Grafting cannabis

interesting stuff. I'm quite disappointed that the rootstock's vigour wasn't transferred to the newly grafted branches. Still, with fruit tree grafting it takes years of experimentation before a compatible rootstock and scion pair are found. Just because a fruit tree is vigorous it doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good stock.

I did submit a new post a while back which floated the idea of a packet of rootstock seeds which could be planted and used as rootstock (once grown) to graft other varieties of weed onto but it got no takers so I left it!

Good luck with the grafting.

GS

PS I wonder what the Cheese/Haze (Chaze?) was like...

Thanks for posting that, Midnightgardener;)...very interesting work you're doing there:cool:...keep it up...and welcome to MNS...jay:)

interesting stuff. I'm quite disappointed that the rootstock's vigour wasn't transferred to the newly grafted branches. Still, with fruit tree grafting it takes years of experimentation before a compatible rootstock and scion pair are found. Just because a fruit tree is vigorous it doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good stock.

I did submit a new post a while back which floated the idea of a packet of rootstock seeds which could be planted and used as rootstock (once grown) to graft other varieties of weed onto but it got no takers so I left it!

Good luck with the grafting.

GS

PS I wonder what the Cheese/Haze (Chaze?) was like...

vigour was transferred, but not the bud size of congo....
a root base is important for pumping water up and down..some base's do it fast other slow... congo has fast uptake, more water going up means more salts getting absorbed..
the genes that are grafted onto the congo stay the same expect they display more vigour in growth and flower.
keeping mothers by using grafting saves alot of space..

thanks for watching and dont be afraid to ask questions...

that's excellent. I'm gonna give it a go!

I could have ALL my Mango Haze phenos grafted onto the same rootstock (the most vigorous Mango) likewise with the Critical Hazes - both phenos on 1 root...

I've not tried that Congo Haze but something tells me I will one day... my best friend is going to Dampkring to buy me some seeds next week, as it happens (xmas pressie.)

The advice your giving is to look for the most water-hungry pheno as the stock?

I've grafted olives and citrus trees (grafting is a staple part of Cypriot life...) but I've never tried with Cannabis before. I've heard that some experiments were done using hops as a rootstock for weed, too.

thanks for the reply, MG

(How has your American buddy not heard of Ray's Choice?)

Last edited:
Hi Midnightgardener thx for very interesting video.
I only saw grafting hop to cannabis.
Maybe it will be good to try grafting indica plants (his root system growing slowly) to sativa base plant (fast and bigger root system), thought.
How long it takes than grafted branch starts to grow?
Thx and welcome here Midnightgardener.

Very cool vid, Mg :D A member here did a lil thread a while back, and I hope you don't mind if I throw it in here. If it's a prollem, lemmie know, and I'll take it down. The technique is a lil different, but lotsa members (like me :)) use a proxy, and they are not necessarily youtube friendly (gotta copy the link, log out, exit browser, restart browser, turn off proxy, reset connection, THEN paste and watch video --> THEN do it again backwards to log back in...).

http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112750
Kodiak
Grafting cannabis is not a new thing, people experimented with grafting cannabis plants onto hops in the 70´s. This is however something that I stumbled upon while training my plants.

This picture is of a Super Silver Haze plant from my last grow. It was a bonsai mom that I trained for a long time, which included tying branches together at an early stage. One of the branches that I tied to another grafted with it's new host. The graft was more apparent from the other side but there was no way for me to get the camera into that jungle of branches.
Kodiak_grafting.jpg

Grafting is mostly a novelty of the plant world but the possibilities of grafting are endless, only limited by imagination. I suppose that there are three reasons for grafting; one is to fuse a scion with a host creating a multi-strain chimera in the process, the second is to graft a smaller plant onto a larger root system and the the third is to shape the plant itself.

I have been thinking about making a mother plant that holds many strains by grafting different strains together ever since I stumbled upon the works of an arborcraftsman named Axel Erlandson. Look it up, the things that he did is amazing..

People do this with apple trees and such and they said that the grafted plant produce fruit from all the species that were fused together and sometimes even new hybrids emerged spontaneously on new branches that grew after the grafting was done.

Grafting is usually done by making a transverse cut on both the host and the cutting that is to be grafted, then they stick the cutting into the cut branch and tie it all together. After that they keep ithe "wet graft" moist for several months until the "wound" closes up. Gardeners also graft saplings onto older and thereby greater root systems of different plants, usually improving greatly on vigor. This can be done with any plant as long as they are of the same family. People have even grafted tomato plants onto potato roots, creating a chimera that grows tomatoes above ground and potatoes underneath. Grafting rarely succeeds because it's such a long shot but if cannabis strains can be grafted just by tying branches together, this would be an easy and in effect low-stress way on doing it, which should have a greater chance of success.

Now I am at the point where I could give some more serious grafting a shot as I have a lot of clones to work with. As soon as I find the time I will look into this.

