don't fear Acetone extraction

Hi Oznugs,
The video puts all the comments between the introduction and the actuall video. I purposely laid it out this way so you get the whole summary up front, then you can watch the video at your leisure. On the home page, next to the video, is the RxCE Quick Start Guide which takes all those comments and makes an instruction list.

BTW, use Acetone as a last resort. Besides the much lower boiling point and flash point, acetone isn't safe with certain plastics. Isopropyl and Ethanol do much better with plastics. As far as it being toxic, yes, in volume it is a problem (see the above graphic on ISO vs FECO syringes). As I say there, if it trickles down your throat, it's going to hurt you. Don't do that. But at the molecular scale, residual acetone, a ketone, is converted into energy and excess expelled through exhaling and urine. This is why it is safe to use Acetone as finger nail polish remover. The absorbed quantities are safely handled by the body's metabolism. Also, your liver generates acetone when breaking down lipids and Isopropyl. So if you use acetone, limit your exposure and always distill outdoors.
Yes got all that thanks. Will only be following the method using isopropyl and distilled water.
Looking forward to it.. Thanks for the reply.

Why take the chance...i used to know guys cleaning their Amphetamines with Acetone...did Bioethanol extraction few years down the road...not for me.
Why use potentially harmful substances if you can extract with a simple sieve, water and / or dry ice? Who needs this Hippy Crack? Honestly, if you need to get medicated this bad rather make some potent edibles you are much better off. And where in nature does a pure Acetone liquid exist? And if, arent lightnings and lava natural, too? Nature can fuck you up if you dont watch out...just saying...
Drysift, Bubble...Rosin...its all.right there bra...

"And where in nature does a pure Acetone liquid exist?". How about your body? Did you know your liver generates Acetone when it breaks down lipids? Did you know Isopropy Alcohol gets broken down into Acetone? The arguement around which solvent is more damaging to the body flips at the molecular level. Just because you can drink ethanol is low concentrations, doesn't make it safe. 1 cups of 99% Isopropyl and 1.25 cups of 99% ethanol will kill 50% of ppl at 110lbs. So, as I conclude in this illustration, if it trickles down your throat, it's going to hurt you. Don't do that!. But at the molecular level as your liver breaks down these solvents, ethanol converts to a DNA damaging compound; where as Isopropyl and Acetone are 'ketone's used for energy or expelled via exhaling or urine. This still doesn't give license to drink any of them, but it does mean your body safely handles the breakdown and metabolism with residual solvents. It's all out on the net. I suggest discussing this with one of the AI monsters to confirm. All this fear is unwarranted when you actually do the homework.

Oh, why would ppl use Isopropyl or Acetone as a solvent? Turns out these solvents are much more accessible outside the United States than ethanol. Here in the United States, 60% of the population lives in the 17 states that bar sales of 95% ethanol. By engineering the RxCE process with the double reduction, this process has a literal firewall against residual solvents. There are multiple lab tests on the website showing undetectable Residual Solvents.

All that to say, 'there is no taking a chance..' when you understand the molecular metabolic pathways. Once you start looking at that level, there are all sorts of formal medical studies validating this information. Science is way more advanced on this subject than consumer understanding.

Attachments

• Chrt-Isopropyl Safer Than Ethanol 02.jpg
    Chrt-Isopropyl Safer Than Ethanol 02.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 3
i Just prefer things in a natural state and the effects to me change When doing otherwise. Make brownies the old way and it’s much more enjoyable than a gummy. At least for me it is. I also like sautéing a bud in butter then dipping it in honey, chocolate or maple syrup and then put it in the freezer for a bit. Only thing is, it really stinks up the house…

"And where in nature does a pure Acetone liquid exist?". How about your body? Did you know your liver generates Acetone when it breaks down lipids? Did you know Isopropy Alcohol gets broken down into Acetone? The arguement around which solvent is more damaging to the body flips at the molecular level. Just because you can drink ethanol is low concentrations, doesn't make it safe. 1 cups of 99% Isopropyl and 1.25 cups of 99% ethanol will kill 50% of ppl at 110lbs. So, as I conclude in this illustration, if it trickles down your throat, it's going to hurt you. Don't do that!. But at the molecular level as your liver breaks down these solvents, ethanol converts to a DNA damaging compound; where as Isopropyl and Acetone are 'ketone's used for energy or expelled via exhaling or urine. This still doesn't give license to drink any of them, but it does mean your body safely handles the breakdown and metabolism with residual solvents. It's all out on the net. I suggest discussing this with one of the AI monsters to confirm. All this fear is unwarranted when you actually do the homework.

