how do you guys feel about this strategy

noworries

I am in the process of running several different strains trying to find the keepers. As I'm sure all of you know it can be a royal pain vegging them till they show sex, or cloning them all, then flowering, keeping the clones good until you see which are the keepers etc.

My question is what about growing them about 3 weeks from seed, sticking them in the flower room, let them flower for 2-3 months and see what ya get, then take the top buds or whatever from your favorite plant and re veg it? <---edited

I have never reveg'd a plant and I dont know if its risky or not, which is why I'm asking.

That sure would beat cloning 16 plants, then vegging those 16 for the 2-3 month flowering period...on 3 strains.

Last edited:
Seedlings To Immature For Reveg

You Cannot Reveg A Seedling Like You Describe
Go To My Outdoor Early Haze Thread And Find My Reveg Contributions
ATB
JKP

Attachments

• Exotica Reveg- Day One- Aug 12- Make Great Snacks.jpg
    Exotica Reveg- Day One- Aug 12- Make Great Snacks.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 3
...My question is what about growing them about 3 weeks from seed, sticking them in the flower room, see what ya get, then take the top buds or whatever from your favorite plant and re veg it?...

Why don't you just grow them for 3 or 4 weeks, stick em 12/12, as soon as they show sex (about a week or so later) then stick em back in 18/6?

Why don't you just grow them for 3 or 4 weeks, stick em 12/12, as soon as they show sex (about a week or so later) then stick em back in 18/6?

Because I am picking the best female out of the group.

My normal routine is just a lot of trouble, I was trying to find a better way.

Normally I grow until sex is shown, clone the females. Put females to flower, veg all those clones, then 2-3 months later when i see which was the best trash all the clones I've been vegging and keep the desired plant. Thats a lot of wasted energy.

I've never revegged, but what I've heard it takes ages.

If you're looking for a short cut way of finding a bunch of keepers then I don't know of any. Sorry.

GM1

Mabey im missing something , but why dont you take cuts off of lower branches and put them directly into 10/14 lighting till they show sex , they dont evan have to root.

Ganja man has a good

idea.

You forgot to say whatcha meant by keepers. Keepers for what? Clone doner moms? Or just trying to determine sex?

If you are looking for 'the very best' clone mother doner, I am not sure you can find your 'keeper' till you let it grow it's normal time, & that would seem to require you doing it out doors till all the ladies finish normally.That's the only way that I know of to know for sure that the one you picked is the 'very best' one.

Or run the babies longer ID than you have in mind, or till you just let em go as you proposed till ya see one you like. If they don't go their whole life cycle, I am not sure you can find the 'very best' one indoors. Seems like indoors you just have to guess unless you run them till they finish. Not sure if the length of the ID veg cycle matters if they all have the same time under the lights.

If you are trying just to find the sex, then do as ganja man says,

"Why don't you just grow them for 3 or 4 weeks, stick em 12/12, as soon as they show sex (about a week or so later) then stick em back in 18/6?"

Be careful not to make a molehill into a mountain. Sounds like you have it going on, so mayhaps you don't wanna get over complicated. :)

Thanks. And good luck

mM

You Cannot Reveg A Seedling Like You Describe
JKP

That's the only way I have ever revegged, seed or clone. My old mentor was notorious for letting clones die of thirst and we had to reveg. Harvest, leave bottom growth, put under 24 hours of light. It takes 2-5 weeks with a 90-95% success rate. Some say you may get genetic drift/mutations but I have never seen it. Better to take clones, but it can be done.

That's the only way I have ever revegged, seed or clone. My old mentor was notorious for letting clones die of thirst and we had to reveg. Harvest, leave bottom growth, put under 24 hours of light. It takes 2-5 weeks with a 90-95% success rate. Some say you may get genetic drift/mutations but I have never seen it. Better to take clones, but it can be done.
Yeah all of that^^

Noworries,
In my experience if you take the plants to the end of their life cycle they're probably not going to re-veg. so I would recommend chopping them a little bit early to get in a better chance.

But the problem is re-veging is not guaranteed which means you could go through all of this and not be able to get a clones from your best mother. If you harvest early to increase the likelihood of re-veging then you'd have a crappy harvest too.

Lammy

Last edited:
I am in the process of running several different strains trying to find the keepers. As I'm sure all of you know it can be a royal pain vegging them till they show sex, or cloning them all, then flowering, keeping the clones good until you see which are the keepers etc.

My question is what about growing them about 3 weeks from seed, sticking them in the flower room, let them flower for 2-3 months and see what ya get, then take the top buds or whatever from your favorite plant and re veg it? <---edited

I have never reveg'd a plant and I dont know if its risky or not, which is why I'm asking.

That sure would beat cloning 16 plants, then vegging those 16 for the 2-3 month flowering period...on 3 strains.

why go through all the drama?

When evaluating seedlings, take cuts from all confirmed females -within 5 weeks usually I know if it's something worth even thinking about keeping. Pitch the punks, if something special jumps out, put it into veg .... easy peasy.

I've never revegged, but what I've heard it takes ages.

If you're looking for a short cut way of finding a bunch of keepers then I don't know of any. Sorry.

GM1

Nah, not looking for a shortcut. Just a more effective way if there is one. I mean, without doing some reading and looking at peoples methods I'd never have done much other than grow in dirt I dug up from the backyard and watered every day. I'm no botanist, yet.

Just trying to see how some people do mother runs.

Right now I have 6 different black widow females flowering, 6 different black widow mothers getting bigger and bigger, waiting to see which one was the keeper out of the pack when they finish. Obviously potency/smell/yield/flower time all go into selecting the "best" mother. I have a fairly even split of SHARP nose burning smell I cant explain, and the other half have an odd plant smell. So I wait until everything is cut and dried to make my call on what to keep. Thats 9-12 weeks of veg time on 6 vigorous plants, I'll have a lot of crap in my way. Not the worst problem in the world to have, just looking for some ideas.

Anyhow, probably end up continuing what i'm doing. I'd get sick to my stomach if I went to reveg a keeper and it died or started herming or something =\.

Last edited:
Shanti posted this in another thread.
Hi All

Well choosing mothers is not as easy as saying that grows nicely lets keep it...more like a process of elimination once you are sure it is not a keeper.

What I do is work in numbers as selection from a few seeds is not really selection more take what is on offer...

With a typical F1 seed we flower and look for a cloner that has the good parts of both parents. Knowing the parents helps of course. So say you do a sample of 25 seeds and get 14 females and 11 males.

Without doing selection for males say we kill them all.

Now we cut a clone from the lower branches of each labelled female plant say A1....A14, root the clone and pot up to small pots and keep under fluoro, usually 2 or three of the same A1, A2...A14.

Flower out the mature base A1, A2....A14 and still keep the clone of each of them on 18hr...once the plants are flowered it is more easier to choose from the effect of the A1...A14 but keep in mind the other traits you feel are important to you like yield, bag appeal , stone, high....etc....

Once you narrowed down things to the best 3 females get rid of all other mothers and flower a square meter of each of the selected finalist. I do this twice at least since it takes 3 crops on a plant to understand how to grow it properly so keep the best three until you decided foresure....then give a clone to a mate to see how he does with them.

Usually if you have 3 bags of nice buds of 3 different sisters the bag you tend to gravitate to and the one finished first is the selection...all the best sb

Of course, he has the room to do that. You could do something similar breaking it down into batches, do it with X amount, determine your keeper(s), do the next batch, see if anything better shows, and so on.

Certain strains reveg better than others. Clones are the safer way to go.

Back