Early stage bud rot or buds turning purple?

lozac123

Hi guys, looking for some more advice on this plant please. All information can be found at this thread regarding set-up etc:

Basically, I am concerned that this plant may have early stage bud rot, but I am not sure if I am being extra paranoid or not. Last year I lost most of my crop to it, so I am trying to be as preemptive as possible.

Pics are below. They are not the best quality as I cannot seem to get a great macro shot, this is about as close as I can get. Basically in all of the buds on this one plant, the inside leaves have begun to show a hint of purple. This is exactly what it looked like this year, but the growing circumstances are very different. We have had several weeks of rain, but this is grown in a polytunnel so although the humiditiy is high, the plant is not getting wet. I have a second plant that is also the same strain (Bubblegum auto), it does not have any hints of purple.

On pulling any of the effected leaves lightly, they are still strongly attached. That is one major difference to last year, the leaves just fell off when pulled.

Any thoughts?

thanks guys!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    984.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    920.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi guys, looking for some more advice on this plant please. All information can be found at this thread regarding set-up etc:

Basically, I am concerned that this plant may have early stage bud rot, but I am not sure if I am being extra paranoid or not. Last year I lost most of my crop to it, so I am trying to be as preemptive as possible.

Pics are below. They are not the best quality as I cannot seem to get a great macro shot, this is about as close as I can get. Basically in all of the buds on this one plant, the inside leaves have begun to show a hint of purple. This is exactly what it looked like this year, but the growing circumstances are very different. We have had several weeks of rain, but this is grown in a polytunnel so although the humiditiy is high, the plant is not getting wet. I have a second plant that is also the same strain (Bubblegum auto), it does not have any hints of purple.

On pulling any of the effected leaves lightly, they are still strongly attached. That is one major difference to last year, the leaves just fell off when pulled.

Any thoughts?

thanks guys!
Can't tell from the pictures alone, I think I see the coloration in the top of the buds.
I guess that this is what you mean?

Purple is not the typical color you expect to see from bud rot.

I look for yellowing sugar leaves that are not fading like the rest of the sugar leaves around them. This stands out and are the first signs that there is something wrong.
I you follow the suspicious leave to where it is attached to the plant you can inspect it more.
I use a magnifying glass to inspect into the flowers and white "dread like" fungus is easy to spot just as the grey fungus (=bud rot in early stage).

I know that it sucks to lose your crop but it is part of the game, chosing resistant genetics is the first step when growing in a more difficult surrounding.
I'm sure that MNS can help you with chosing the right strain for you.

Hope it helps.

Any thoughts?

thanks guys!
Hello buddy 😊🙏.
What is see in my point of view is no bud rot and from the clues you are giving us to me is that the plant is turning purple .I see no warring signs at least from this photo .
Only some hungry bug eating your leaves💪.
Another tip from my observations over time bud rot usually appears at the middle of the flower not on the top part at least in the early stages.
I hope this helps.

-SaveTheBrains

Hi guys, thank you for all of your responses. The plants never get wet, just the pots when I water them, that's one of the reasons I was shocked that it might have been bud rot as they have been in pretty good circumstances I feel.

However, I think those of you who said that it's turning purple are right. I've inspected the plant closely for mould or fungus and I cannot find any traces of it. Two days on and it seems like the buds are slightly more purple, but still look quite healthy.

So far mu I haven't given specifically cal/mag, I gave them some bat guano mixed into the top soil about 3 weeks ago, and I've been giving them regular doses of seaweed extract.

Thanks all, I will keep everyone updated whenever there is one!

Back