Oh, why would ppl use Isopropyl or Acetone as a solvent? Turns out these solvents are much more accessible outside the United States than ethanol. Here in the United States, 60% of the population lives in the 17 states that bar sales of 95% ethanol. By engineering the RxCE process with the double reduction, this process has a literal firewall against residual solvents. There are multiple lab tests on the website showing undetectable Residual Solvents.

All that to say, 'there is no taking a chance..' when you understand the molecular metabolic pathways. Once you start looking at that level, there are all sorts of formal medical studies validating this information. Science is way more advanced on this subject than consumer understanding.
Problem with Iso is it isnt foodgrade, so it can contain impurities, unless you have a HPLC machine at home to check it.
HPLC grade Iso is just as expensive as 95% foodgrade ethanol.

Problem with Iso is it isnt foodgrade, so it can contain impurities, unless you have a HPLC machine at home to check it.
HPLC grade Iso is just as expensive as 95% foodgrade ethanol.
"Problem with Iso is it isnt foodgrade"..

And it never will be! Only Ethanol has the GRAS rating for consumption. Do you buy ethanol based Camp Fire Fuel or cleaning fluid for extractions? I would venture to say no. Then you wouldn't buy lower grades of other solvents either. Great news for consumers! There is a grading system for all alcohols for the various grades of Ethanol as well as every other alcohol. USP/NF and higher grades guarrantee purity. This includes guaranteeing no contaminates from the manufacturing process which could happen with Technical Grade products on retail shelves such as pharmacies, grocery stores, etc.
https://www.labmanager.com/the-seven-most-common-grades-for-chemicals-and-reagents-2655

The USP/NF medical grade Isopropyl is less than half the costs of Ethanol here in Oregon. A gallon of 190 proof Everclear at the liqueur store is $84us whereas the USP/NF version of ISO is ~$32 on Amazon. Here's 4 gallons for $99us so you get almost 4x for the cost of one gallon of Everclear.
https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-IPA-Concentrated/dp/B08R138211/

This is why the State of Colorado, Oregon and others explicitly allow Isopropyl to be used in Cannnabis extractions. For more info, check out..
https://www.cannabishomesciences.com/documentation/isopropyl-alcohol-controversy

What I saw what is sold on Amazon is USP/NF 99% purity.For extraction you should need at least 99.9% purity and hplc tested, otherwise it's a no-no imo.During the time I worked at the lab, we used solvents 99.9% purity, but before we did the testing with the GC, we run with the solvent first if it container any impurities.

I can get 96.2% grain alcohol for €35/ liter, which is for Dutch standard a low price.The liquor store has a license to produce their own alcohol & sell it in the shop.

such ethanol contains far more organic impurities than technical grade acetone or IPA, even if triple filtered through activated carbon before and/or after fractionation. if you find an analysis for such IPA or acetone, you will see that the difference between 91, 99, and 99.9% purity is water.

there are a few ways to purify acetone with inorganic salts and distillation, if it's really important. modern processes of acetone manufacture renders this a moot point.

personally i'd go with the low boiling petroleum ethers (mostly pentanes)...don't fear these either, except the flammability.

such ethanol contains far more organic impurities than technical grade acetone or IPA, even if triple filtered through activated carbon before and/or after fractionation. if you find an analysis for such IPA or acetone, you will see that the difference between 91, 99, and 99.9% purity is water.

there are a few ways to purify acetone with inorganic salts and distillation, if it's really important. modern processes of acetone manufacture renders this a moot point.

personally i'd go with the low boiling petroleum ethers (mostly pentanes)...don't fear these either, except the flammability.
I don't think you will find impurities in 96.2% alcohol when it is 5 times distilled.
A hardware store isnt the right place to buy your solvents for extraction, even when the label says it's 99% purity.

who is distilling 5x, and more importantly, who is fractionating 5x...asks someone who has spent a lot of time doing many fractionations of many things (including all the lower alcohols) with real labware and solid technique.

fermentation ethanol contains all kinds of garbage, much of which is not at all easily removed by distillation, especially when looking at ppm scale.

