Early Queen outdoor Ontario, Canada

My brother and another friend’s plants both recently got hit with some powdery mildew thanks to all the recent rain down here in my part of Ontario. Hope your girls are doing alright?

High temps in pots = constant watering!

Lovely Queens! Looking forward to seeing how they finish in Canadian climate.
May the Goddess of Ganja smile upon you.

it's a good thing to have hot temperature more watering = more production
i am jalous every day is grey dry and fresh unders 20 since a week
no summer here i cross the finger the wearther stay like that for autumn not start in rain

it's a good thing to have hot temperature more watering = more production
i am jalous every day is grey dry and fresh unders 20 since a week
no summer here i cross the finger the wearther stay like that for autumn not start in rain
Hot temps are great when the plants are in the ground in good soil. In pots like Maria said creates more frequent waterings which means more chance for error. I prefer to take the guess work out and dig a hole.

why use pots? What other outdoor annual crop gets potted attention? Do corn farmers use pots? Melon farmers?

I would guess the main reason is to be able to move the plants around, bring them indoors to finish in autumn, or light-dep them in summer. I have two punto rojos growing outside at 42N this year, and the one in the ground is super healthy and happy, even though it only gets full sun for a few hours each day. There's just no substitute for letting a plant grow the way that God intended, in the Earth.

CannaFish said: "why use pots?"

Hello Cannafish!

The shape of your property and the track of the sun may dictate your course of action. In my case, I could put the MJ plants in the ground by the garage at 8am. As the sun moves, I could dig them up and replant them by the deck around noon. Then dig the plants up again around 4pm and replant them at the back end of the driveway. In the morning, dig the plants up again and plant them by the garage again at 8am the next morning. Rinse and repeat for 5 months.

Or

Put plants in pots and move into the sun all day. I am retired and home all day so no problem. Digging up plants and replant them 3-4 times a day, problem.

Choice #1: Plant in ground, get 4 hours of sunlight a day.
Choice #2: Plant in pots, move pots into the sun though out the day, get 10-12 hours of sun per day. Bring in to the garage in fall to finish off plants.
Choice #3: buy weed

This is why some people use pots - best option available! At least 1 person on the site has to grow on a balcony, again pots is the better choice!

Wish: Plant in ground, get at least 8 hours sunlight a day! :) As my grandfather used to say about wishes, "Wish in one hand, shit in the other hand, and tell me which hand fills up quicker"! Wise man, my grandfather! ;)

[Edit: If Markus_in_the_Darkus is growing in the ground and getting good results with limited sunshine maybe I can rethink this but I sure do like lots on sunshine on my plants!]

Longball

Last edited:
you can look on my profile or on my outdoor season thread
i had good result in pot better than in soil
directly in the groud you have to big plant for finish in a short season

I know we like to push the envelope of plants and environment. I just think doing all that moving pots is complicated and not energy efficient.
I’d rather change the plant than change the environment. If you live in areas that are conducive to grow hashish cultivars why not grow them and make awesome hash? If you live in areas to growing primo ganja, then grow ganja cultivars, not hashish cultivars.

And if you don’t live somewhere conducive to either ganja or hash plants than use indoor varieties.

CannaFish said: "And if you don’t live somewhere conducive to either ganja or hash plants than use indoor varieties."

Some people have valid reasons for not growing indoors. Perhaps a tiny apartment and it's an impossibility. Not everyone in the world has your options or opinions.

Sometimes ya just gotta use pots. It may be complicated, it may not be energy effiecient, and it may be your only choice. It's ok to agree to disagree:
riegodef_blog_cdn.jpg

Anyway, back on topic, 7 of my 8 outdoor Early Queens are males. A bit disappointed! Wishing @kushumpeng a happy ending with his Early Queen grow! :)

Longball

Thank you Longball,
All the best to you as well!
Same thing happened to me with my Neville’s haze 1 female out of 10 seeds. Can’t complain though I had also gotten 10 female medman from 11 seeds.
The reason I chose to use pots was to try a new soil mix outdoors as well as the possibility of finishing them of indoors in need be. Two of girls are in 15 gallon pots and Q3 is in a 10 gallon and dry out every two days. I have a Strawberry AK47, and Mighty Grape that are in the ground because I’ve had them around for awhile and know when they finish.

Hello kushumpeg!

Thank you! Of all the M/F seeds planted this year we did end up with about a 50/50 mix of M to F! I have some Early Queen seeds left for next year so maybe then I will get 7 of 8 females! I live in upstate New York so I will keep in mind that Strawberry AK47 and Mighty Grape can finish on time here! Thank you for the tip!

Your plants are very beautiful and I am wishing you good weather the rest of the way. I would love to see how nice they look at the end! :)

Longball

Back