Entering the world of rosin.

PlantManBee

Hey y’all some of you know that I moved from Austin Texas to Toklahoma in the Cherokee Nation. I moved for a few reasons, the status of weed being a big one.

It turns out there’s a gold rush going on with weed here and I still have 14 months until residency means I can sell my product. Kind of a bummer man… but I met a pair of young extractors fresh from British Columbia also looking into the game here. Together we are considering opening a weed club providing insight, services, and equipment… maybe testing too. Everything is still up in the air.

Here’s the point of the post: a couple of my plants have been tested as far as rosin extraction goes. The first one, my “Glueberry “ impressed them enough to request other plant material.

Here’s a picture of the Glueberry rosin.
146A1B8B-F460-4658-AD5A-1BFC366FAA75.jpeg
Here’s the description the first tester gave me: “This is your Glueberry, it has been my best press yet. Great yield, color, smell, taste, hit, feel.”

Hey y’all some of you know that I moved from Austin Texas to Toklahoma in the Cherokee Nation. I moved for a few reasons, the status of weed being a big one.

It turns out there’s a gold rush going on with weed here and I still have 14 months until residency means I can sell my product. Kind of a bummer man… but I met a pair of young extractors fresh from British Columbia also looking into the game here. Together we are considering opening a weed club providing insight, services, and equipment… maybe testing too. Everything is still up in the air.

Here’s the point of the post: a couple of my plants have been tested as far as rosin extraction goes. The first one, my “Glueberry “ impressed them enough to request other plant material.

Here’s a picture of the Glueberry rosin.
View attachment 59727
Here’s the description the first tester gave me: “This is your Glueberry, it has been my best press yet. Great yield, color, smell, taste, hit, feel.”
That sounds exciting, keep us posted on the venture.

So not every plant qualifies for the rosin press? Can good weed not be good for rosin pressing?

Can good weed not be good for rosin pressing?
Apparently yes. It also lets some plants that aren't as good structure-wise become viable pants in the market.

I've been working with a few "Sweet Skunk" Xs that have wonderful terps and resin but are absolute garbage as far as bud formation. About half of the resin is on little fan leaves and as a Sativa bud smoker, I don't think it's acceptable. However, on pressing one of those plants (now dead, unfortunately) with those leaves it gets an almost respectable live resin (Rosin?) yield of about 12% on the preliminary runs. It was also an 8-week plant, whereas I generally run plants that are around 12 weeks.

That’s a beautiful colour. I attempted to press some flower (with an Amazon hair Straightner 😂 and a wood working clamp ). They made it look easy online but I don’t think the flower I had was the greatest for pressing. Didn’t really get anything.. only results I could get took high heat and came out real dark. I’d be jumping for joy if I had a plant that could produce that gem quality lookin rosin like that 😍. Would probably invest in a proper press too. Nice work!

That’s a beautiful colour. I attempted to press some flower (with an Amazon hair Straightner 😂 and a wood working clamp ). They made it look easy online but I don’t think the flower I had was the greatest for pressing. Didn’t really get anything.. only results I could get took high heat and came out real dark. I’d be jumping for joy if I had a plant that could produce that gem quality lookin rosin like that 😍. Would probably invest in a proper press too. Nice work!
Been pressing my stuff into rosin and it's definitely strain dependant. I've got a huge yielding very sativa C99 I was hoping to press because it's relatively weak I'd say, but nice hazy fruity smell and lots and lots of it, I would need to smoke way too much for me to ever enjoy with my high tolerance. I need to be able to smoke a cola at once, hehe. It's nice to get it in concentrated form, but it's a ton of work because compared to some of the more visibly frosty plants the rosin yield is very miserly. Also the rosin that does come out is relatively dark, not golden like my best yielders.

I tried hair straightener once with that low yielder and got nothing but pressed, toasted buds. I think the hair straightener stuff is really for people who buy a few grams at a dispensary and want to make it into rosin.

PMB that Glueberry rosin looks gorgeous. (y)

Thats what I tested too, only thing I made was rosin stuck on plant material...
So I smoked the whole thing :D :D And never tried again :)

Thanks everybody!

I'm now leaving the world of Rosin and entering the world of Bubble Hash. LOL

I'm 100% sure I can lay waste to what they sell as sieved hash up here. The plant used here, and everything in this X should yield plants that are prime for hash.

Stay tuned.

Too much trouble IMO, for me anyway. Hash is easier, I cant imagine there being that big a difference between the two, but I do know a guy who makes bricks of hash, then presses them into rosin.

I've got too much hash meanwhile, I just can't find a respectable way to smoke it. Used to do blades and bottle tokes when I was young. I might look into an enail and get a water bong or something.