Profiling of Organic Compounds in Bioethanol Samples of Different Nature and the Related Fractions
(the Everclear of the USA is very ordinary commercial bioethanol)

Chemical Analysis of Impurities in Diverse Bioethanol Samples

there is nothing irrational about buying chemicals from the hardware store when they cost much much less than ACS grade from a chemical retailer and have better minimum purity...yes this happens.

The forum user @CHSAdmin statements about using acetone for cannabis extraction raises several points, and it's important to provide a balanced perspective on the topic:

Acetone as a Solvent: The user highlights acetone as a good solvent for THC extraction, emphasizing that it is naturally occurring, organic, non-toxic in small amounts, and can evaporate quickly. While some of these statements are accurate, it's essential to remember that acetone is still a volatile and flammable substance that can be hazardous if not handled properly. It's crucial to follow safety protocols, including proper ventilation and fire prevention measures.

Purity and Safety: The statement mentions that acetone is non-toxic if consumed in small amounts. However, the key concern with using acetone for extraction is not its toxicity but rather ensuring that no residual acetone is left in the final THC product. Even trace amounts of residual solvents can be harmful when ingested or inhaled. Proper purging and testing are essential to verify the absence of residual solvents.

Cost-Effectiveness: The user notes that acetone is cost-effective compared to other solvents like butane. While cost-effectiveness is an important consideration, it should not be the sole determining factor when choosing a solvent for cannabis extraction. Safety, product quality, and regulatory compliance should also weigh heavily in the decision-making process.

Extraction Process: The user provides a brief overview of the extraction process using acetone, which involves soaking the cannabis plant, straining the liquid, and allowing the acetone to evaporate. This process is a simplified representation, and there are specific techniques and equipment used in professional cannabis extraction to ensure safety, consistency, and quality.

Terpene and Cannabinoid Preservation: The statement does not mention the potential impact of acetone on the preservation of terpenes and cannabinoids, which can be a critical factor for consumers who value the flavor and aroma profile of cannabis extracts.

In summary, while acetone can be used for THC extraction, it should be approached with caution and an emphasis on safety, purity, and product quality. The choice of solvent should align with local regulations, and best practices in extraction should be followed to minimize risks and produce high-quality, safe cannabis extracts. It's also important to consider alternative solventless extraction methods and evaluate their suitability for specific extraction goals and products.

Solventless cannabis extractions offers several benefits, including:

Purity: Solventless methods do not involve the use of any chemical solvents, ensuring a pure and natural end product without any residual solvents.

Safety: Since no solvents are used, there is no risk of chemical contamination or potential health hazards associated with solvent use.

Terpene preservation: Solventless extraction methods often result in better preservation of the natural terpenes found in cannabis, leading to enhanced flavor and aroma profiles.

Environmental friendliness: Solventless extraction techniques are more environmentally friendly as they eliminate the need for chemical solvents and reduce the overall carbon footprint.

Accessibility: Solventless methods can be more accessible to individuals who prefer to avoid the use of solvents or have limited access to specialized equipment.

Consistency and Reproducibility: Solventless methods can offer greater consistency in product quality and cannabinoid content, as they are less dependent on variables like solvent quality and evaporation processes. This consistency is essential for producers aiming to create reliable and predictable products.

Consumer Preference: Many consumers prefer solventless extracts for their perceived purity, taste, and overall experience. Meeting consumer preferences can be a significant advantage in the competitive cannabis market.

Pretty much my viewpoint.

AI saved some terps/lives today...

