G13Hz Vs Nl5Hz who wins?

Also i have only used these as manure, mainly nettle for its abundace and amazing effect.
But i also did comfrey, horsetail and fern.
Currently only brewing nettles and mixing anything else into the soil- so it could be water only but i inoculate, boost and activate with some extra nettle luv, did some homework over the years about the inputs so i dont have to care that much about feeding and enjoy the grow.

KIMG0690.JPG

Nothing beats the price of "free." That was about 20 kilos wet weight (judging by how much of a pain in the ass it was to carry home) but only took about a minute for each kilo, of my time. Nettles are more nutrient dense, but I'm not driving my happy ass up to the Colombia Gorge, to get them from "my spot." So...

These, I am drying on pallets under my trailer (caravan) [dry and in the shade] and then grind to a meal, and mix intimately with dried, roasted, ground banana peels, for a K boosting top dress.

With the corn though, part of the effect is from microbes, native to the corn's rhizosphere. It totally works with bran, but its not entirely the same. I wonder the same about so called cob cures sans the cob or even done with store bought husks vs from the garden. I mean with tea, most black tea is not actually fermented. Puh-erh is though. In that, what microbes are there counts. Tempeh is actually made using a fungus, native to hibiscus and the Bacillus subtilis used in making natto and doenjang is indigenous to rice straw.

Not trying to over complicate things. Its The Cosmos fault. You can blame it if you'd like, but its mostly wasted energy; speaking from experience.

Zymology is fun and delicious.

Last edited:
Thats a beautiful pile of comfrey, maybe we can swap a few kilos :ROFLMAO:

Also used em fermented banana peels last round for the K. Chopped them wet, put in blender with em and water and let ferment in closed container.
Make hay while the sun shines. I might get another crop, but eventually it gets so dry that there is nothing, worth harvesting until it rains, and I've got greens, Brassicas, some fruit plants, perennial medicinal herbs, and favas to feed. So Yeah. I throw down while the getting is good.

I think its possible to get a good product from hay but prefer to store some wet manure. It just hits different, ill add mycos and its not unheard of to see shrooms pop up few days after watering.
Its a colloquial (American?) expression that just means to get it while it is available. Though I will layer hay with coffee waste and compost, topping it with a decent soil mix, and then just keep topping it off, to grow vegetables in those big 25+Gallon fabric pots. Media gets fucking expensive. Hay... on the other hand, at least by comparison... Its like ghetto tek hydro almost.

Its a colloquial (American?) expression that just means to get it while it is available. Though I will layer hay with coffee waste and compost, topping it with a decent soil mix, and then just keep topping it off, to grow vegetables in those big 25+Gallon fabric pots. Media gets fucking expensive. Hay... on the other hand, at least by comparison... Its like ghetto tek hydro almost.

I got that colloquial, we have a similar saying. Was just important to me to share that i second your approach, but prefer to make liquid manure while available and then store that instead of dried herb.
Or was it a complete colloquial and you do compost the comfrey in that layer tek completely and do not save some dried!?

Anyway, you struck a nerve with this one im all ears.
Love to take about natural collectables and their usage, outperforms any 100$ booster bottle all day...

Hi WDS,

Thanks for your reply, and very helpful tips. Keep those coming, brother, as I can use all the help I can get, to expand my field of awareness in this beautiful craft.

Apologies for the delayed response on my end.

One of the most astounding grows on here is, imo, the 2021 Ontario Early Queen outdoor grow.

Thanks, WDS, for reminding me of this grow log. I remember it being mentioned a couple times in other threads. Can't remember off-hand if I've looked it over yet, but I will definitely make a point of it, now; since you've rated it so highly. I'm sure it won't disappoint but only inspire me to grow EQ. Not in possession of it atm, but it will be my next purchase, thanks to your high praise for her.

As per Skunkle's comment, and the simple fact that this one is an IBL, if you found something even close, then gave her some EQ pollen.. Might be something to think about.

I love this suggestion, WDS. Keeping my fingers crossed for a a special breeder. I'm not a breeder but do love the subject, immensely; and the great enjoyment of imagining potential future breeding projects; and what I'd do if my circumstances allowed it.

If I had a facility for it, or a couple green-houses, and funds to run them, breeding work would be my top priority. Production work not so much, but I keep an open mind to that. Maybe it would be the only way to make the breeding work happen.

