Is this the real NL5 clone?

I am very glad to see the very slim leaves on the NL#5 clone there if thats what it is.I popped 5 of my NL X Afghans and right from the start I was wondering about them because they are definitely leaningng towards the thai or columbian because they do not look indica at all by the leaf and growth structure.They are as tall as some 70% sativa crosses.I have the highest female rate out of shanti's stuff though of anyone else.So far of the 5 NL x Af. I have 3 females which is fine but I am looking for a male to get some pollen from.Of my med. mans so far I have 3 females also and no males yet.

yeah I don't mind doing that when they are more mature and there is something good to see.I do say they are very uniform in appearance and vigorous growers I am liking what I see because they are stretching some but not to much.In my opinion just enough to be able to have a very good structure when they start maturing. So far I have 3 females out of 5 started NL X AF. and 3 females out of 5 on the Rhino.

Nevil completed his work on the seed version of NL5 just before he was busted.
The NL5 mother was lost in the bust.
These seeds were sold to a member of this board who ran them for years and then lost it.

Ben Dronkers waited until Nevil was in dire straights for money (fighting legal battles) before swooping in and buying the whole business.

That did not include an NL5 mother.
Sensi then did what Shanti did: They searched for a new one in Nevil's old seeds.
If there is an original NL5 at Sensi, they didn't get it from Nevil when they bought his business.
On their web site, they do not even advertise NL5. What they sell is called (generically) Northern Lights.

READ THEIR DESCRIPTION

They even say their NL was bred themselves by selection between different NL variants.

I am not saying it doesn't exist somewhere, just that the Sensi story you have shared does not add up completely.

PS Sensi:
I just read THIS THREAD on ICmag from 2008 about hindu kush strains.

It is possibly some of the most painful reading I have ever done because of the amount of misinformation being spread by people who have devoted YEARS to trying to figure out the roots of today's indica strains.

There are however a couple of very knowledgeable guys in the thread who have real experience in the region.
They cover thin leaf vs wide leaf in there among other things.
Summary: Not related to altitude.

I almost feel bad about sharing the link with you because it made me want to gouge my eyes out several times as I read it last night.
I am not actually dumber for having read it, but I fear I will pay an as yet unrecognized price for the experience :rolleyes:

This is the legacy we have to deal with because of people making up fantastic stories to explain the origins of their strains instead of telling it straight for more than 20 years.

I really like your sense of humor!
"gouge your eyes out...you are not actually dumber..." awesome!

that is something I often feel when good discussions take a stray road into misinformation and the ball keeps rolling far, far, far from the track! And of course, I keep reading it all.
vajra

PS Sensi:
I just read THIS THREAD on ICmag from 2008 about hindu kush strains.

It is possibly some of the most painful reading I have ever done because of the amount of misinformation being spread by people who have devoted YEARS to trying to figure out the roots of today's indica strains.

There are however a couple of very knowledgeable guys in the thread who have real experience in the region.
They cover thin leaf vs wide leaf in there among other things.
Summary: Not related to altitude.

I almost feel bad about sharing the link with you because it made me want to gouge my eyes out several times as I read it last night.
I am not actually dumber for having read it, but I fear I will pay an as yet unrecognized price for the experience :rolleyes:

This is the legacy we have to deal with because of people making up fantastic stories to explain the origins of their strains instead of telling it straight for more than 20 years.

These seeds were sold to a member of this board who ran them for years and then lost it.
this is the most important part of the storie !
share your plant ;)

Thanks Vajra, let me know if you are still smiling after a you read few pages.
That thread could be a tool to drive bizness to Dr. Kevorkian :)

this is the most important part of the storie !
share your plant ;)

I am not going to out the member who bought them, but he did post about it publicly here one time.
The important part is: They are all gone (the original seeds, product of years of Nevil's work . . .) GONE.

I almost wish he had sold them with the rest of his stuff to Sensi, because then we would have a chance to still get them, but given the track record of Ben's kids maintaining the strains they DID have, we'd probably still be screwed.

It is out there though. Pretty sure Dogless had it and kept it going, several Canadian breeders tried to preserve it and apparently did a good job (Dr. Atomic, Joey Weed, BCseedCo, etc.).

The most exciting thing in this thread is the postitive feedback on MNS Ortega showing recognizable NL5 and NL1 phenos. This supports Shanti's description of the origins of TODAY'S ortega strain.

I plan to do a head to head grow of MNS Ortega vs. Dr. Atomic NL and see how they compare.
You'll have to wait for that though as it comes after:
1. ASH vs. Angel Heart
2. Critical Mass vs. G13sk vs Nordle vs. Devil
3. SSH vs. Mango Haze
4. MNS Ortega vs. Atomic NL
5. More . . . secret :)

I was pretty high and half asleep when I read it. The guys in the thread that had been there many times described them as wild sativa phenos and had a pic of it.
There are different phenos, but they couldn't even agree on dividing the country up into logical regions which shared a common pheno, something that would seem logical to most of us if the environment was a key in defining the genotype through evolution.
These are the logical assumptions that we all are making about the strains in Afghanistan.