The forum user @CHSAdmin statements about using acetone for cannabis extraction raises several points, and it's important to provide a balanced perspective on the topic:

Acetone as a Solvent: The user highlights acetone as a good solvent for THC extraction, emphasizing that it is naturally occurring, organic, non-toxic in small amounts, and can evaporate quickly. While some of these statements are accurate, it's essential to remember that acetone is still a volatile and flammable substance that can be hazardous if not handled properly. It's crucial to follow safety protocols, including proper ventilation and fire prevention measures.

Purity and Safety: The statement mentions that acetone is non-toxic if consumed in small amounts. However, the key concern with using acetone for extraction is not its toxicity but rather ensuring that no residual acetone is left in the final THC product. Even trace amounts of residual solvents can be harmful when ingested or inhaled. Proper purging and testing are essential to verify the absence of residual solvents.

Cost-Effectiveness: The user notes that acetone is cost-effective compared to other solvents like butane. While cost-effectiveness is an important consideration, it should not be the sole determining factor when choosing a solvent for cannabis extraction. Safety, product quality, and regulatory compliance should also weigh heavily in the decision-making process.

Extraction Process: The user provides a brief overview of the extraction process using acetone, which involves soaking the cannabis plant, straining the liquid, and allowing the acetone to evaporate. This process is a simplified representation, and there are specific techniques and equipment used in professional cannabis extraction to ensure safety, consistency, and quality.

Terpene and Cannabinoid Preservation: The statement does not mention the potential impact of acetone on the preservation of terpenes and cannabinoids, which can be a critical factor for consumers who value the flavor and aroma profile of cannabis extracts.

In summary, while acetone can be used for THC extraction, it should be approached with caution and an emphasis on safety, purity, and product quality. The choice of solvent should align with local regulations, and best practices in extraction should be followed to minimize risks and produce high-quality, safe cannabis extracts. It's also important to consider alternative solventless extraction methods and evaluate their suitability for specific extraction goals and products.

Solventless cannabis extractions offers several benefits, including:

Purity: Solventless methods do not involve the use of any chemical solvents, ensuring a pure and natural end product without any residual solvents.

Safety: Since no solvents are used, there is no risk of chemical contamination or potential health hazards associated with solvent use.

Terpene preservation: Solventless extraction methods often result in better preservation of the natural terpenes found in cannabis, leading to enhanced flavor and aroma profiles.

Environmental friendliness: Solventless extraction techniques are more environmentally friendly as they eliminate the need for chemical solvents and reduce the overall carbon footprint.

Accessibility: Solventless methods can be more accessible to individuals who prefer to avoid the use of solvents or have limited access to specialized equipment.

Consistency and Reproducibility: Solventless methods can offer greater consistency in product quality and cannabinoid content, as they are less dependent on variables like solvent quality and evaporation processes. This consistency is essential for producers aiming to create reliable and predictable products.

Consumer Preference: Many consumers prefer solventless extracts for their perceived purity, taste, and overall experience. Meeting consumer preferences can be a significant advantage in the competitive cannabis market.
Awesome! Which AI Monster did this come from? My fav of the week is Claude.AI.

Funny thing I used ChatGPT to rewrite my paragraphs on the first published version of RxCE.

The monster nailed it. Solvent Remediation is most important as you understand. Having a double reduction then decarbing at the end of the process is very robust when it comes to evaporating these solvents. Remember, the boiling temps of these solvents is 80 degrees lower than the target decarb temp of 250f. Any solvents remaining will be the very small residuals that bond directly to the oils, in the PPM or lower ranges. This is the range that your body can easily handle.

Attachments

• Chrt-Where The Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak.jpg
    Chrt-Where The Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 2
don't count on decarboxylation to remove residuals, unless stirred for a long time; preferably with vacuum. otherwise, viscosity and low surface area present barriers to volatilization. these conditions evaporate terpenes and some of the etc. crapola from the plant matter just as well.

i'm not aware of any solventless extract...i wouldn't call rosin an extract really...extract pretty much implies solvent. if solventless concentrate is so popular then where's all the dry sift (imho the legal space should just be bhang, ganja, and hashish like it always has been).

don't count on decarboxylation to remove residuals, unless stirred for a long time; preferably with vacuum. otherwise, viscosity and low surface area present barriers to volatilization. these conditions evaporate terpenes and some of the etc. crapola from the plant matter just as well.

i'm not aware of any solventless extract...i wouldn't call rosin an extract really...extract pretty much implies solvent. if solventless concentrate is so popular then where's all the dry sift (imho the legal space should just be bhang, ganja, and hashish like it always has been).
Here Bro
Below is not even real Dry its just Semi (1grade below) but still just your thumb or a budder knife will break it apart @roomtemp easily without effort and its full of terps...

