economical or time efficient for me after awhile. I did maintain a compost pile feeding with food scraps and carbon sources. I used to drive to the beach and harvest kelp too. It provided an excellent addition to my outside soil for sure. It was fine for my OD grows but not realistic for ID as I am a single person limited to a single grow room. Agreed, coco is another hydro effort merely providing substrate but it was a gnat magnet for me. Maybe I'm missing something here. With all the time and effort involved, I would be interested in seeing examples of your plants that are grown using these methods. Have you verified that plants grown this way are superior as opposed to using salts like JR Peters Jack's Classic supplemented with teas? Any pics you braddahs willing to share in a comparative way? Not knocking it just wonder about the time, effort, expense and sourcing.

mu

I think there's no such thing as veryfying what's better, I see guys pull amazing yields and quality bud from coco and salts all day but I am convinced for myself organic, LOS, whatever the name is the way to go.

It's always also the grower and what's for him.

I may add I've checked the KIS site after my comment and they're actually not saying peat is better or coco is better but have listed pros and cons for both which is the way to go, open minded.

I'm not as open minded any more as I am narrowing down my path, gone astray and tried a few things but rather stick to one style, regardless the style it has to be gradually mastered like martial arts to achieve the next level.

The salts with teas on coco is a nice hybrid way as you have the ease of control for inputs and may benefit from microbial activity in the terp profile range.

All i can say, as stated before, never used plain Coco with salts.
To me it's just a base ingredient.
Not sure where your gnat issues came from with coco but for me it was reverse, I had the issue with peat. Maybe you get the same issue with bagged coco where gnats slip in, I only use bricks that have to be soaked and there is no way they come with gnats in that form.

Coco. Coco and soil. Soil. Super soil. Back to soil with amendments. More amendments. Back to soil with select amendments. Many of us have gone through our own r/evolutions by experimenting, gaining experience, doing our best at any given moment. It is amazing how well these weeds do considering all the stuff we throw at them. We are blessed!

mu

I think there's no such thing as veryfying what's better, I see guys pull amazing yields and quality bud from coco and salts all day long

Grow-Off California Winner (Jahrome) Talks Shop

Jahrome talks about his Grow-Off winning indoor plant, which produced a dry yield of nearly 4 lbs (1.8 kg); from just 1 plant, grown in 100% Rockwool, in a 12 gal Air-pot, fed with synthetic nutes. Photos appear at the 6:50 point of the video. Great video, overall. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Grow-Off California Winner (Jahrome) Talks Shop

Jahrome talks about his Grow-Off winning indoor plant, which produced a dry yield of nearly 4 lbs (1.8 kg); from just 1 plant, grown in 100% Rockwool, in a 12 gal Air-pot, fed with synthetic nutes. Photos appear at the 6:50 point of the video. Great video, overall. Highly recommended.

Got some old Seedbank of Holland / Sensi and SSSC repro catalogues from AKBeanBrains (Big shout out and much love to him and the crew) from the 80s to early 2000s era and the SSSC catalogue includes a how to for Rockwool.
They've been hitting that spot since the 80s and to my knowledge most of the commercial Holland Haze operation have been running wool and synths and some still is grown this way.
Big grow ops for medical also do Rockwool.

Rockwool and Yara salts, this is no insider info it's all out there in the forums, only have to dig a little.

To me that's not the right way.
It's simply cash cropping.
No life in the medium, completely artificial inputs and rootzone ontop of artificial lighting.

And Rockwool and Salts (not the natural occuring) are definitely not part of any Organic or Living Soil system, it is opposing all it's principles.

That said I may still check that vid out later.

Myth Series: Peat-Based Growing Media are Sterile | PT Growers and Consumers
https://www.pthorticulture.com/en-u...h-series-peat-based-growing-media-are-sterile

"There is an assumption that peat moss and peat-based growing media are sterile. People are surprised to find out that this is not true. If peat moss was sterilized, then it would have no living organisms in it, like bacteria and fungi. However, the presence of natural, beneficial microorganisms in Sphagnum peat moss is essential for a healthy crop."

Are PRO-MIX products sterilized?

Presence of Mold on Peat in Bales

"Sphagnum peat moss contains numerous microorganisms that occur naturally in peat bogs, including the bacteria Bacillus, the actinobacteria Streptomyces, the fungi Penicillium, Trichoderma and Mucor, to name a few."

Beneficial microorganisms in peat
https://www.kekkilaprofessional.com/growing-tips/beneficial-microorganisms-in-peat/

"Some common bacteria found in peat break down and suppress pathogens like Rhizoctonia and Fusarium, which can cause collar rot and root rot. Bacteria like Bacillus and Streptomyces species found in peat produce certain natural antibiotics that prevent harmful bacteria growing in the soil."

The most significant of the microbes, for me personally, which are present in peat moss, is the Streptomyces:

Soil Dwelling Bacteria : Streptomyces

Streptomyces Exploration : Trends in Microbiology

What are Streptomyces and why are they good for your garden? || Neutrog TV

EDITED TO ADD:

Streptomyces : An Overview

Streptomyces as a plant's best friend? | FEMS Microbiology Ecology | Oxford Academic

Streptomyces alleviate abiotic stress in plant by producing pteridic acids | Nature Communications

"We report that Streptomyces effectively alleviate drought and salinity stress by producing spiroketal polyketide pteridic acid H (1) and its isomer F (2)."

