Far red emerson effect

Hanzde

Hidoho
Has one of you ever heard of an emerson effect ? turning on deep red light at end of day cycle the plants seem to finish faster and have more yield that's why all the led manufacturers are supposed to install more and more red diodes these days.
I find it quite interesting to increase the yield even in a small space and to finish faster, which affects the wallet and a deep red LED lamp with no idea 10 watts should probably make a difference for 10 watts more you have more yield and is finished faster, which means that the high-power lamps burn for a shorter period of time. won twice.

that should also mean that if you starve the plant and it has yellow leaves, it can produce less energy because the chlorophyll does the work, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Yes I read about the effect in a book called "what a plant knows " by Daniel chamovitz iirc. It is said that the far red flash at sunset signals the plant to "sleep" same as the flash of far red in the morning.
Hidoho
Has one of you ever heard of an emerson effect ? turning on deep red light at end of day cycle the plants seem to finish faster and have more yield that's why all the led manufacturers are supposed to install more and more red diodes these days.
I find it quite interesting to increase the yield even in a small space and to finish faster, which affects the wallet and a deep red LED lamp with no idea 10 watts should probably make a difference for 10 watts more you have more yield and is finished faster, which means that the high-power lamps burn for a shorter period of time. won twice.

that should also mean that if you starve the plant and it has yellow leaves, it can produce less energy because the chlorophyll does the work, doesn't it?

Hidoho

the sylvania groxpress is great for far red

"
The deep red spectrum is used to trigger or stimulate a plant's floral growth, simulate sunrise and sunset, or increase the deep red radiance of a given lighting solution.
Latest addition to the horticultural range; the GroXpress luminaire, designed for small spaces and above-ground crops under low ceilings."

9a02e499d17e221752a869dcacf63817.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @Hanzde,

what I can say is that the emersion effect exists but such effects may differ from species to species. Unfortunately there is not much research done so far for cannabis. In lettuce and tomato, far red light increased the yield which suggests that cannabis may react similarly. But research has to prove... I know of a project dealing with this question but since its confidential I am not allowed to talk about it until the papers are published.

The deep red light (660nm) it is actually standard in LED lamps. It is the most efficient wavelength to drive photosynthesis...

I hope this could help. Oh yes, and it is important not to exagerrate the amount of far red light since it will induce shade avoidance symptoms.

DjG

Hi @Hanzde,

what I can say is that the emersion effect exists but such effects may differ from species to species. Unfortunately there is not much research done so far for cannabis. In lettuce and tomato, far red light increased the yield which suggests that cannabis may react similarly. But research has to prove... I know of a project dealing with this question but since its confidential I am not allowed to talk about it until the papers are published.

The deep red light (660nm) it is actually standard in LED lamps. It is the most efficient wavelength to drive photosynthesis...

I hope this could help. Oh yes, and it is important not to exagerrate the amount of far red light since it will induce shade avoidance symptoms.

DjG
I've never heard of it, I've just read through the wiki, which is what it is, and I've learned something again, thanks

Hi @Hanzde,

DjG

it is a very important part of the spectrum for plants. One of the three light-receiving pigments on a plant (phytochrome) is based on red but also on far-red. One of these pigments (PFr) reacts specifically to far red. It is known to be very important for flowering, germination, plant elongation, chlorophyll synthesis etc.

The more far red there is in your spectrum, the faster the plant will hasten its flowering. She will "feel" that winter is coming and move as quickly as possible to bloom.

660 is red not far red that start at 700

here the red

cedf14dd057c1581208ea0ad033c6ba8.jpg

cb3c2ff165fd010d9a9433a0728fac0d.jpg

it is a very important part of the spectrum for plants. One of the three light-receiving pigments on a plant (phytochrome) is based on red but also on far-red. One of these pigments (PFr) reacts specifically to far red. It is known to be very important for flowering, germination, plant elongation, chlorophyll synthesis etc.

The more far red there is in your spectrum, the faster the plant will hasten its flowering. She will "feel" that winter is coming and move as quickly as possible to bloom.

660 is red not far red that start at 700

here the red

cedf14dd057c1581208ea0ad033c6ba8.jpg

cb3c2ff165fd010d9a9433a0728fac0d.jpg
Yes but too much far red light will induce shade avoidance. In nature, small plants that are shaded by bigger plants receive an elevated portion of far red and green light as these wavelengths are mostly transmitted by the leaves of the big plants. The big plants absorb most of the red and blue. So the small plants elongate until they reach the full spectrum and high intensity light for efficient photosynthesis, growth and development. This is what i mean by shade avoidance.