Anyway, I can do some basic hobby work, but I'm very limited on space, where I currently reside. I don't see myself ever owning more than three tents at this current location; 4 at the very most. That's in part why I'm interested in TC, as it would go a long way to solving my "room/space" crunch.

Nevertheless, I like your idea enough to keep a couple clones alive for next year. It makes good sense, based on how well it performed for my fellow Ontario grower there. I'll make some G13 Haze seed as well; which was the original plan. Prior to your suggestion, EQ wasn't on my "To Do List."

I also have a G13 × Vietnam Black seed that I picked up from the cBay Auction. Would love to "work" that as well, for a potential coupling with MNS G13 Haze.

I found a less assertive Kumaoni male to act as a genetic "Rainguard" for my sativa endeavors here. Though there is also some Parvati Valley in there too. The latter just wanted a few more weeks than was ideal. I could finish her, but just barely.

That's an extremely fascinating project WDS, I commend you for your work on it, especially being as far north as you are. It fascinates me deeply. We can always use more sativa based breeding, for the colder northern zones. I must confess, though, to being unfamiliar with your Kumaoni genetics. Where does that originate from, please? Is that from a highland region?

Where the Kumaoni is like Goldilocks perfect. My more assertive plant (Kumaoni) turns dark purple and smells like Minute Made oj concentrate. Great flower structure for that part of the world.

Sounds absolutely exotic and mesmerizing, in both cases, blonde & purp. The fatal attraction comes across, "fatal" as in "irresistible". Got to love those "purps", though. Sounds like Purple Kumaoni would make a killer cross with Purple Dalat Vietnamese, by Snow-high (the breeder).

Vs the EQ though, you will have to breed out all CBD phenos, more feral ones, and some lower potency ones too. So the EQ is easier. Just saying what worked for me.

Indeed, breeding out the CBD, or isolating into a separately bred line. I'd love to have a 1:1 version as well as the high THC line. I look forward to hearing much more, in the near future, about your fascinating projects!

Diatoms kind of just hit that autistic streak in me. I mean, they are so plentiful that they even influence the weather, via being taken up into the atmosphere. Plus, anytime you put something, with lots of nooks and crannies into the soil, it pretty much turns into high occupancy microbial housing.

I definitely love the tune / ring of "high occupancy microbial housing". To be honest, I haven't used DE before, as I have relied on other inputs with a high silica percentage; but having followed your "inspirational" lead, I gave it some thought and will utilize it in this grow.

My knowledge of it isn't up to speed yet, but I was thinking of applying 2 -3 cups of it to the top 3 inches of 13 dry gallons of substrate. Does that sound reasonable to you? Or over-kill? I intended to add Azomite to the pots as well.

Then the other thing, (and I have enough earthworms in my media, that fabric pots are nice as the others shit earthworm castings out of the bottom, from all of the motion, of them doing their thing) is that over about a few months it goes from looking greyish and chalky to just looking like high quality earthworm castings, without much of any loss in volume, just obvious settling. In the middle though, the media itself almost feels like horticultural foam; like what is used for flower arrangements. A LOT less need for frequency of watering too.

I love the sound of "a LOT less need for frequency of watering." Has a nice ring to it. I'm not using fabric pots, but always open to the possibility of trying them someday. Atm, I grow in Earthboxes and Air-pots.

Just makes me think, in general about the lack of significant mineral element, in a lot of indoor grow medias, vs... actual soil. Thought streaming...

No problem with the "stream of consciousness"; just let it flow for the record; and let the reader in need apply what he/ she can glean from it. Trace minerals are absolutely critical and can lead to a nutrient lock-out if they're deficient, or altogether absent from the medium.

Anyways, its always nice to see you around and thanks again for sharing.

Holy moly, dude, thank you for the knowledge drops. I love them. You challenge me to be a better grower. So much to learn, but I love the challenge.

As an aside, on Skunkle's comment, one of the things, that I am really looking forward to, with those beans, is to make a shitload of seeds and then pan for indica phenos to cross to the G13 x Skunk.

That sounds KILLER! I'm definitely going to track that journey, if & when you elect to publish it on the FORUM, here.