Last edited:
incredible

welcome MG

this looks like a great idea for many reasons (the grafting)...glad to have another avid grower

Hi There Midnightgardener

I Was Amazed At The Sight Of The Grafted Plant And Thought Of The Conveniance Where Saving Of Space Is Required.
Nice To See You Here On The MNS Boards;)
Joe:)

Hi Midnightgardener thx for very interesting video.
I only saw grafting hop to cannabis.
Maybe it will be good to try grafting indica plants (his root system growing slowly) to sativa base plant (fast and bigger root system), thought.
How long it takes than grafted branch starts to grow?
Thx and welcome here Midnightgardener.

about 5 days to fuse together..

thanx midnightgardner,

I have always wondered if this was a viable solution to plant counts in states like mine where multiple strains seem almost impossible to stay legal.

2b2s

How to graft hemp by someone not me:

Wire not recommended. Don't make frankenstein-looking plants.

There are many many ways. The main point is exposing the cambrium layer on both. Cut angle should be as compatible as possible.

Some use clips, but tape is better. Be careful of parafilm and heat. It semi melts. There's a thing called buddy tape.

You have to sterilize tools. 90% ipa in 10% water is preferred over torch. You can split and sandwich or just do angled cut on both.

Success rate for 'soft' bark plants is somewhat lower. Match humidity to ideal humidity for seedling/clones, in other words, very very high humidity.

No experience with cloning solutions for anything other than germ or cloning (legal no-THC hemp). A paper or plastic bag over the graft with a loose tie is a way to keep humidity high locally. Spray and cover. No nutes! Don't nute your seedlings, clones or grafts. Wait for healing.

Your rootstock should be your 'vigorous' robust plant. It will generally be the older plant. Unhealthy scion plants to start will result in likely failure.

If someone sowed on someone else's arm onto your shoulder, you would also need a long recovery period. Take it easy until the symbiotic new plant is well off on its way.

Stoxx Out

*I do not recommend working with cannabis where illegal. The above post is hypothetical information about grafting plants in general, or hemp where legal. My post is not to be taken as suggestive of doing something stupid like breaking the law. If you do, the risk is solely yours.

Sad is the day when multiple scions turn herm.

:mad::eek::(

Robert C. Clarke has a conservative way to graft. Keeping the original scion root around until the fuse is set.

*Post not to be seen as a recommendation or condoning of working with cannabis where illegal. It is purely hypothetical and informational. The scan is posted for entertainment purposes only.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 16
There is always the question of grafting say one plant on a different plant.

It will not lead to psychoactive hops for psychoactive beer. So don't bother.

Long recovery time means its useless for most. It is marginally useful for yield (hops) but not worth the time. Variety while keeping plant count done (in case you have no room for more hops plant) is the reason you would graft.

That's it. And taking a cutting from a multi-plant won't clone the unique hydra-plant. If you, a man, had a woman's arm grafted on you with nice long fingers, and somehow you were cloned, that clone would just be identical to the original you, your clone wouldn't inherit the grafted arm. Goes without saying but people ask these things all the time.

i was reading over at another forum about grafting, and a few questions came to my mind, i hope i can get some answers in here...

its about males,
they are often hard to clone, hard to reveg, hard to keep em alive for a long time in veg mode and tend to flower almost like automatics with age, independantly of the photoperiod
contrary to females ...

so graft em together (instead of storing pollen and/or keeping clones)

will those unfavorable issues vanish, when a male is grafted upon female base?
(will the male part go into flowering mode independantly of the female part, will the male part induce flowering to the female part, will the male "take over" the whole plant programming, and killing the female rest as its becoming old and dying off, will the female base give extra longlivety to the male part ... )

thats the most important question to me ... but i have a few more, in that aspect of grafting

lets say we have this male and only this male with his bad attributes stated above ...
what will happen if i graft a female ontop of that male? will the female take over some of the bad characteristics, like autoflowering or not being able to reveg i, or bad cloning abilities ?

also i read about grafting photoperiodic strains onto automatic bases, which is supposed to transfer the auto - characteristic onto the grafted strain; by this it should be very easy to finish a pure haze anywhere outdoors in europe in time, but the other way round is also thought of being superior; auto ontop of the normal strain, because of its advantage in the root system and by this delivering more nutes and giving bigger yields

any input is greatly welcome (until im going to be ready for experiments and finding answers to it)

waiting here, curious and impatiently .... :confused:

met a member of this forum today and had to join..
check out some of our grafting work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhWLaTopL4

will be a making a step by step on how to graft soon..
thanks for watching and all questions welcome..

Grafting is used in agriculture to shorten the time it takes trees to produce fruit, and keep producing the same phenotype over generations. Grafting an annual flower like cannabis is a waste of time. Asexual Cuttings readily root on their own (unlike cherry, apple, pear and many other fruit trees), and phenotypes are easily reproduced generation after generation from cuttings without the need for grafts. If you look at the reason grapes are grafted onto the root stock of Vitis californica, those reasons would not be applicable to cannabis.

grafting cannabis is frankly a waste of time unless you somehow are able to cultivate an IBL in mass quantities that is resistant to root aphids and fusarium. Even if you did have the root stock, how would you sustain a farm... the whole reason grafting works , in a business sense, is because of the dormancy the trees go into. this allows for shipping, storage, slow sales. Things that could never be applied to an annual. Much less cannabis.

There are so many other fun, and important things to study. Give up on grafting, grafting in no way shape or form is a productive way to grow cannabis.

Back