Leaf Problem With Ortega Grow

Hi,

Just an fyi that I fed my midget ortegas for the final time. Am harvesting Saturday, drying for three days, and leaving the day after.

Feed ph always around 5.5.

Exit ph always 7.1-7.4 depending on which plant.

Never budged. No change in exit ph whatsoever.

My next concern will be qualifying my used coco for my next grow - or buying new and maybe the type medium you use, professor.

Tony (o2)

Well, it has been ~3 weeks since I returned from visiting my daughters for Thanksgiving (here in the States).

Out of four plants, I got a grand total of 44 grams (just over an ounce and a half) of Ortega. So that is 11 grams per plant while my Medicine Man grows were 84 grams/plant and something like 42 grams/plant with the ensuing grow (where I had many more plants, but it was crowded).

Now, I am having the itch to do my next grow. Partly for cost purposes and after doing a bit of reading, I am gonna stick to coco (reused). I also decided to go with 3 gallon smart pots as I actually yielded more with 3 gal than 5, realizing the grow with 5 was the over-crowded one. Anyway, this way no transplanting save the one from seedling to the pot they will live the rest of their lives in!

As I mentioned in my most recent post, those poor Ortega girls were midgets. My best guess is the cause was a)a real shitty job of transplanting from 3 to 5 gal pots where I basically sheered the crap out of the root system when extracting those poor girls from the 3 gallon pots -or- b)a pH lock with coco where the pH remained at ~7.4 and would not budge -or- a and b.

So, anyway, I want to get this going and my first step is processing my coco. Do any of you have any suggestions on processing? I know enough to remove as much weed mass as I can and also to use an enzyme. What I am mostly wondering about is getting the coco to an optimum pH.

Making the latter easier, I can have the coco sitting in the pots without having plants in them yet and douse them with low pH water.

I suppose the indication that all is well would be to be at the place of giving the coco 5.8 pH water where the exit pH is also 5.8?

Oh, my next grow will be 6 ssh and 6 mango haze and so here I am for the first time attempting to grow a plant where it is suggested not for beginners, my other grows being Medicine Man and Ortega.

Tony (o2)

...while my Medicine Man grows were 84 grams/plant and something like 42 grams/plant with the ensuing grow (where I had many more plants, but it was crowded)....

...So, anyway, I want to get this going and my first step is processing my coco. Do any of you have any suggestions on processing? I know enough to remove as much weed mass as I can and also to use an enzyme. What I am mostly wondering about is getting the coco to an optimum pH...

...Oh, my next grow will be 6 ssh and 6 mango haze and so here I am for the first time attempting to grow a plant where it is suggested not for beginners, my other grows being Medicine Man and Ortega...

Those Medicine Man's can be monsters! They are so vigorous! Yum!

I no longer use straight coco but in the past I've dumped it in 55 gal cans. Added mycorrhizae. Added kelp, humic, fulvic, H20, some molasses and soil; ending up with a coco infused soil mixture that is nice and light. Sometimes I've added an organic fungicide- to treat residual or dormant pythium, fusarium, pm, etc. I let it stew for a month or so. Make sure you have enough heat. It seemed to work fine. I've done this with soil too. Don't forget to turn it. I'm sure others will chime in here with their opinions and experiences too. This process led me to the soil formulation I use today. I found better flavors as a result.

Happy you are stepping up brah! The SSH is a breeze. The Mango a little more attention needed but both as reasonably easy grows. Start breathing now and get yourself used to the longer grow times. You'll need to adjust your feeding schedule to allow for the additional nutrient and flush time. 3 gal pots will work fine but if you have the space (vertical) I would go with 5+ gal. Better yield ya know. IME, they won't eat as much as the Medicine Man so pay attention. Once you grow these beauties you'll never go back.

Good hunting brah

Mele Kalikimaka
M

Last edited:
Back