Experience with decarbing to activate thc

earth magic

Hi everyone
I wouid appreciate some guidance on decarboxylating to activate thc
How long, what temp, whole flower or ground, and any care taken
To make butter ages ago I used to put trim in a turkey roasting bag, and gave it 20 minutes at 135°c, I think 🤔
Long time ago now, so would like a bit of input please
I'm just going to grind the activated flower, push into veg caps with a few other goodies, and use as needed
Thanks

Decarbing is to make the thc psychoactive, I get that
What I don't know is, is it any use for CBD?
I've got some beans of 1/30 THC/CBD flower
I'm just going to grind and eat the flower whole, not extracted
I just eat the CBD flower raw?

I eat pu erh tea leaves and dried bitter melon already, as well as tumeric extract, so grinding some flower in won't be hard

Last edited:
@earth magic asked: "Decarbing is to make the thc psychoactive, I get that What I don't know is, is it any use for CBD?

Yes.

"Decarboxylation (heating) converts a cannabinoid acid (e.g. THCA or CBDA) into an active cannabinoid (e.g. THC or CBD). This process takes place automatically when smoking or vaporising cannabis. However, in order to add active cannabinoids to products (e.g. CBD oil), decarboxylation is essential. Apr 14, 2022"

"In simple terms, this means that the acid (A) splits off, so that CBDA turns into CBD and THCA into THC - in other words, into its active form. To avoid having to wait for the natural process, manufacturers of CBD oils, for example, decarboxylate the plant material with heat.
https://alpinols.com/en/blogs/cbd-wissen/decarboxylierung

This information is also located in the first sentence of the link in post #7.
"Introduction: Decarboxylation is an important step for efficient production of the major active components in cannabis, for example, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabigerol (CBG)."

Longball

My advice is purely anecdotal, so YMMV. I mostly medicate with infused oil and edibles. Started out decarbing in the oven, but temperature control was an issue. Getting an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) was a game changer.

• THCA to Δ9-THC → bake at 240°F/116°C for 40 minutes
• CBDA to CBD → bake at 240°F/116°C for 90 minutes
• CBGA to CBG → bake at 220°F/105°C for 60 minutes
• Δ9-THC to CBN→ bake at 240°F/116°C for 180 minutes

Using pressing live rosin in oil (or tossing the puck directly in tea) is very nice as well

@earth magic asked: "Decarbing is to make the thc psychoactive, I get that What I don't know is, is it any use for CBD?

Yes.

"Decarboxylation (heating) converts a cannabinoid acid (e.g. THCA or CBDA) into an active cannabinoid (e.g. THC or CBD). This process takes place automatically when smoking or vaporising cannabis. However, in order to add active cannabinoids to products (e.g. CBD oil), decarboxylation is essential. Apr 14, 2022"

"In simple terms, this means that the acid (A) splits off, so that CBDA turns into CBD and THCA into THC - in other words, into its active form. To avoid having to wait for the natural process, manufacturers of CBD oils, for example, decarboxylate the plant material with heat.
https://alpinols.com/en/blogs/cbd-wissen/decarboxylierung

This information is also located in the first sentence of the link in post #7.
"Introduction: Decarboxylation is an important step for efficient production of the major active components in cannabis, for example, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabigerol (CBG)."

Longball
Thanks

My advice is purely anecdotal, so YMMV. I mostly medicate with infused oil and edibles. Started out decarbing in the oven, but temperature control was an issue. Getting an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) was a game changer.

• THCA to Δ9-THC → bake at 240°F/116°C for 40 minutes
• CBDA to CBD → bake at 240°F/116°C for 90 minutes
• CBGA to CBG → bake at 220°F/105°C for 60 minutes
• Δ9-THC to CBN→ bake at 240°F/116°C for 180 minutes

Using pressing live rosin in oil (or tossing the puck directly in tea) is very nice as well
Thanks for your recipes
I have a digital steam oven, that can hold temperature within 1.5°c +/- so baking is easy, appreciate your timings though
I've got a magic butter machine too, used to be fun slopping the butter on my Vegemite toast

Thanks for your recipes
I have a digital steam oven, that can hold temperature within 1.5°c +/- so baking is easy, appreciate your timings though
I've got a magic butter machine too, used to be fun slopping the butter on my Vegemite toast

That degree of temperature control in an oven is nice! Instant Pot would definitely be a waste in your situation.
That said not sure why I never thought of pairing infused butter and vegemite before. Going to have to try that next time I make a batch.

Decarboxylation (heating) converts a cannabinoid acid (e.g. THCA or CBDA) into an active cannabinoid (e.g. THC or CBD). This process takes place automatically when smoking or vaporising cannabis
I know THCA has beneficial properties, I'd imagine CBDA also has beneficial properties. You could always decarboxylate the majority of your flower for the active compounds, and grind some of the non-decarboxylated CBD for a potentially fuller spectrum product.

I know THCA has beneficial properties, I'd imagine CBDA also has beneficial properties. You could always decarboxylate the majority of your flower for the active compounds, and grind some of the non-decarboxylated CBD for a potentially fuller spectrum product.
Cheers
If I wanted to broaden spectrum, I'd most likely include CBG flower
I'll probably infuse the raw CBD trim in coconut oil though

I think they call "heated" a 1:1 CBD/THC and "unheated" a 1:1 CBDA/THCA. And I'm not sure what the median sum of the metabolites versus median CBD plasma AUC means but it sounds like unheated might give a higher dose of CBD at least. Maybe?

It's a dog study but it might be helpful.

Back