Living Soil

As a vegetarian I like that this compost uses no dead animal products. They will have some rich loose soil with their compost added. My grandmother used kitchen vegetable scraps in her compost and she also threw in egg shells.
Bro thats sweet but also nonsense to exclude bodily remains in general.

Its part of nature.

If it wasnt the planet was covered in dead bodies.

Also not a fan of the bigtime meat industry, rather eat less but quality, then again we can close the circulation of resources gap by upcycling these waste products into valuable fertilzer.
Fermentation and use of benficial funghi along with classic composting (in which a plethora of concepts happen all together but often take more time) we can really get the best out of it while breaking down some of the lesser wanted things like pathogens and pesticides that may be present.

He does use dead chickens and pigeons as activators.

I think he mentions that fish is also an excellent ingredient in compost.

If these activators are not acceptable Comfrey can be used as a supplement/replacement.

One of the good points of living soil and organics is that the only inputs needed are wood chips, leaves, green waste and an activator.

All the other amendments that shops sell can be added to the compost but the question is why spend all that money when the starting ingredients can be had for free?

If worm castings and worm juice/comfrey/compost tea can be used as an addition to this then it can all be free.

It's a closed system where all you have to pay for is the base ingredients that you cannot collect yourself from nature. i.e woodchips

Food scraps from the kitchen feed the wormfarm etc etc.

Seen examples with worms in the medium that have been pretty much outstanding.

Best for beds tho.

Worms are definitely stepping the game up!

iu

You'll have to watch th C/N ratio a tille when you use woodchips, they are very C heavy.

For urban areas with not much space for a wormfarm one can utilize a Bokashi system. The runoff from a Bokashi bucket is literally one of the best things ive ever fed to plants.

That said my homemade buckets started leaking at the silicon sealing and are currently out of business.
One can also ferment in a closed container like a glass jar or the likes.

Because of low pH every Bokashi has to be mixed into soil a few weeks prior to use, it will blend in and lose its sharpness.

As a vegetarian I like that this compost uses no dead animal products. They will have some rich loose soil with their compost added. My grandmother used kitchen vegetable scraps in her compost and she also threw in egg shells.
Oh damn man join the club- I hate all of these recipes for fish/ bone meal, but it is tricky finding alternatives. Not sure if you've tried any of the knf stuff, but there is a recipe for water soluable calcium using egg shells using vinegar and egg shells, and its supposed to be great. My garden seemed to like it at least!

I am wondering for all those haze heads out there, do you find you need to reduce worm castings or anything like that (reducing the N in flowering) with the longer flowering strains?

@Proud Kraut fraid I don't agree with you on this one. For much the same reason you are creating a living soil rather than using bottled nutes, its down to choice. You can create a living soil to be fully vegan, its down to choice.

Last edited:
We all do what we like and what makes sensi (pun intended) to us. I will use vegetable and plant material decomposed or guano if I go organic. All soil originated from decomposed plant matter. But for me now, hydro and soilless will be chemical frets from the labs. It’s just my way and not saying anyone else needs to do the same.

Some of us doodle faces and some of us doodle similar faces…

😉👍🍀

Last edited:
We all do what we like and what makes sensi (pun intended) to us. I will use vegetable and plant material decomposed or guano if I go organic. All soil originated from decomposed plant matter. But for me now, hydro and soilless will be chemical frets from the labs. It’s just my way and not saying anyone else needs to do the same.

Some of us doodle faces and some of us doodle similar faces…

😉👍🍀

Amen brother...Boris 😜

'I hate all of these recipes for fish/ bone meal, but it is tricky finding alternatives"

If you watched the video on compost @lozac123 you would have noticed that he suggests a way of doing it with Comfrey leaves as the activator.
Even the Comfrey leaves are not essential.
The mix is already activated once you make the pile, wet it and cover it.
The dead chicken is not necessary it just speeds up the process and adds some extra nutrients.

Seaweed would be a good addition also to a compost mix.

The title of the thread says 'living soil' not vegan soil.

In a living soil things are being born and dying all the time.
Dying is part of life.

Last edited:
@lozac123 and @BrotherBoris of course no one should feel a dogma in the room to do this or that way.

Just in a whole thats a full cycle to me.

But theres also been a prominent approach to vegan nutes by Kyle Kushman with Vegamatrix.

I've never used blood meal or fish meal as single ingredients but all kinds of guanos (bat, seabird...) and organic mixtures that also include animal wasteproducts, single ingredient horn meal etc pp.

Its totally up to ones own creativity to find a personal recipe.

what catched my intrest is the idea of a friend maybe i can make a little review in here if he goes on with it.
What you do with our used pots? U right away refine the earth with supplements and let it rest for a while?
What you put in ? Compost, Bukashi or ready to use ingredients? U also use garden and or kitchen waste?

His idea was to directly put the used pots after screening out the rock/vulcanic pebbles into such a Wormcasting bag like this:

What do you think ? Guess its not that dumb. FIrst he meant there is a lot of nutrient in the earth because his plants dont show any heavy defi even in late flowering stage.
Second the complete root system holds a lot of water and nutrient and could broke up fast by the worms and revive the earth instantly.
Third point is you can directly put in your kitchen waste and its quite well mixed up by the worms and i guess its lose some sharpness compared to bokashi or homemade liquid fertilizer.

His plan is to avoid use of fertilizer by often repotting the plants to a bigger pot. Im quite intrested if this works and the kitchen waste of an vegan household are fertile enough to feed the plants in total because it fits in the prior discussion.

Back