How many seeds to start with?

OlympusMons

In time I mean to come into some MNS Mango Haze and SuperSilverHaze. My grow will accomodate as many as 4 plants in a 5 bucket (4+control) recirculating DWC in a 4'x4'x6 enclosure. If I have 10 seeds to work with for MH, or perhaps any strain, how many should you plant in hopes of ending up with, say, 1 or two viable plants? I think I'd enjoy getting a MH going and SCROG it, if it will do well with SCROG. But will that one plant dominate the whole area? I'm thinking too about selecting among phenos. Hmmm....

To put that ramble together a bit better, my questions are these:

1. Can you usefully and reliably SCROG a Mango Haze?
2. If you can, wouldn't that consume an enclosure of the size of my entire grow area?
3. If I want to end up with just one plant, how many seeds does it seem reasonable to start with?
4. Could I start the very similar SuperSilverHaze in the hopes of ending up with one of each and scrog half the area to each?

Part of the point is that I wouldn't want to plant more seeds than I have to, holding some seed back for a future grow. The seeds look good but they come dear. :)

Mango haze should work great in a scrog setup. They can become giants really fast. I let a mango haze inbred seed plant veg too long indoors without a scrog and it quickly overwhelmed the 400w.

Can you run a couple seeds first and then take clones from your select females to run in the scrog? It would probably be more manageable to run from clones in a small room setup. Some say that SSH is more indoor friendly.

Good luck OlympusMons

I did my first scrog in a 4' x 4' room and I was very please with the results. Four plants was just about perfect, so I'd start 8-10 seeds to try and get 4 females. Personally though I'd prefer to scrog with clones, but that's a longer timeline.

I tried to have the mesh 80% filled before flipping to flower. And my grow was organic soil.

Check my sig below for my scrog grow.

How many beans do you have? I found Mango haze to be one of the most consistent crosses ever :) They do vary in many traits, but the flavor is mostly nailed down IMO and E of 6 females. The line seems to throw maybe 2/3 females from reports and my own experience. Personally I'd pop at least 6 if you got the usual generous Shanti pack :) I've always got more than advertised. (however, don't cry if you JUST get 15 ;))

a scrog plant can take up a whole area or you can do it modular. Most of the Mhz i've seen stretch enough to make a scrog a great idea, but there are shorter phenos in there.

The more you can pop, the better your selection and the more likely you are to find the "perfect" girl. ;)

How many beans do you have? I found Mango haze to be one of the most consistent crosses ever :) They do vary in many traits, but the flavor is mostly nailed down IMO and E of 6 females. The line seems to throw maybe 2/3 females from reports and my own experience. Personally I'd pop at least 6 if you got the usual generous Shanti pack :) I've always got more than advertised. (however, don't cry if you JUST get 15 ;))

a scrog plant can take up a whole area or you can do it modular. Most of the Mhz i've seen stretch enough to make a scrog a great idea, but there are shorter phenos in there.

The more you can pop, the better your selection and the more likely you are to find the "perfect" girl. ;)

Well, let's say my pack of MH (and SSH) has precisely 10. This would be my first canna-hydro grow, though I did a successful run of basil through this system first, so I know the equipment can produce results and that I can titrate and measure my amounts properly. Still, I wonder if MH or even SSH is a poor choice for a first grow.

Last edited:
Hey OlympusMons! Glad to hear someone else is growing out the Mango Haze like I am this year.

Ok, first off...you shouldn't get only 10 seeds in a pack. Shantibaba always puts at least 15 in there if not more...at least he used to. I think I got a pack once that had 18 seeds!

1. Can you usefully and reliably SCROG a Mango Haze? I believe so, but I've never grown MH indoors...I've only grown them outside.

2. If you can, wouldn't that consume an enclosure of the size of my entire grow area? The MH I've grown out has always ended up BIG...as in very large plants with LONG arms. Top them early and often in veg if you want to end up with a bushier plant...or you could take clones like someone else already suggested. The good thing about using the clones is that they should finish quicker than seed plants.

3. If I want to end up with just one plant, how many seeds does it seem reasonable to start with? I always figure I got a roughly 50/50 shot of finding a female in non-feminized seed...if I were you, I'd start 3-5 seeds of each variety.

4. Could I start the very similar SuperSilverHaze in the hopes of ending up with one of each and scrog half the area to each? Yes, but SSH can vary quite a bit plant to plant. I'd start 5 of those too and pick out the best females to run.

As far as difficulty, the only thing I'd watch out for is mold on the SSH. The buds get pretty large and airflow is going to be key for you come flower time. I thought both the SSH and the MH were easy plants to grow. Just use the KISS method and you should be fine.

HB.

Last edited:
3. If I want to end up with just one plant, how many seeds does it seem reasonable to start with? I always figure I got a roughly 50/50 shot of finding a female in non-feminized seed...if I were you, I'd start 3-5 seeds of each variety.
Here are probabilities for at least getting 1 female (or male) per how many seeds you start. I usually start 3 or 4 if I'm concerned about numbers.

1 : 50%
2 : 75%
3 : 87.5%
4 : 93.75%
5 : 96.875%
6 : 98.43%

Back