The guys that had been there grew extremely frustrated trying to explain how no matter how logical it was, it just wasn't true.
Basically (as I remember it), the "locals" said that the differences were village to village, grower to grower. The ideas of highland and lowland varieties with physical characteristics (wide/thin leaves) that made them recognizable when grown somewhere else was BUNK.

Please don't make me go back there.
Not sure I can take a second exposure to so much depressing misinformation.
Even the expert guys were saying "Maybe we should all just kill this thread and stop discussing it. You will never get the truth you seek" (my paraphrase.)
These guys would describe how things actually ARE there, and then this guy, filled with bad ideas and misinformation, would ask the stupidest questions, revealing that he was completely programmed and incapable of just absorbing what they were saying.

I woke up this morning feeling like Captain Willard before he received his orders to go up river and find Colonel Kurtz.
You know the scene:
Saigon... shit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.
I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.
Expecting a couple of MPs to grab me and throw me in the shower, but it was just my wife and kids . . .
*Sigh*

Don't make me go back Sensi. Please don't make me go back.
Apocalypse_Now-1.jpeg

This is all been a lot to re-live . . . gonna go look at my girls and smoke something.

apocalypse_now-021246871683.gif

The horror . . . the horror.

Nevil completed his work on the seed version of NL5 just before he was busted.

Ben Dronkers waited until Nevil was in dire straights for money (fighting legal battles) before swooping in and buying the whole business.

That did not include an NL5 mother.
Sensi then did what Shanti did: They searched for a new one in Nevil's old seeds.
If there is an original NL5 at Sensi, they didn't get it from Nevil when they bought his business.
On their web site, they do not even advertise NL5. What they sell is called (generically) Northern Lights.

READ THEIR DESCRIPTION

They even say their NL was bred themselves by selection between different NL variants.

I am not saying it doesn't exist somewhere, just that the Sensi story you have shared does not add up completely.

this is not true the strain was sold to ben dronkers when nevil was arrested along with all of his stock and the house in niehmeggan i and others purchased the nl#5 pure seeds from nevs manager his name was marcel he ran the breeding facilliy

Last edited:
i have only seen NL5 outdoors and it had very thick wide indica web like leaves, heavy yield and probably the best anxiety medication ever, puts all the Blueberry strains to shame imho for anxiety/relaxation/euphoria...been trying to aquire this elite for years, they sure don't make many plants that legendary anymore and one of the few strains ever to live far above the hype it gets

also CPTN...i really love Devil its an awesome hybrid but i found tolerance builds up very fast which is the only setback i've seen from her...NLxBB would be dreamy/euphoric i bet but with Devil you get twice the beans for the same price...tough call i would go with Devil if tight on cash but NLxBB if money were not an issue...peace

Last edited:
NL hashplant from the late 80's looked identical to that photo. Finished with a golden look to the glands and lots of orange hairs. We called it the garlic, it was so dense it required a razor to break it up for a spliff.

also CPTN...i really love Devil its an awesome hybrid but i found tolerance builds up very fast which is the only setback i've seen from her...NLxBB would be dreamy/euphoric i bet but with Devil you get twice the beans for the same price...tough call i would go with Devil if tight on cash but NLxBB if money were not an issue...peace

Thanks sbd420 and sorry for the slow response.
I already have both strains, just a matter of who goes first ;-)
Interesting about the tolerance. I hope to maintain a nice variety of medicine in my jars so I can always switch up if I run into this with a strain. Been so long since I smoked regularly like this. :cool:

this is not true the strain was sold to ben dronkers when nevil was arrested along with all of his stock and the house in niehmeggan i and others purchased the nl#5 pure seeds from nevs manager his name was marcel he ran the breeding facilliy

Thanks for the correction Rimmeo. Would love to hear more stories like this some time.

What do you think the prospects are of a new release of pure (old) NL5 coming out of Australia?
Nevil has recieved so many jewels from supporters and old friends as a result of the Grail quest, I am embarrassed to admit I am hoping someone hooked him up with the pure old NL5 too :D

Nevil has recieved so many jewels from supporters and old friends as a result of the Grail quest, I am embarrassed to admit I am hoping someone hooked him up with the pure old NL5 too :D

Hey Cptn,

Good point man. As long as it is still around? I wonder what else he may have had offered to him, something maybe we all though was dead burried years ago only for him to find out it's been preserved. Kind of like the G13, what if it is still good and healthy?

Best Regards

sXi

its too legendary for not one single cutting to exist. its somewhere. in some garden, whether they are in the community is another issue... but i can only dream it still exists!

Hey Cptn,

Good point man. As long as it is still around? I wonder what else he may have had offered to him, something maybe we all though was dead burried years ago only for him to find out it's been preserved. Kind of like the G13, what if it is still good and healthy?

Best Regards

sXi

Back