How to Buffer Bad Coco Coir

I used coco for years with great success. A lot of others have too. Make sure your nutrient solution has a pH of 5.6-5.8 when feeding. Try it at this pH range and see how to goes. You can always adjust it as you go along. Plants grown in coco will let you know pretty quickly if there is something wrong. If your plants look good then leave them alone.
Super - and thanks!

The seedlings died! So, I did up the buffering solution.
I understand that they died.

How big did they get before they died? Did they wilt? Did they make it to having true leaves? Were there spots on the leaves? Did they wilt with a whithered stem? Did you have a fan on? How close were the lights to the plants?

In my opinion, we don't know that coco is the issue yet.

I started using coco after my first grow with soil. It was a failure and I read that coco is easier.

Thanks for your suggestion and I may make the switch, but I'd still like to continue with this grow rather than terminate it.
strange because soil is the most easy to grow is less technical than coco ou aeroponic ect

Reactions: o2b
Just add cocos
Define the water conditions
Get a routine going on adjusted for small plants (low EC) and adjust later to bigger plants (higher EC and more water).
Better to give them a little less then a little more. Ph goes up all the time as they consume fertilizer. When they’re really thirsty you can lower the ph a little more (5,9 - 6), it rises again soon they start consuming their fertilizer.
But adjust ph only in the water, do not try to get your cocos to change ph. Just use it to transport your A and B solution to the plant’
Let the plant adjust to a proper routine and leave it at peace, just make sure it gets enough water with proper drainage.
Keep it simple. Less is more.

Also: ph is never static, plants consume and liquid evaporates. Changing conditions by random events, which are alright as long you keep it steady on a routine in the water.

Last edited:
I understand that they died.

How big did they get before they died? Did they wilt? Did they make it to having true leaves? Were there spots on the leaves? Did they wilt with a whithered stem? Did you have a fan on? How close were the lights to the plants?

In my opinion, we don't know that coco is the issue yet.
They just could not thrive and eventually shriveled up. Perhaps you are right, but I did the buffering procedure and now things are looking good.

Thanks!

Just add cocos
Define the water conditions
Get a routine going on adjusted for small plants (low EC) and adjust later to bigger plants (higher EC and more water).
Better to give them a little less then a little more. Ph goes up all the time as they consume fertilizer. When they’re really thirsty you can lower the ph a little more (5,9 - 6), it rises again soon they start consuming their fertilizer.
But adjust ph only in the water, do not try to get your cocos to change ph. Just use it to transport your A and B solution to the plant’
Let the plant adjust to a proper routine and leave it at peace, just make sure it gets enough water with proper drainage.
Keep it simple. Less is more.

Also: ph is never static, plants consume and liquid evaporates. Changing conditions by random events, which are alright as long you keep it steady on a routine in the water.
Thank you. I am going with yoyr and Dawn's advice, save because I am using the Nectars for the Gods line, I am targetting 6.0-6.1 instead of 5.6-5.8.

I did up a slurry yesterday before an addition and they came out at 7.1.

I think things are going to be fine.

I would like to understand the chemistry behind slurry ph result (which is to be performed when the soil is fairly dry down to two inches, meaning at consistent conditions, so it seems the ph of the coco is slowly dropping.

Thank you. I am going with yoyr and Dawn's advice, save because I am using the Nectars for the Gods line, I am targetting 6.0-6.1 instead of 5.6-5.8.

I did up a slurry yesterday before an addition and they came out at 7.1.

I think things are going to be fine.

I would like to understand the chemistry behind slurry ph result (which is to be performed when the soil is fairly dry down to two inches, meaning at consistent conditions, so it seems the ph of the coco is slowly dropping.
I have never done a slurry . I have tested runoff .
Letting coco dry too much causes pH swings and should be avoided . So letting the top dry out before the slurry seems counter intuitive imo.

I haven't done a slurry and at one point I tried to chase runoff numbers but in the end, it seemed to be meaningless. The runoff will ALWAYS be insanely large numbers in my experience. The best growers I know don't put much time or effort into maintaining runoff numbers.

letting the coco lose moisture works WAY better for me than keeping things saturated. Not DRY but moist is desirable part of the time. This will also help keep fungus gnat numbers down. As has been stated before pH is always changing and in my opinion, it's a good thing to have the pH cycle from low to high.

Back