Fun with berries

Vlad the Inhaler

Lots of people here from Canada and USA.
You guys have great berries.

A lot of people think cutting and propagation is harder than it is.

Canna loves to be cut.
She will come more than halfway, to help you propagate her.
But still people seem to baulk up.
Berries love to be cut too.
And are good to learn the skill with.
Raspberry, blackberry and their hybrids.

I've been recycling my media after blooming lately, and the waste run off iragation also.

I gave it to chilis, but they are a bit greedy, always hungry.
Strawberry and the cane berries are a lot more easy growing.

Does anyone want to chat about berry growing and their hybrids.

Lots of people here from Canada and USA.
You guys have great berries.

A lot of people think cutting and propagation is harder than it is.

Canna loves to be cut.
She will come more than halfway, to help you propagate her.
But still people seem to baulk up.
Berries love to be cut too.
And are good to learn the skill with.
Raspberry, blackberry and their hybrids.

I've been recycling my media after blooming lately, and the waste run off iragation also.

I gave it to chilis, but they are a bit greedy, always hungry.
Strawberry and the cane berries are a lot more easy growing.

Does anyone want to chat about berry growing and their hybrids.
I'm in the Caribbean and have no real berries . However I do have a strawberry seedling which popped up in a container I germed some dragonfruit in lol.

I'm in the Caribbean and have no real berries . However I do have a strawberry seedling which popped up in a container I germed some dragonfruit in lol.

We have lots of dragon fruit plantings popping up here also.
One of our oldest wine regions just outside of Perth is being replaced by them, I guess they must return better.
A lot of the apples are being replaced by avocado in our south west as well, we don't get much rain until winter, so avo do really well here. Whole hills are filled with them, they would be excellent to grow weed in, if they were your own.
Mango will grow well also.
When I went up to Perth not long ago, in an Asian grocery store buying sauce, I found a pack of pawpaw ( papaya ) seed from China for a couple of $$
A dwarf production hybrid, that I germed on Wednesday 🤞
Blueberry is another really good plant to practice propagating by cutting, and olives too.

Which part of Caribbean are you from?
Can you put up some pics of your garden please16053906744142026608383251530206.jpg16053907453034404600043121250314.jpg16053907808499157816203112011367.jpg16053908925296890551010324802272.jpg
The last strawberry bucket takes strong food well. The leaves are massive, heaps of runners and no leaf burn.
I was going to propagate it by binding the nodes with sphagnum and tape, like an air cutting.
She's thrown so many runners now I think I'll just cut them all and chuck them into an igloo with the tray filled with coco and stick it into my canna nursery and just let them root away into the coco. Pull them out and pot them on when they get some roots.
At the moment any roots just get burned off by the sun
I reckon if I rested each runner on a little pot they would take really quickly, but the wind will blow the little pots around here
16053993832467661904626613915587.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Vlad,

If you have the opportunity to get "mara des bois" strawberry plants grab them.... It's a cross between "garigette" and wild strawberry.... There's no better strawberry than that...you eat them just like that... No sugar no cream nothing.... You pick them, a quick wash with cold water and you eat them....I love strawberries.... Have 50 plants of various kind in my yard.

For me strawberry season is over.... But it's time to pick olives and process them....

IMG_20201115_124116_compress24.jpg
Tom.

Last edited:
We have lots of dragon fruit plantings popping up here also.
One of our oldest wine regions just outside of Perth is being replaced by them, I guess they must return better.
A lot of the apples are being replaced by avocado in our south west as well, we don't get much rain until winter, so avo do really well here. Whole hills are filled with them, they would be excellent to grow weed in, if they were your own.

Yesterday I saw the local garden club selling plants on our main street in the little town I moved to recently.
Got some white and black grapes that had been propagated by cutting, and a banana too.
This is a wine region. The full size banana will fruit here, but not quite ripen.
Mango will grow well also.
When I went up to Perth not long ago, in an Asian grocery store buying sauce, I found a pack of pawpaw ( papaya ) seed from China for a couple of $$
A dwarf production hybrid, that I germed on Wednesday 🤞
Blueberry is another really good plant to practice propagating by cutting, and olives too.

Which part of Caribbean are you from?
Can you put up some pics of your garden pleaseView attachment 47167View attachment 47168View attachment 47169View attachment 47171
The last strawberry bucket takes strong food well. The leaves are massive, heaps of runners and no leaf burn.
I was going to propagate it by binding the nodes with sphagnum and tape, like an air cutting.
She's thrown so many runners now I think I'll just cut them all and chuck them into an igloo with the tray filled with coco and stick it into my canna nursery and just let them root away into the coco. Pull them out and pot them on when they get some roots.
At the moment any roots just get burned off by the sun
I reckon if I rested each runner on a little pot they would take really quickly, but the wind will blow the little pots around here
View attachment 47183
Well the strawberry started from store bought. As well as the dragonfruit. Also have some sweet potatoes in containers. I am in the north eastern caribbean . 18°N. 20201115_092306_compress86.jpg20201115_092315_compress86.jpg20201115_092320_compress58.jpg20201115_092334_compress82.jpg

Hi Vlad,

If you have the opportunity to get "mara des bois" strawberry plants grab them.... It's a cross between "garigette" and wild strawberry.... There's no better strawberry than that...you eat them just like that... No sugar no cream nothing.... You pick them, a quick wash with cold water and you eat them....I love strawberries.... Have 50 plants of various kind in my yard.

For me strawberry season is over.... But it's time to pick olives and process them....

View attachment 47184
Tom.

Hey Tom.
My son has a massive tub of that cross.
It's throws heaps of runners, and is still vigorous after 4 or 5 years now ( the tub )
The growth character alone is as impressive as can be
Nice fruit you got there.
Bien vivre

Thanks for the pics, islandgrower.

I love kumara/camote/sweet potato.

Excellent medicine, great food and had confectionery, beer, sake and sochu made from it in Kyushu.
What a genius plant

Last edited:
i have stawberries from latitude 57dgr north around valemount on the bc alberta border, i have a goji berry busy, summer and fall rasberries, blackerries are everywhere, banner year of salmon berries and huckleberries in 2020, i make jam from the h.b b.b s.b the goji is having a hard time in the yard though, right and i have blueberries in the yard as well, i have pears, peaches, cherries, apples and japanese or spanish plums.

Back