Synergistic effect of co-culture rhizosphere Streptomyces: A promising strategy to enhance antimicrobial activity and plant growth-promoting function - PMC
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9403869/

"Rhizosphere Streptomyces play an important role in plant growth ...and induce plant disease resistance."

STUDY CONCLUSION: The study showed that the co-culture of Streptomyces albireticuli MDJK11 and Streptomyces albofavus MDJK44 had a synergistic effect compared with the monoculture, which could enhance the function of dissolving phosphorus and nitrogen and promoting the growth of wheat roots and seedlings. Moreover, the co-culture also has a good control effect on wheat, corn, and tobacco diseases infected by pathogenic fungi. Based on metabonomics analysis, the material basis of growth promotion and disease prevention of Streptomyces were plant hormones and antibiotics, respectively. And co-culture conditions can significantly induce Streptomyces to produce a more abundant and higher content of the above substances. The research provides a scientific basis for Streptomyces to be used in plant growth promotion and disease prevention and further provides references for microbial co-culture mode to achieve synergy.

Streptomyces Endophytes Promote Host Health and Enhance Growth across Plant Species | Applied and Environmental Microbiology

Enhanced production of select phytocannabinoids in medical Cannabis cultivars using microbial consortia
A. https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/plant-science/articles/10.3389/fpls.2023.1219836/full
B. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/streptomyces#:~:text=Streptomyces, in the rhizosphere and,insect pests and plant pathogens.

"Streptomyces, in the rhizosphere and rhizoplane, help crops in enhancing shoot and root growth, grain and stover yield, biologic nitrogen fixation, solubilization of minerals (such as phosphorus and zinc), and biocontrol of insect pests and plant pathogens."

Streptomyces as a promising biological control agent(s) for plant pathogens

Last edited:
Got some old Seedbank of Holland / Sensi and SSSC repro catalogues from AKBeanBrains (Big shout out and much love to him and the crew) from the 80s to early 2000s era and the SSSC catalogue includes a how to for Rockwool.
They've been hitting that spot since the 80s and to my knowledge most of the commercial Holland Haze operation have been running wool and synths and some still is grown this way.
yeah a lot of people i knew that a growing in big time operations also switched to this medium, couldnt believe they use partly PU as medium ?! But saw it in real life and guess when you know how to handle you can rock each substrate. But i hear the same thing from all sides, crop increases and qualitiy decreases.
All fellows i knew so far that want some good smokeable and clean endproduct switched back to bio and real soil rather then to get that 20% plus in crop but therefore some way worster product. I mean dont get me wrong, the buds they produced with Hydroponic where insane.
But the whole group felt there is some sharp close to medical residue in the taste and even with long flushing cycle and one even used some flushing stuff from Advanced Hydroponic if i remember right but it didnt came out like something grown on soil.

Grodan RFX-1 Rockwool PU Flakes

RFX-1 is a revolutionary substrate that combines the benefits of PU (polyurethane) and rock wool and is reinforced with natural binders. Designed to stimulate root growth through biological additives, while providing protection against fungal or bacterial attack. The sophisticated mixture guarantees an optimal oxygen and moisture balance, making it particularly suitable for hydroponic cultivation systems.
Key Features:

Optimized mix: Perfectly balanced ratio of rock wool and PU flakes for ideal oxygen and moisture supply.
Biological Soil Life: Already enriched with beneficial microorganisms to promote healthy root growth.
Protection against infestation: Designed to minimize the risk of fungal or bacterial infestation.
Neutrality: pH and EC neutral, contains no nutrients.

Guess at the end of the day it matters most how well you can work with the right substrate and how does it fit your needs in case of quality/quantitiy.

Streptomyces Exploration : Trends in Microbiology

'Exploring' the regulation of Streptomyces growth and development

How Streptomyces thrive: advancing our understanding of classical development and uncovering new behaviors

Streptomyces behavior and competition in the natural environment

Streptomyces exploration: competition, volatile communication and new bacterial behaviours

Streptomyces exploration is triggered by fungal interactions and volatile signals
A. https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.21738.001
B. https://elifesciences.org/articles/21738

Exploration of chemical interactions between Streptomyces and eukaryotes

Streptomyces Volatile Compounds Influence Exploration and Microbial Community Dynamics by Altering Iron Availability

Cryptic specialized metabolites drive Streptomyces exploration and provide a competitive advantage during growth with other microbes

Streptomyces: The biofactory of secondary metabolites

Rockwool and Yara salts, this is no insider info it's all out there in the forums, only have to dig a little.

To me that's not the right way.
It's simply cash cropping.
No life in the medium, completely artificial inputs and rootzone ontop of artificial lighting.

And Rockwool and Salts (not the natural occuring) are definitely not part of any Organic or Living Soil system, it is opposing all it's principles.

That said I may still check that vid out later.
Wow man that is incredible! So cool to have in the collection

Back