Let's talk cannabutter for edibles

Marcus_in_the_Darkus

My girlfriend really loves the punto rojo cookies I make for her and her friends. My general methodology is to first make bubble hash, then make cannabutter from the hash, then use the cannabutter in baking recipes. I aim for ~25 mg/cookie and strive to let the energetic, soaring sativa effect shine through in the edible.

decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

Most of us have seen this classic decarboxylation [THC] vs Temperature plot for different decarb temps. I take away a couple things from this chart:

1. You need higher decarb temps than the boiling point of water.

• Max THC concentration peaks and drops off rapidly at higher temperatures (>250° F). I believe the THC converts to CBD.

• It doesn't apply directly to the real world because we decarb in batches and it is impossible, for example, to instantly cool a batch of cannabutter when we have reached max THC concentration, if we even know when/where that point is at a given temperature. Clearly an area-under-the-curve thing.

I believe the THC converts to CBD after maximum THC is achieved. I want to maximize THC concentration and minimize CBD, to get the maximum sativa zing in my cookies. Here's where I have another issue with internet decarb tech: I don't necessarily want max THC in my cannabutter, I want it in the cookies that I make from the cannabutter, after I bake them at 375 for ~10 minutes. This implies that I should only partially decarb the hash when I make cannabutter, so that the decarb process is complete and maximum THC concentration is reached in the end product after baking.

My last batch of cannabutter seemed to have a little more zing than previous attempts. I melted a couple sticks of butter, boiled off the moisture, got the temperature up to about 270, added the hash and tried to maintain the temperature around 270 for about 10 minutes, then cooled the butter as quickly as possible with an ice bath. Side note here...the smell that filled up my house was this wonderful combination of piney Colombian weed and brown butter - it was divine!

Am I on the right track here? Does anybody have any experience with getting the most out of cannabutter and baked edible treats? I have 10 grams of The Doors hash that I want to get into cookie form!

I would love to sample those cookies!

I have lots of experience cooking with weed... but not hash. I suspect that you can actually improve the taste of baked goods with hash. I have never achieved that with leaf material.

I'm really high off coconut caramels right now... I am noticing my posts meandering wildly.

A couple of things: THC degrades to CBN, not CBD IIRC.
The chart and temperatures are even more misleading, or just irrelevant if you do the classic water/oil/weed in a crock pot method because while it decarboxylates more slowly, it definitely does it faster than at room temperature, and I always go 24 hours or more. BTW, temperature transfer is much more effective in liquid than in air (gas). You probably knew that, but lots of people don't.

Good luck.

Last edited:
For you to compare, here's my recipe :

1. decarb part : I preheat the oven at 105 degrees Celsius ( between 100 & 105 ) and put the hash or herb in a pyrex ( closed ) or silicon box for 1 hour

2. clarified butter & lecithin : for every gram of hash, I prepare seperately 4 grams of butter ( yeah, 1 to 4 ratio ) and 5-10 % of the hash weight in lecithin ( not sure which lecithin is best ), bring it to 80-90 degrees to stir it with the hash right at the end of the decarb. Stir well so the lecithin is already dissolved

-- for this point , you could have replaced clarified butter by coconut or olive oil or normal butter. You simply need a greasy molecule to bond with Thc and the other terpenes. The lecithin will help for the digestion.

3. decarb done : mix butter and melted hash before it solidifies, then put it one more hour in the oven, same temp

4. take it out of the oven, let it cool, freeze at least 12 hours

5. take out of the freezer and when it's unfrozen, pre-heat the oven at 105 degrees Celsius ( between 100 & 105 ), and put everything in the oven for :

1 hour : normal effect, no/hardly CBN
until
6 hours : a lot of CBN ( sleep pill )

... chose the duration that suits your preference.

When done, put in caps 00 and then freeze for months.

Happy effects :)

PS : at normal dosage, lecithin can give bowel troubles already, so keep it low

Last edited:
Hello All!

It seems that there are many ways to make edibles and the ones posted seem to work! I was taught to keep the decarboxylation temperature UNDER the boiling point of water so as not to boil away any essential ingredients.
I grind up 56 grams of flower to make a standard 9 inch X 13 inch pan of brownies. I decarboxylate the flower at 210F for at least 1.5 hours. Next I mix the 56 grams of decarboxylated flower with 2/3 of a cup high quality pure virgin coconut oil. That is a lot
of THC in 2/3 of a cup!!! I use the lowest simmer possible for at least 3 hours. Strain the oil and make the brownies. A 1 inch X 2 inch piece is good for a 8 hour high.

