Hello Hello

More Soil

Hello, dear MNS community,

I am very pleased to finally be able to officially participate in this forum.

Have been a reader of the informative articles for a long time and would now like to engage in an exchange in order to learn from each other.

The first time I dealt with our favorite plant was about 30 years ago and most of my experiences were outdoors. It has always been clear to me that no technology can replace sunlight.

Unfortunately, due to the long flowering times, this only works to a limited extent with my favorite strains such as Kali Mist, SSH, NH etc.

Although we are slowly having similar conditions to Bordeaux in our region (southern Germany), I have moved more and more indoors.

My first read was by Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal called “Encyclopedia of Marijuana Growing.” I “borrowed” (never found it´s way back) the book from my brother and started my gardening journey from there.

I have always been a lover of so-called sativa genetics and am really looking forward to my first rounds of MNS indoors. In particular Mango Haze, Holy Grail and Neville's Haze are at the top of my list.

I prefer to work with Living Soil and add compost teas. I combat potential pests preventatively with beneficial insects. However, I don't have any other experiences such as Hydro.

I'm really looking forward to exchanging ideas with you!

Greets

More Soil

Hey Swifty,
thank you.
I've already looked at your current NHM project and I'm impressed with your way of finding a keeper.
What difference does it make to grow a mother plant from a clone or a seedling? I´ve been told to start your mothers from seed...
Greets ✌️
Thanks More Soil, I find it the most efficient way to go through packs of seeds without losing much space and resources.
I've done this for more than 10 years outside, first time indoors but it seems to work just as well.

I can't find any reason to prefer a mother plant from seed, never heard that any breeder does this also?
No expert here but a clone is the same plant, only difference that I can think of is the lack of a main taproot?
My mothers are refreshed each year, new moms see some ☀️(behind a window so to not introduce pests).

Greetings!

Hello svap,

thank you. ✌️

To manage pest control effectively, I usually start by introducing nematodes (Steinernema feltiae) at the beginning of the growth cycle, and I repeat this treatment after three weeks. This practice significantly reduces the risk of infestations by fungus gnats and thrips, helping to prevent large populations from developing.

I also use yellow sticky traps to monitor the pest population. As the plants mature, I introduce Lacewing larvae and two types of predatory mites (Phytoseiulus persimilis/Amblyseius californicus) to target a range of pests including spider mites (Tetranychus urticae/P. ulmi-red spider), aphids, thrips, caterpillars and mealybugs.

Depending on the duration of the plant's growth or blooming phase, I may introduce additional predatory mites and Lacewing larvae to ensure continued protection.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
More Soil

Back