Is this a magnesium deficiency?

easty

Hello wonderful people,

I hope you are well and keeping safe!

I'm hoping the brains trust may be able to assist me in working out what deficiency I have here. I'm pretty sure it's magnesium but thought I would ask anyway as it has been presenting for nearly 2 weeks now.

Details:
Organic soil - humic compost, Searls 5 in 1 organic fertilizer/compost, garden soil, gypsum, Coco coir (magnesium enriched), perlite, humic acid and half a cup of organic fertilizer.

Under LED light - Viparspectra KS3000

Also feeding with Aptus Fasilitor and Startboost. I have also given a very weak dose of Cyco grow A and B with some Dr Repair (supposed cal/mag and iron booster).

Plant is still in veg under 20 hours of light.

I've given this plant a foliar spray twice of magnesium chelate as well but no changes noticed. I also fed one with LAB serum (1:5 ratio).

I use rainwater to water and feed and the pH is never lower than 6.5.

All my other plants are dark green and pumping along. This one is still growing ok but seems to be struggling! The fact that it's the new leaves that are showing the deficiency has me concerned as it would indicate it is something I've done recently.

Thanks heaps for any help :)

img_1665696233995.jpg

easty said: " The fact that it's the new leaves that are showing the deficiency has me concerned as it would indicate it is something I've done recently."

Hello easty! :)

Which is showing the deficiency first on this particular plant - the older leaves or the newer leaves?

Longball

easty said: " The fact that it's the new leaves that are showing the deficiency has me concerned as it would indicate it is something I've done recently."

Which is showing the deficiency first on this particular plant - the older leaves or the newer leaves?

Longball
G'day mate, thanks for chiming in! It's the new leaves that are showing the deficiency first on this one! Got me puzzled!

Cheers,
Easty

A bit of a puzzler for sure! We know that magnesium is a mobile nutrient so if there is a deficiency then the older leaves will send magnesium to the newer leaves. The fact that the newer leaves are being affected first pretty much eliminates a magnesium deficiency. Pretty much. There are always a million and one variables. Seeing how the newer leaves are being affected first, I would suggest at least looking into a iron deficiency. Iron deficiency's tend to start at the newer leaves. It looks like you are getting enough magnesium by what you have written above.

PH is always a factor. Why this plant and not the rest? Did I mention the part about a million and one variables? Each plant is a bit different. Hopefully someone will chip in with the right answer. In the meantime, check for iron deficiency and don't go adding a ton of nutrients until a few of our smarter elders chip in! :)

Longball

A bit of a puzzler for sure! We know that magnesium is a mobile nutrient so if there is a deficiency then the older leaves will send magnesium to the newer leaves. The fact that the newer leaves are being affected first pretty much eliminates a magnesium deficiency. Pretty much. There are always a million and one variables. Seeing how the newer leaves are being affected first, I would suggest at least looking into a iron deficiency. Iron deficiency's tend to start at the newer leaves. It looks like you are getting enough magnesium by what you have written above.

PH is always a factor. Why this plant and not the rest? Did I mention the part about a million and one variables? Each plant is a bit different. Hopefully someone will chip in with the right answer. In the meantime, check for iron deficiency and don't go adding a ton of nutrients until a few of our smarter elders chip in! :)

Longball
Hey Longball,

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

What you have said actually makes sense with regards to a possible iron deficiency. When I look at charts and pics of early and mid stage iron deficiencies, they do look awfully similar to mine. It is very odd that it is the only one showing this deficiency and I also gave them all the Dr Repair which is iron, calcium and magnesium, very strange!

I won't do anything drastic for now and if anyone else has any ideas, happy to hear them!

Thanks again for chiming in mate, I really appreciate it!

Hope you have an excellent day!

Hello wonderful people,

I'm hoping the brains trust may be able to assist me in working out what deficiency I have here. I'm pretty sure it's magnesium but thought I would ask anyway as it has been presenting for nearly 2 weeks now.

