don't fear Acetone extraction

slabsofdank

2021 COE Winner
I know it sounds like some dangerous chemical. No water to deal with and safe if used appropriately. All you taste are the terpenes and cannabinoids.

Why Acetone is a Good Solvent for Extraction

Acetone is a naturally occurring, organic, non-toxic solvent that in small amounts is actually not poisonous if consumed. If you are extracting THC to produce products that will be consumed or inhaled, an organic, non-toxic solvent like acetone is a great option for extraction.
Acetone evaporates very quickly and has a low boiling point. So whether you purge your solvent in open air through evaporation, or use a hot plate to boil the liquid out, acetone can be used in either adaptation, and get the job done fast.
In addition to being organic, non-toxic, and having the ability to purge quickly, acetone is also a very cost effective solvent. Acetone is simply cheaper than butane and other solvents traditionally used in extraction, making acetone a no brainer if you are trying to decide what solvent to use.

THC extraction is a process where the THC component of the cannabis plant is extracted to be used in the production of various THC products. While products such as butane or alcohol are sometimes used in this process, you can also use acetone for THC extraction. Like other methods of extraction where a solvent is used to extract THC, you simply soak the cannabis plant in acetone, run the liquid through a coffee strainer, and then allow the acetone to evaporate. The resin that is left behind is THC and should sit for 24 hours after extraction before use. Once the acetone is evaporated, and the byproduct has sat for 24 hours, the THC can now be used as is, or in the production of other THC products.

Eco Link | Can You Use Acetone for THC Extraction? - Cannabis Processing

I use pentane and it's THE BEST in my opinion. Either straight pulls or cleaning up ethanol extractions. But I'm actually moving away from extractions using evaporative solvents.

My problems with acetone are how fast it pulls chlorophyll and other impurities, and it eats O-rings and everything meant to seal containers.

That's good to know @PlantManBee but not sure I've seen pentane for sale. Acetone is in almost every hardware store and most auto part shops. And you don't need to be 21 or carded to buy it. I guess if you are distilling or worrying about pumps and o-rings there may be better options.

When I do an acetone wash, I just watch for the color to develop to a light honey or cream in a glass jar. All you want to do is dissolve the glandular trichomes from the exterior of the plant. If you see green or black it went too long. Still usable but now full of chlorophylls and other organic decay. I like the golden stuff a few hours produces. I don't even bother with squeezing the chlorophyl out of the scraps.

A big pyrex dish full of that will keep you happy for a long time.

I know it sounds like some dangerous chemical. No water to deal with and safe if used appropriately. All you taste are the terpenes and cannabinoids.

Why Acetone is a Good Solvent for Extraction

Acetone is a naturally occurring, organic, non-toxic solvent that in small amounts is actually not poisonous if consumed. If you are extracting THC to produce products that will be consumed or inhaled, an organic, non-toxic solvent like acetone is a great option for extraction.
Acetone evaporates very quickly and has a low boiling point. So whether you purge your solvent in open air through evaporation, or use a hot plate to boil the liquid out, acetone can be used in either adaptation, and get the job done fast.
In addition to being organic, non-toxic, and having the ability to purge quickly, acetone is also a very cost effective solvent. Acetone is simply cheaper than butane and other solvents traditionally used in extraction, making acetone a no brainer if you are trying to decide what solvent to use.

THC extraction is a process where the THC component of the cannabis plant is extracted to be used in the production of various THC products. While products such as butane or alcohol are sometimes used in this process, you can also use acetone for THC extraction. Like other methods of extraction where a solvent is used to extract THC, you simply soak the cannabis plant in acetone, run the liquid through a coffee strainer, and then allow the acetone to evaporate. The resin that is left behind is THC and should sit for 24 hours after extraction before use. Once the acetone is evaporated, and the byproduct has sat for 24 hours, the THC can now be used as is, or in the production of other THC products.

Eco Link | Can You Use Acetone for THC Extraction? - Cannabis Processing
OK... But YOU try first 😋

I remember Rick Simpson or skunkpharms mentioning all of the possible vehicles. Hex and pent being used.

🤙Mu

I remember Rick Simpson or skunkpharms mentioning all of the possible vehicles. Hex and pent being used.

🤙Mu
Hi Mu,

Honestly I feel very inconfortable with Rick Simpson claims.... Everything he said is based on "testimony" not on scientific records, double blind test and so....
But I disgres... The subject here is what kind of solvent is safe to use.

Just remember it is a solvent. You aren't doing absorption like alcohol that takes time to molecularly adhere to the resins.

Try Methylene chloride
Works a treat, much better than acetone, alcohol, iso, whatever.
Only thing better is ether and you can't get it since it's now a controlled chemical.
They used to use ether for cocaine extraction (remember how it used to smell?) so thats why they limited access to it.

Yeah, residual chemicals that aren't part of the plant kind of takes away from the glorious plant.

I talked with several chemists before I settled on Pentane. Drying the resultant oil in a wide Pyrex, rewetting with everclear and drying again forces off any Pentane molecules. I do it twice for good measure.

Hey guys! Interesting to hear how everyone goes about making RSO.

I've been making it for about 20 years now using ethanol in a soxhlation process.

I originally used to just load the dried cannabis charge straight into the extractor, but a few years ago I started cooking the charge at a low temp. (60 - 80c) for 35 - 50 minutes.

The extracted oil then comes out with a deep golden brown colour, and anecdotally it's being reported as more easily digested, less harsh on the guts than the green goo.

Hi Everyone,

I found this discussion via google. I recently did an Acetone extraction and it works fine. I'm here to share the way I make RSO at home. This past Feb I published a couple simple changes to the original RSO recipe that doubles the potency. I did this by adding distilled water to the boiler and later doing a 'Rapid Winterization'. Here's the youtube video where I take 2oz hemp and make near distillate quality oil that is decarbed, winterized in under 2 hours total time. Oh, and it can be vaped..

Let me know what you think. Feel free to pass this on. Its all free, nothing for sale. This is my 'Pay-it-Forward' to help MMJ patients at home.

Back