Cheers! - FF

Last edited:
Kumaoni is a multipurpose cultigen "landrace" (which can often mean that it is a wild form from a place. Where when we use it, "heirloom" would often be more appropriate) from Uttarakhand, India. Anything on the India side is going to have some good mold resilience due to the monsoon season. It becomes a question of other idiosyncrasies of their native climate, like The Parvati Valley definitely seems to lean more towards the subtropical than mine. Where as the state vegetable of Uttarakhand is stinging nettles. My kind of place... The Nanda Devi is also from the same region. Where the former is a multipurpose plant, the Nanda Devi is just for charas, not seed and fiber also. The seeds are smaller and the strangest thing... They actually need some cold stratification; like a dog breed that is domesticated, but still has the traits of a wolf in some striking ways. I got them via The Real Seed co. Their Nanda Devi 2 is in the middle... as it is a cross pollination of the two.

Angus (the proprietor) described good quality charas from the Kumaoni to be rustic, but to possess one of the most positive effects in Cannabis. Note though, that we are talking about growing a lot of plant mass to make a concentrate. I think that it is also important to think about the so called "entourage effect." I don't like the term. Because I don't think that it gives sufficient weight to the full complexity of the subject. I think that something like "synergistic pharmacology" would be better. Its like this: if you had a bunch of people, sitting around playing random notes on a bunch of instruments, would that be the same thing as playing "Also Sprach Zarathustra" on the same instruments?

In medical chemistry, there is a concept called, "the pharmacophore." Basically, when you are looking at the molecular structure, of a bioactive molecule, how does changing certain parts influence it's overall behavior, and by extension, what role do those parts play int it's overall pharmacology? With plants, I feel that the pharmacophore is generally, more or less, everything in it, with sometimes surprising importance in seemingly mundane details. The idea of an "active compound." Comes from the investigation of P.somniferum (cue Poe) and the discovery of morphine as being the chief agonist of the opioid system. Here is the thing though: EVERY other alkaloid, naturally occurring in it, also has demonstrable biological activity. So... how is this not a flawed concept? Repeating something a bunch is not enough to make it true. Another way of thinking about it is comparing it to a colony forming insect species. Where biologists consider the whole colony "the organism" in some ways, rather than a singular individual. Being that it could not serve the entire function needed for it's existence on it's own.

At any rate, with hash/garda/charas, whatever you want to call it, and however you make it, you have a field or at least a plot full of plants, all with different phytochemistry. Then the hash itself is the sum total of everything there; not just one plant. It is a different cultivation philosophy and the plants themselves have not been selectively bred to be "bud." But.... it is a hell of a lot more domesticated than crossing in some Michigan ditch weed, that I will pretend came from Russia (referencing DJ Short's book's opinion on the likely origins of early examples of C.ruderalis)

So for an example, I saw one guy, calling himself something like "The Cutting Guy" on one forum bitching about RSC's Sinai. Because he couldn't get it to behave like any other plant, he was familiar with. I concur that even the crosses of it can be a bitch to root. Then if rooted, if it is an autoflowering pheno, it WILL go full intersex at some point in flower. I mean two tops; one male, one female. But... it is a hash making cultigen, grown by the Bedouin, using minimalist agricultural technique... Not OG x Cookies x Whatever. Not indoor. Not as stand alone, giant plants, trying to crop pounds off of each. Its like on some gardening forums, seeing someone complain that their winter radishes didn't do so well in Central Texas heat. Its like, "Ya think...?" You have to understand where they are from and what they are for to get the most out of them.

It works.... but... Early Queen requires less guesswork, has a great flavor profile, and... we already know that it does well in your general region. Fucking win-win-win.

If you use your imagination, you don't need as much as you seem to think to do work, at least suitable for your own needs. The 1st step, learn to look for the little things. Memorize your plants. Eventually, you can sprout 300 seeds and find the 10 that you want, without having to grow them past the solo cup stage. You can SOG the fuck out of it, and every single plant is a different genetic roll of the dice, to find that (I wanted to go with male examples but seems counterintuitive) so that Marie Curie and Patsy Cline of a plant.

Think Matt Damon in The Martian. Figure out what you want to accomplish then just figure out how to connect the dots. I'm not special, except in having an autistic person's obsession with ethnobotany/o chem, and having enough grit to make it happen. During the housing collapse, I was so hard up for a good phosphorus source that I literally figured out how to vermicompost my own shit and used that to flower with. That's how I got turned onto those liquid chromatography soil test kits, actually.