The only problem that I have run into is that they taste so good that people want to eat a 4 inch X 4 inch brownie. That has never worked out good for anyone who tried that and no one has ever tried to do that a second time. Lesson learned. I don't know if
my way is the best way, worst way, or just an average way but if you like brownies it sure works. Just don't eat a 4X4 square! lol I think if I can find some lecithin it will help the THC molecues bind to the coconut oil a little easier!

Longball

Last edited:
Aloha braddahs!

And for the wheat challenged folks, my two favorites are Rice Krispies Treats and Fantasy Fudge. Marshmallow treats; one made with rice krispies and the other made with chocolate and Kraft marshmallow creme. Follow the instructions on the packages.

Shaka
Mu

My girlfriend really loves the punto rojo cookies I make for her and her friends. My general methodology is to first make bubble hash, then make cannabutter from the hash, then use the cannabutter in baking recipes. I aim for ~25 mg/cookie and strive to let the energetic, soaring sativa effect shine through in the edible.

decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

Most of us have seen this classic decarboxylation [THC] vs Temperature plot for different decarb temps. I take away a couple things from this chart:

1. You need higher decarb temps than the boiling point of water.

• Max THC concentration peaks and drops off rapidly at higher temperatures (>250° F). I believe the THC converts to CBD.

• It doesn't apply directly to the real world because we decarb in batches and it is impossible, for example, to instantly cool a batch of cannabutter when we have reached max THC concentration, if we even know when/where that point is at a given temperature. Clearly an area-under-the-curve thing.

I believe the THC converts to CBD after maximum THC is achieved. I want to maximize THC concentration and minimize CBD, to get the maximum sativa zing in my cookies. Here's where I have another issue with internet decarb tech: I don't necessarily want max THC in my cannabutter, I want it in the cookies that I make from the cannabutter, after I bake them at 375 for ~10 minutes. This implies that I should only partially decarb the hash when I make cannabutter, so that the decarb process is complete and maximum THC concentration is reached in the end product after baking.

My last batch of cannabutter seemed to have a little more zing than previous attempts. I melted a couple sticks of butter, boiled off the moisture, got the temperature up to about 270, added the hash and tried to maintain the temperature around 270 for about 10 minutes, then cooled the butter as quickly as possible with an ice bath. Side note here...the smell that filled up my house was this wonderful combination of piney Colombian weed and brown butter - it was divine!

Am I on the right track here? Does anybody have any experience with getting the most out of cannabutter and baked edible treats? I have 10 grams of The Doors hash that I want to get into cookie form!
Cool shit.
Go check beef cooking.
It's got to go X time to make it edible .

Some math geeks worked out if you put temp at y, and beef weighs z then heating time = X.
The heated mass+passive expansion is a simple equation for beef cooks
( I worked out UV tech from reef growers, so you get it where you can, hey )

My method:

Coconut oil
Trim/some nugs
Cheesecloth
Crockpot
Water
Bowl
Freezer

1.Put water in crockpot do it doesn’t burn.
2.Add coconut oil to crockpot with water. 3.Breaking up coconut oil chunks if it’s soil. I usually do this on high temp with crock pot.
4.Add the trim/bud and mix well into the crock pot.
5. Put crock pot on low.
6. Stir every 3-4 hours. Usually let it donits thing for 10-24 hours depending on how much time I have.
7. Let the mix cool down.
8. Place cheesecloth over a large bowl and while making sure the sides don’t fall down pour in the mix. Make sure not to get any plant material when straining.
9. Squeeze the cheesecloth to really make sure you get it all.
10. Put lid on bowl and place in freezer
11. Here’s where science kicks in. After about 2-4 hours the coconut oil will solidify and separate from the water in the freezer. When that happens take a knife and cut a lil drainage hole so the water can drain out easily.
12. Now you have strong budder and can make whatever you want.

quote: " whoa that's a $trong batch of brownies. "

Yeah, they are some strong brownies. And Yummy! A friend makes even stronger gummies. Last week he came by with a new batch and said " I really screwed up this batch. They are WAY too strong to give to peope! I am hoping that you will take them"!
Wait a minute. Ain't I a people too? Based on that hint I only took a quarter of a gummy. Knocked me on my arse lol Was supposed to be apple flavored. Tasted like bong water! Hmmmm, yummy! 4 highs down, 36 highs to go!

Longball

gummi-p1030488.jpg

Back