Indoor Infirmary

Spider mites! :eek: If you live in America and own your own house, I have found this to be the best solution for spider mites:
1) burn down house
2) collect insurance money for burnt down house
3) buy new house
4) no more spider mites

For prevention, I try to check EVERY leaf, and EVERY bud, on EVERY plant, EVERY day. After suggesting this a few times and getting nothing but a 'Death Stare' I no longer suggest this. I just do it. As they say, 'You do you, and I'll do me'. ;) It does work though but too time consuming for most people.

Longball

Fungus gnats
In addition to the measures already mentioned by crazyhorse, putting a layer of sand on top of the soil, about 0.5 - 1cm thick, helped me a lot in getting rid of fungus gnats. In my opinion this is the best and also cheapest measure as the gnats can no longer access the soil to lay their eggs while the larvae cannot get out anymore and eventually die off.

DjG

Spider Mites

crazyhorse73 said: "What do you do once you find them? @longball"

In my limited growing experience, 3 ID, 3 OD, I have been very fortunate to never have had a problem with anything so I am not qualified to speak of plant problems. The downside of no plant problems is that I have not learned anything about solving plant problems :( When, not if, I have a plant problem I will come here first for a solution :)

I think some of my 'luck' has been my prevention method. I truly do check EVERY leaf, and EVERY bud, on EVERY plant, EVERY day. All potential 'problems' are caught early so not really a problem. And like Shantibaba, I have been using a product called 'Lost Coast Plant Therapy'. I spay the plants early and then follow the instructions for the rest of the season.

In the only 2 times that I've seen spider mites, the first time I caught them early on a friend's plant. The plant was still vegging and about 4 ft. tall outdoors. I suggested he used a product called 'Spinosad'. He followed the instructions to a 'T' and never saw 'Spider Mites' again. "Spinosad is derived from the fermentation juices of a lowly soil bacterium called Saccharopolyspora spinosa. ... Spinosad is not particularly new, having been granted organic status by the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) in 2003." After that, he realized the effectiveness of my prevention method and never had a problem again.

The other time that I've seen 'Spider Mites' was last year when a friend gave me a clone of 'Star Dawg' that was loaded with them. The plant was about 8 inches tall so in that case I made a mixture of water/rubbing alcohol(50/50). I completely saturated the plant and then hand rubbed every single leaf, top and bottom, hoping to both squish the bastards and their eggs and to spread the mixture everywhere. I did this for 4 days, keeping the plant in the shade. I then checked the plants every day with a 60x jeweler's loupe. After a few days I saw a couple eggs and saturated the plant a couple more times with water/alcohol, and hand rubbed each leaf. Never saw a 'Spider Mite' or egg again so after a few weeks I introduced the plant to the rest of my plants and mated it with a male G13xAfghan Skunk. Got plenty of seeds :)

That is the extent of my 'Spider Mite' experience. These were outdoor plants. Indoors, the house must be burned down(see post #2). As Shantibaba has mentioned, prevention is one of the keys to success in growing. I could not agree more. Can you spell 'prevention', and, use it in a sentence of 25 words of less? ;)

Hope this helps someone!

Longball

Last edited:
I try to avoid it by working with my own material exclusively and keeping things in both tents as clean as can be. The few times i worked with someone else his clones i treated them more than once. Just in case.
I also never bring anything from outside to the grow room. No plants, no pots, no bags of soil, no tools, no shoes. Nothing.
I learnt my lessons.

My solution to mites and other infestation is simple.
Panda plastic completely in room
Floor and walls
Clean with diluted bleach or pinesol between grows
Problem solved
Also try to never bring outdoor plants back inside because herein lyes the problem.
Don’t introduce pests into the grow room
✌️

Best way to avoid mites.
DO NOT grow clones from someone else....DO NOT grow clones you bought from some dispensary.
I have never seen a clone from *somewhere else* that is not covered in mites.

I once got a clone from a buddy....and he had zero mite problems, I know this because I helped him all thru the grow.
2-3 days after putting it into my grow BAM! massive infection.
Never again.

Yep. Absolutely no outside clones or friends in the grow room- biggest vector. Bleach is your friend. Cleanliness- don't keep anything in the room that is not needed. Sterilize your tools not just for pests but for viruses like HLV. Practice IPM and prophylaxis.

🤙mu

My solution to mites and other infestation is simple.
Panda plastic completely in room
Floor and walls
Clean with diluted bleach or pinesol between grows
Problem solved
Also try to never bring outdoor plants back inside because herein lyes the problem.
Don’t introduce pests into the grow room
jup last run was balkony- tent- balkony- tent and i got pest but now only tent and no pest and the last years there i did balkony only runs i got pest every fucking time i cant remember to have non

Last edited:
Dip , drench & quarantine... as with most things , you get what you put into things. Shit happens but you can minimize the shit by simply following a procedure and not getting off track. Don't force shit or you'll most likely get some shit on your shoes and track it all over.

Dip , drench & quarantine... as with most things , you get what you put into things. Shit happens but you can minimize the shit by simply following a procedure and not getting off track. Don't force shit or you'll most likely get some shit on your shoes and track it all over.
I should say....
Dip, drench , isolate, dip , drench , quarantine monitor and repete...

Hi All

we have been using a good product that is organic and works well if used as preventative spray or soak on a regular regime. It is called Therapy and available in most countries.

good luck with it....all the best Sb

Back