“Do not think that what is hard for you to master is humanly impossible; and if it is humanly possible, consider it to be within your reach.”
― Marcus Aurelius

As per the DE, what gave me the idea is bonsai growers. If you think that we are uptight... wow... The thing is: there are two forms. One, the powdery kind, that you are probably familiar with, and another, that has been sintered (heated til molten) and is more like growing in shards of glass. There is also some concern that this form is more hazardous for the workers, packaging the stuff. So I will take a pass for the moment on that one. Also, it's physical properties aren't exactly the same. Both forms though, have been used, on their own, as a sort of hydroponic media. So you can't really overdo it.

At the rate, that you are talking about, I have found pH balancing benefit. But we are talking about mixing it in completely. Not just using it as a top dress. What I was talking about is using it at 30-about 40% of the total media. Get everything that isn't it good and wet or your earthworms will hate you. Then rather than watering thoroughly, water gently with something sugary (molasses, malted barley syrup, date syrup, honey, etc) but like I said gently. You need that mycelial explosion to help bind everything together or else, it will just run out the holes of the pot. Over time, like I said, you can't even tell that it was ever there by looking at it. An old timer told me that worms need grit in their diets, like chickens. It seems like it turns your whole media into worm castings. They like it so much. It causes a lot of worm snot build up in the soil though. So be careful doing transfers. Because sometimes the soil almost seems like it wants to stick to the pot. If it seems like it is doing this (more of a problem with overvegged plants) I just squeeze the sides. Then take a thin bamboo stake and run it around the circumference, to loosen it up.

I like Azomite. I don't always use it, but I think that the arguments against it don't understand that an aluminosilicate mineral is a hell of a lot more complex than aluminum + silicon. That aluminosilicates are so ubiquitous in nature. That if they were really a problem. We'd already be fucked.

I've got airpots too. I love them for perennials, I plan to transplant (like a fruit tree) that might also hate having it's roots disturbed. I got another style, as a freebie tester. That is like a fabric pot stretched over a hard plastic frame. The thing is over 10 years old and still doing fine, but apparently no one else liked them...? Fucking Beta Max of air pruning pots I guess...

I was scanning you message again going "did I answer everything....?" Yeah, that Vietnamese Black cross... You know how when someone sees something that kind of blows their mind, it sound so exciting (or she's just that fucking hot) and just sort of makes a sort of whistling sound...? Yeah... that was my reaction to reading that. Post some pictures.

Last edited:
I got that colloquial, we have a similar saying. Was just important to me to share that i second your approach, but prefer to make liquid manure while available and then store that instead of dried herb.
Or was it a complete colloquial and you do compost the comfrey in that layer tek completely and do not save some dried!?

Anyway, you struck a nerve with this one im all ears.
Love to take about natural collectables and their usage, outperforms any 100$ booster bottle all day...
I just wanted to make sure that we are communicating competently. Other than here, I do what I can what I can for autistic advocacy and not all of us get figurative speech. I'm from The South originally. So... sink or swim. A part of my brain still always hears the most literal interpretation of a thing though. Which has led to a potentially unhealthy love of punnery.

So I do both with the ferments and with meals. I like meals. Because I feel more certain that everything its getting to where I want it. Teas though, it is faster uptake. When in doubt, top dress or compost with what is left over, and nothing goes to waste. At least that is my philosophy: fuck waste. I should probably do things in the physical universe now.

I just want all of you to know how much I appreciate having you to talk to. I'm about 3 days out from making a Wilson the fucking Volleyball some days. So having people to talk to about growing with is a godsend.

At any rate, with hash/garda/charas, whatever you want to call it, and however you make it, you have a field or at least a plot full of plants, all with different phytochemistry. Then the hash itself is the sum total of everything there; not just one plant.
Shanti recommends hash made from a field of seed plants, to get the full expression and diversity of terps and cannabinoids.

That's because it tells the plant that it can ripen, effectively. I mean these plants are annuals. They want to procreate. You let them do that. They age differently than if you effectively keep them virgins til the bitter end. He's right. I don't think that it could be debated otherwise. I mean, I'm sure someone might try, but I am 210% with Shanti on that one.

Back