SemiDry2_1.pngSemiDry1.png

Not even sifted but still fire dry

Nosift.png

If the homegrower sifts or makes bubble most of his dry/bubble will be consumed very quick simply because it is such a great product. Even from a not so good run the hash can be a great product. The rest usually gets crazy proces around the neighbourhood but still goes in no time.
The there is also a lot of guys doing it and have *flex*able products. And since Frenchi Cannoli everybody has seen there is way more to hash production.
Commercially weurope still works with quantities and also qualities of sifted material from south europe up to north africa.
To each oke his own but using solvents is just not neccessary at all and i dont think it does anything better that a fine mesh and some water and ice if you wanna get funky...

Well, it is a simple and a less expensive way to process into a fine, condensed smoke. Arguably a solvent but the least harmful one that does not need secondary processes to clean it up. All you need is a heat press to render an excellent unadulterated product.

mu

Well, it is a simple and a less expensive way to process into a fine, condensed smoke. Arguably a solvent but the least harmful one that does not need secondary processes to clean it up. All you need is a heat press to render an excellent unadulterated product.

mu
And i think water aka bubble aka ice o lator hash proceess brings a mild cleaning to the product if you rinse softly and exchange water between runs. All those little dust particles will be diluted in the water and separated from the resin glands. I dried some fresh frozen live bubble hash on the heating in winter over night on the drymesh and after scraping off the dried resin and compressing by hand the shatter like flakey resin ball was like a litle Purpur Bernstein...so there are many possibilities to explore without crazy equipment.

I have 4 lab tests that show no residual solvents after the 2nd reduction. This was even before I moved decarbing to follow the 2nd reduction. Even if the viscocity is high, the bubbling of the vaporized water and bubbling of C02 allow any trapped lower boiling point vapors to exit. It works well enough to pass every test. The only residuals left once decarbing is done, is bonded to the oil in the PPM or PPT levels, far below regulations and well within body tolerances at the molecular level.

Acetone is about the safest solvent to use and it evaporates at room temperature.
It leaves no residue after it evaporates.Its used for many things including rinsing glassware right before a chemical procedure.It guarantees the glassware is free of residue and dust.

I tried two different methods using acetone which was an ice cold extraction and another at room temperature.I put flowers and acetone in a freezer for 3-5 days.

I put material in a glass jar and put enough acetone to fully cover the flowers on both methods.
Shook violently for 15 seconds and then strained acetone through a filter.

Placed captured acetone in a Pyrex dish and placed it in a drawer until it evaporated.

Results of the room temperature was not very good.
Green in color,oily and had some harshness to it.

Results using frozen flowers and acetone turned out better than expected.Same method but I only shook for 5 seconds.
The extract was not oily or green but a honey color brown.
Smokes good and has same aroma and flavor as the flowers.

Here’s a picture of the extract
IMG_0229.jpeg

Here Bro
Below is not even real Dry its just Semi (1grade below) but still just your thumb or a budder knife will break it apart @roomtemp easily without effort and its full of terps...

View attachment 75794View attachment 75795

Not even sifted but still fire dry

When you say one grade below are you referring to the screen size?

View attachment 75796

If the homegrower sifts or makes bubble most of his dry/bubble will be consumed very quick simply because it is such a great product. Even from a not so good run the hash can be a great product. The rest usually gets crazy proces around the neighbourhood but still goes in no time.
The there is also a lot of guys doing it and have *flex*able products. And since Frenchi Cannoli everybody has seen there is way more to hash production.
Commercially weurope still works with quantities and also qualities of sifted material from south europe up to north africa.
To each oke his own but using solvents is just not neccessary at all and i dont think it does anything better that a fine mesh and some water and ice if you wanna get funky...

Back