Phytochromes exist in two interchangable states named Pr and Pfr. R stands for red-absorbing and fr for far red absorbing.
So after the dark period all the phytochrome is in the inactive Pr form. As soon as the light hits the plant, red light turns Pr into Pfr which is the active form of phytochromes. Active phytochromes with the help of PIFs interact with the DNA and control plant morphology. In this case the plant would grow normally as we all want it to. Far red reverses the phytochrome activation and turns Pfr back to Pr. This is a signal for the plant that it is in shaded conditions and needs to elongate to reach the sun and the Pr form will induce different genetic expressions than the Pfr form. Therefore too much far red or better said the wrong red/farred ratio and PSS (phytochrome photostationary state) induces shade avoidance since most of the phytochrome is Pr.

Peace ✌️

DjG

Yes but too much far red light will induce shade avoidance. In nature, small plants that are shaded by bigger plants receive an elevated portion of far red and green light as these wavelengths are mostly transmitted by the leaves of the big plants. The big plants absorb most of the red and blue. So the small plants elongate until they reach the full spectrum and high intensity light for efficient photosynthesis, growth and development. This is what i mean by shade avoidance.

Phytochromes exist in two interchangable states named Pr and Pfr. R stands for red-absorbing and fr for far red absorbing.
So after the dark period all the phytochrome is in the inactive Pr form. As soon as the light hits the plant, red light turns Pr into Pfr which is the active form of phytochromes. Active phytochromes with the help of PIFs interact with the DNA and control plant morphology. In this case the plant would grow normally as we all want it to. Far red reverses the phytochrome activation and turns Pfr back to Pr. This is a signal for the plant that it is in shaded conditions and needs to elongate to reach the sun and the Pr form will induce different genetic expressions than the Pfr form. Therefore too much far red or better said the wrong red/farred ratio and PSS (phytochrome photostationary state) induces shade avoidance since most of the phytochrome is Pr.

Peace ✌

DjG
but then the plant is in bloom after her strecht phase she should not strecht anymore? or she puts all energy in new grow insted of buds

but then the plant is in bloom after her strecht phase she should not strecht anymore? or she puts all energy in new grow insted of buds
I dont know bro. What i wrote before is about all I know, and most of these experiments were made on lettuce, tomato or arabidopsis and mostly on young plants. No clue how cannabis, especially in mid flowering would react 🤷‍♂️ interesting thoughts for further research though

Peace ✌

DjG

with all the bulb i try in my life
the bulb with the most far red are the best for bloom is faster
the plant is little because they are more uv than the sun
but in nature the plant will not be little is the lamp who doing the little size

inddor grow and outdoor are totaly different

Anecdotally I can say that the longest season Alcapulco Gold I ran finished under "white" light at about 26 weeks if I recall correctly and NEVER finished under the Illumitex which has much more red and pink in the spectrum.

I found an interesting review article which is all about light and cannabis. It is open source so you can download it for free.

Peace ✌

DjG

the par of the hps is around 30% the rest is not use by the plant
the best par is the turbo neon you have 100% of the light who are used

Anecdotally I can say that the longest season Alcapulco Gold I ran finished under "white" light at about 26 weeks if I recall correctly and NEVER finished under the Illumitex which has much more red and pink in the spectrum.

you talking about a strain but all the other like more red

26weeks for a bloom you can put all the light you want that will change nothing :)

This has got me wondering about the effects of a full moon,
which is down towards the 420 nm spectrum
intensify the length (3-4 days) of simulated harvest moon gradually
then decrease it for the last 3-4 days maybe just a thought

Last edited:
With far red it's 2 seperate things. Phytochrome reaction is having a 720nm light on for 20 min before lights out and turns off 20 min after lights out. The plant switches to respiration mode very quickly it simulates sunset. Normally indoor it would take 2 hours to switch to sleep. More efficient use of resources.
Emerson effect is when 660nm and 720nm are on together. Triggers shade avoidance in plant so she works overtime trying to escape the "shade" I def think it positively effects ladies I use this one20210503_082045.jpg

With far red it's 2 seperate things. Phytochrome reaction is having a 720nm light on for 20 min before lights out and turns off 20 min after lights out. The plant switches to respiration mode very quickly it simulates sunset. Normally indoor it would take 2 hours to switch to sleep. More efficient use of resources.
Emerson effect is when 660nm and 720nm are on together. Triggers shade avoidance in plant so she works overtime trying to escape the "shade" I def think it positively effects ladies I use this one
the question is: is this "trying to escape the shade" affect or influence favorably Bud growth

Back