HLG650R WARNING, safety notice

MImedpatient

HEY! I got some of the fancy new quantum board leds. the HLG 650r. I have the lower price led spectrum sunglasses. I got a light induced Migraine last night. I HAVE NEVER HAD A MIGRAINE. I have never had a headache. only head pain from smacking it on things.
wear a hat, and get some higher quality glasses than the base pair. that was fucking horrible, and I do not want anyone else to experience this if they can avoid it. I didn't now where to post this so I figured the patient forum would be the place as this is technically a health concern.

Thats not really the led's fault, they normally have a warning not to look directly into them anyway. This issue you had would apply to the majority of led lighting if not most lighting. Something that helps is, if you have two pairs of shades use them together, but really you shouldn't look directly into them. Also another tip, dim them when your working around them.

Thats not really the led's fault, they normally have a warning not to look directly into them anyway. This issue you had would apply to the majority of led lighting if not most lighting. Something that helps is, if you have two pairs of shades use them together, but really you shouldn't look directly into them. Also another tip, dim them when your working around them.
It may not be the manufacturers fault. but this doesn't happen underneath my 450w spider farmers, which are supposedly knockoffs of the hlg boards. and it doesn't happen around 1k HPS or MH, both air cooled and open fixture. even dimmed down by 50% the hlg 650r spectrum is fucking brutal on my eyes. I cant double lens like that. When I had the clip onshades for my glasses, my eyes couldn't find a focal point because the space between lenses was just enough to frustrate me into not using them. I am waiting for this covid stuff to blow over as I can't risk infecting my dad, but I am going to go to the ophthalmologist(eye surgeon, been taking care of my family since before I was born)and get a new prescription for sunglasses, and I am gonna send a copy to one of the Grow Light Sunglasses companies.
In a lecture; DR Bruce Bugbee said that part of the eye strain we as growers experience is caused by going from darker to brighter areas. aka going from grow room, to basement/hallway to grow room.
look at the spectrum graph of hps, and mh. there is a huge band of green and yellow missing on most brands bulbs. my rods and cones are not used to receiving that spectrum of light unless I am outside.
I am not looking at the light. I cant help that my while I am in my grow room looking at my plants, with my lights pulled up to 10 feet(my basement was dug too deep), with my lights mounted at higher than the manufacturer recommend(I don't have co2, the math works for this distance to get me to the proper ppfd)
I love these lights, dont get me wrong. but if a piece of equipment, can cause a person who has never had a headache a migraine, then that is health and safety information that someone like my younger brother who gets a migraine a month NEEDS to know.

It may not be the manufacturers fault. but this doesn't happen underneath my 450w spider farmers, which are supposedly knockoffs of the hlg boards. and it doesn't happen around 1k HPS or MH, both air cooled and open fixture. even dimmed down by 50% the hlg 650r spectrum is fucking brutal on my eyes. I cant double lens like that. When I had the clip onshades for my glasses, my eyes couldn't find a focal point because the space between lenses was just enough to frustrate me into not using them. I am waiting for this covid stuff to blow over as I can't risk infecting my dad, but I am going to go to the ophthalmologist(eye surgeon, been taking care of my family since before I was born)and get a new prescription for sunglasses, and I am gonna send a copy to one of the Grow Light Sunglasses companies.
In a lecture; DR Bruce Bugbee said that part of the eye strain we as growers experience is caused by going from darker to brighter areas. aka going from grow room, to basement/hallway to grow room.
look at the spectrum graph of hps, and mh. there is a huge band of green and yellow missing on most brands bulbs. my rods and cones are not used to receiving that spectrum of light unless I am outside.
I am not looking at the light. I cant help that my while I am in my grow room looking at my plants, with my lights pulled up to 10 feet(my basement was dug too deep), with my lights mounted at higher than the manufacturer recommend(I don't have co2, the math works for this distance to get me to the proper ppfd)
I love these lights, dont get me wrong. but if a piece of equipment, can cause a person who has never had a headache a migraine, then that is health and safety information that someone like my younger brother who gets a migraine a month NEEDS to know.

Interesting, your right tho. If its causing you issues like you describe it definitely needs investigating more. I remember when I used to grow and how after years the hid lights back then began to effect my eyes. I used to have brilliant vision, now one of the long term effects are things like at night I cant even get my key into the lock in my front door, I just cant see it. Hope you can work out whats going on, in the meantime please try your best to be safe. People do need to be aware of these risks and the long term damage that can be done if things arnt done safely.

I’ve got the same lights albeit smaller watt lights and the cheaper Chinese amazon ones.. stupidly looked into when I first plugged one in. Had the light photographed in my vision for the next five minutes maybe longer. Falling from side to side. Worse when I’d close my eyes, watching it gave me an inner ear seasick type thing..

Interesting, your right tho. If its causing you issues like you describe it definitely needs investigating more. I remember when I used to grow and how after years the hid lights back then began to effect my eyes. I used to have brilliant vision, now one of the long term effects are things like at night I cant even get my key into the lock in my front door, I just cant see it. Hope you can work out whats going on, in the meantime please try your best to be safe. People do need to be aware of these risks and the long term damage that can be done if things arnt done safely.
HLG is releasing a set of spectrum specific sunglasses! I havent checked any farther than asking when itys released, about a month is what i was told.
I’ve got the same lights albeit smaller watt lights and the cheaper Chinese amazon ones.. stupidly looked into when I first plugged one in. Had the light photographed in my vision for the next five minutes maybe longer. Falling from side to side. Worse when I’d close my eyes, watching it gave me an inner ear seasick type thing..
that sucks. That is a horrible physical response to the light.I am sorry that happened to you.

Since I got a wide brim boonie, its helped alot, but I dont spend as much time with the ladies lately as I used to. work gets done and I am gone.

be careful. you only get 1 pair of eyes.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-21-at-3.18.40-PM.png
I saw that, and I was like "wow, if yall think this man is smart, who do you think is dumb?"

I feel this. Worked full time under hps/mh for a few years, and more recently LED QB's.

Two pairs of glasses now, reading & driving and find dusk & dawn to be the most difficult time of day to see clearly.

Put your sunnies on guys!

* I could just be an old fuck though.

Isn't the problem more because people wear cheap sunglasses the pupils dilate under the dark sunglasses but offers no protection and so the harmful rays can get into the eye

There is a company calked Method7 that sells quality glasses for LED (pink or fullspec) and alsso HPS growers. Been wanting to get a base model since forever and a day...

Method Seven's glasses are amazing. I was had migraines under sunlight and LEDs of any sort for a few months and these made it possible to go into my tents/outside until the underlying cause resolved itself.

I tossed the cheap sunglasses and use these religiously now.

Method Seven's glasses are amazing. I was had migraines under sunlight and LEDs of any sort for a few months and these made it possible to go into my tents/outside until the underlying cause resolved itself.

I tossed the cheap sunglasses and use these religiously now.
Yes a proper pair of sun glasses is necessary but I'm my experience a baseball hat is also necessary I would say even more than the glasses.
Hat gives you very good protection from the light hitting directly in to your eyes.

Yes a proper pair of sun glasses is necessary but I'm my experience a baseball hat is also necessary I would say even more than the glasses.
Hat gives you very good protection from the light hitting directly in to your eyes.

100% agree. A baseball cap or hat with a brim will catch most of the light that gets around the glasses.
It's also nice if you're tired of plants snagging an occasional hair.

Back