Details:
Organic soil - humic compost, Searls 5 in 1 organic fertilizer/compost, garden soil, gypsum, Coco coir (magnesium enriched), perlite, humic acid and half a cup of organic fertilizer.

Also feeding with Aptus Fasilitor and Startboost. I have also given a very weak dose of Cyco grow A and B with some Dr Repair (supposed cal/mag and iron booster).

I've given this plant a foliar spray twice of magnesium chelate as well but no changes noticed. I also fed one with LAB serum (1:5 ratio).

All my other plants are dark green and pumping along. This one is still growing ok but seems to be struggling! The fact that it's the new leaves that are showing the deficiency has me concerned as it would indicate it is something I've done recently.

View attachment 65894

Good morning easty (y)

Next to the great help I got here at the forum I found this site very helpful with my plant issues.
But as longball said 'There are always a million and one variables.' ;)

Good morning easty (y)

Next to the great help I got here at the forum I found this site very helpful with my plant issues.
But as longball said 'There are always a million and one variables.' ;)
Morning Mr Brown, I hope you are well this morning :)

Thanks for the link hey, that's a good one to keep handy! I'm usually pretty good at picking what it is but this one has me beat. I'm going to grab a bottle of iron chelate from Bunnings tomorrow and give it a spray of that, see how it goes. It hasn't skipped a beat though, still growing pretty quickly! Just weird haha.

Oh yeah, it could always be something totally different too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

likely just hungry, try slightly increasing with a balanced feed... and/or something that increases bioavailability in your medium, enzymes amino acids etc

i dont think your PH is off, i dont think its lockout, stems nice and green... probably your mix just ran out of food too soon, the LEDs are stronger than many think...

ive talked to a very reputed grower about this, he is certain that under LEDs his plants eat more or at higher EC for the saltwranglers... i certainly find myself slightly exceeding recommended dosages of bottles since switching to LEDs... no burns.. whats trippy about this is that youll see plants with lower "appetite" stay green and lush next to "big eaters" who start cannibalising themselves

in brief id recommend increasing feeds, increasing bioavailability in medium or raising/dimming lightsource slightly.. if problems persist we need to dig deeper

likely just hungry, try slightly increasing with a balanced feed... and/or something that increases bioavailability in your medium, enzymes amino acids etc

i dont think your PH is off, i dont think its lockout, stems nice and green... probably your mix just ran out of food too soon, the LEDs are stronger than many think...

ive talked to a very reputed grower about this, he is certain that under LEDs his plants eat more or at higher EC for the saltwranglers... i certainly find myself slightly exceeding recommended dosages of bottles since switching to LEDs... no burns.. whats trippy about this is that youll see plants with lower "appetite" stay green and lush next to "big eaters" who start cannibalising themselves

in brief id recommend increasing feeds, increasing bioavailability in medium or raising/dimming lightsource slightly.. if problems persist we need to dig deeper
Hey mate, thanks for the advice! I'm planning on giving them a feed today so I'll up the dose for this one and see how she goes.

This is me on almost every grow since I started this nice hobby. Your read to feed lightly and to half your dosages and then hear from growers to FEED THE BEAST. I have one lady as happy as a hog in mud while here companions are like you mentioned here, cannibalising themselves. For me I'm reluctant to feed more for the burnt tips. I'm sure it's calcium that's burning the leaves and causing some sort of lockout, it seems like some strains are more forgiving with calcium in flower than others. Know what's in your water (is it high in calcium?) and watch for dry amendments (or additives) that have calcium included, you could be adding more than needed calcium without even knowing it. Just this one thing could block out your essential nutrients. This has been my latest discovery in the short 2 years I've been growing.

Hello wonderful people,

Details:

View attachment 65894

I've encountered this a few times with LEDs. pH EC watering all good, but plants burning through N due to high intensity - dialled led back and nursed with epsom salts or sulphur.

Do you know what the PAR was/is of that dialed back lighting?

Nope, just dialled back till all OK. I've got a cheap lux meter on order from aliexpress - should suffice for my needs converting lux to par.

Interested to see the readings from my QB at different distances.

Back