Looking forward to your new hash journey, why are you switching? How goes the business venture?

Too much trouble IMO, for me anyway. Hash is easier, I cant imagine there being that big a difference between the two, but I do know a guy who makes bricks of hash, then's n presses them into rosin.

I've got too much hash meanwhile, I just can't find a respectable way to smoke it. Used to do blades and bottle tokes when I was young. I might look into an enail and get a water bong or something.

Looking forward to your new hash journey, why are you switching? How goes the business venture?
I'm switching because there's no old-school hash to be found that isn't garbage. I have heard of stuff that a guy used to make around here but he quit. Then as I was going to Dallas I checked along the road and two of the dispensaries HAD good bubble, but whenever they get it word gets out and it all gets scooped up. I'm confident of my weed and its suitability to make hash and my ability to learn to make "the best" at whatever craft I am attempting to master. I can bake really well and the needs are similar.

Unfortunately licensing is suspended at the moment so even though I have cleared most of my residency requirements I now don't know WHEN I can sell legally. That's part of my plan: learn to make impressive hash and goto producers and offer my services, since hash here sucks.

Thanks y'all.

I just hashed a particular plant for the first time and feel pretty underwhelmed after running a few ounces of good, frozen bud. I'm making bubble to press into rosin, but feel like some strains are probably better pressed straight to rosin.
As for hash being easier, I think rosin is easier, ice water extraction is a whole other skillset and I suspect my underwhelming result is at least as much my inexperience as the strain not working well for hash. Oh well. Live and learn.

I just hashed a particular plant for the first time and feel pretty underwhelmed after running a few ounces of good, frozen bud. I'm making bubble to press into rosin, but feel like some strains are probably better pressed straight to rosin.
As for hash being easier, I think rosin is easier, ice water extraction is a whole other skillset and I suspect my underwhelming result is at least as much my inexperience as the strain not working well for hash. Oh well. Live and learn.
I usually use my trimmings in my bubble bags, and do 2-3 dry runs first, so no worries with drying the trichs properly. Ice water extraction last, but usually not much left at that point. Never tried full on buds

I usually use my trimmings in my bubble bags, and do 2-3 dry runs first, so no worries with drying the trichs properly. Ice water extraction last, but usually not much left at that point. Never tried full on buds
I've been pressing my buds into rosin but it's a long, tedious process at about 7g of dry bud per press, but apparently the best grade of rosin is made from pressed bubble hash made from bud (or trim), and it would involve a lot less pressing too. They make "live rosin" from plants frozen soon after harvest, preserving the most terpenes, and I thought, saving me from having to dry it. All true but it also meant that the bud was useless for anything but hash after it was frozen.
I'd never used bubble bags before so this is a learning process too. I froze a whole trimmed plant, with sugar leaves etc still on, and cut down to small thumbnail bud size, but what I should have realised is that some plants drop a lot of trichs and some don't. Even though this stuff is decent, good quality to smoke, I should have checked its potential for hash before committing the whole thing.

I find most parts of this field require trial and error. I try not to have too many expectations when experimenting, which makes the mistakes less painful and they also become learning experiences. @MImedpatient has good experience with getting rosin out of bubble hash, he can also be found on IG under the same name if he doesn't chime in here, he's very helpful :)

I used to follow a guy who used dry Ice to make hash on one of the forums . He had a whole breakdown of the process. But he makes rso with his hash.

I read that dry ice works really well.
I'm going to get some more ice and run the same material through again today, worth a try, then try a different strain that I froze some of. This last lot did make some amazing looking hash, just didn't seem like a good trade off, but indeed it is all trial and error and I wouldn't have committed that plant if I'd been low on stuff.
From this point on, everything but trim I'll dry as normal, though I think it might feel even weirder to pour finely dried and cured buds into water - feels counterintuitive!

I read that dry ice works really well.
I'm going to get some more ice and run the same material through again today, worth a try, then try a different strain that I froze some of. This last lot did make some amazing looking hash, just didn't seem like a good trade off, but indeed it is all trial and error and I wouldn't have committed that plant if I'd been low on stuff.
From this point on, everything but trim I'll dry as normal, though I think it might feel even weirder to pour finely dried and cured buds into water - feels counterintuitive!
Can watch frenchy canoli hash tutorial on yt.

Can watch frenchy canoli hash tutorial on yt.
Thanks, good idea. I have been reading press club blog articles which have been handy. "Built" a stacking bucket system, and at the very least you want two buckets and to mix in one and then pour it in the other through the filters, rather than just mixing in the stacked bags which is what I had originally assumed.

Back