DIY trimpro

Alaska

Hey all, posted this at another forum recently, and thought I would share it here.

I recently came into the need to have some help trimming, not so much from an excess of herb, but from a lack of time, and no way can justify spending $1300 or so for a trimpro, so here goes...

Pics might not be in order, the correct order, but you get the idea.

Well, just wanted to let you all know I am in the middle of using my HOMEMADE TRIMPRO, and it ROCKS!!!

I got a friend of mine to build it for me. I will get pics up eventually, but have to borrow a camera first.

The basic jist is a knock off trimpro. There is a bathroom vent fan($60) which has had the blades reversed so it sucks instead of blows, lol. The impeller drive shaft was filed down to allow flush mounting of the blade. The blade is a metal ruler that has had the appropriate edges sharpened on a bench grinder, then hand filed for final edge.

The fan/blade combo is mounted to a 2x4 frame, with similar dimensions to the trimpro.

The grill is a very very thin piece of sheet metal. The openings were made with a circular saw for the long cut, and I will have to check about the short edge, don't remember what he said about that.

The grill fastens onto the frame w/screws for easy removal for blade/grill cleaning, and there is also a piece of plywood that covers the grill to protect it when not in use.

I'll get some pics up, but it CAN be done, and for less than $100 if you already have a bench grinder and some files, a drill, and a tap and dye set.

Now, I'm off to do these other few plants. Spent 4 hrs trimming today before I got the machine, now w/the machine I have done 3x as much in two hours, so thats a 6x increase in productivity and I am still learning how to use the thing, lol

The first few pics will have the grill guard attached.

Be safe, and don't hesitate to ask questions!

A

Attachments

• trimmer with cover 2 (Large).JPG
    trimmer with cover 2 (Large).JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 731
  • trimmer with cover1 (Large).JPG
    trimmer with cover1 (Large).JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 33
  • trimmer side view (Large).JPG
    trimmer side view (Large).JPG
    15 KB · Views: 44
  • Trimmer no cover (Large).JPG
    Trimmer no cover (Large).JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Trimmer bag shot (Large).JPG
    Trimmer bag shot (Large).JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 31
  • side view no grill (Large).JPG
    side view no grill (Large).JPG
    16 KB · Views: 47
more..........

Attachments

• side view no grill (Large).JPG
    side view no grill (Large).JPG
    16 KB · Views: 50
  • side view2 (Large).JPG
    side view2 (Large).JPG
    15 KB · Views: 11
  • grill close 2 (Large).JPG
    grill close 2 (Large).JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 15
  • grill close 1 (Large).JPG
    grill close 1 (Large).JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 10
  • grill6 (Large).JPG
    grill6 (Large).JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 13
  • grill5 (Large).JPG
    grill5 (Large).JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 15
even more.......

Attachments

• grill4 (Large).JPG
    grill4 (Large).JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 11
  • grill3 (Large).JPG
    grill3 (Large).JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 8
  • grill2 (Large).JPG
    grill2 (Large).JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • grill1 (Large).JPG
    grill1 (Large).JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 12
  • fanblade 2 (Large).JPG
    fanblade 2 (Large).JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 30
  • fanblade1 (Large).JPG
    fanblade1 (Large).JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 19
yet even more....

Attachments

• fan close 1 (Large).JPG
    fan close 1 (Large).JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 19
  • fan1 (Large).JPG
    fan1 (Large).JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 18
  • blade 7 (Large).JPG
    blade 7 (Large).JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 14
  • blade 6 (Large).JPG
    blade 6 (Large).JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 8
  • blade 4 (Large).JPG
    blade 4 (Large).JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 16
  • blade 3 (Large).JPG
    blade 3 (Large).JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 21
  • blade 1 (Large).JPG
    blade 1 (Large).JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 24
  • bud 1 (Large).JPG
    bud 1 (Large).JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 39
Heres a couple posts from the other thread of mine pertaining to purchasing the parts and maintenence.

Hey all, I forgot to mention that the blade needs to be sharpened on opposite sides, half way up, due to the rotation. Look at the resin buildup on the blade and you will see what I mean.

Also, I forgot to mention, the fan is temperature controlled(it came that way). The controller is the small box you see attached to one of the legs. We just turned the on temp. down to 50 degrees, and it stays on all the time at temps warmer than that(like the temps in my grow room). It(temp controller) could easily be cut off and a standard plug added to make it always on regardless of temperature.

Ok all, went to the hardware today and got some part numbers for ya.

Officially, the fan used is a "Whispercool Gable mount power attic ventilator" @ Low es its Item # 62506 and model # WCGB

Be safe and hth

A

Hey all, posted this at another forum recently, and thought I would share it here.

I recently came into the need to have some help trimming, not so much from an excess of herb, but from a lack of time, and no way can justify spending $1300 or so for a trimpro, so here goes...

Pics might not be in order, the correct order, but you get the idea.

Well, just wanted to let you all know I am in the middle of using my HOMEMADE TRIMPRO, and it ROCKS!!!

I got a friend of mine to build it for me. I will get pics up eventually, but have to borrow a camera first.

The basic jist is a knock off trimpro. There is a bathroom vent fan($60) which has had the blades reversed so it sucks instead of blows, lol. The impeller drive shaft was filed down to allow flush mounting of the blade. The blade is a metal ruler that has had the appropriate edges sharpened on a bench grinder, then hand filed for final edge.

The fan/blade combo is mounted to a 2x4 frame, with similar dimensions to the trimpro.

The grill is a very very thin piece of sheet metal. The openings were made with a circular saw for the long cut, and I will have to check about the short edge, don't remember what he said about that.

The grill fastens onto the frame w/screws for easy removal for blade/grill cleaning, and there is also a piece of plywood that covers the grill to protect it when not in use.

I'll get some pics up, but it CAN be done, and for less than $100 if you already have a bench grinder and some files, a drill, and a tap and dye set.

Now, I'm off to do these other few plants. Spent 4 hrs trimming today before I got the machine, now w/the machine I have done 3x as much in two hours, so thats a 6x increase in productivity and I am still learning how to use the thing, lol

The first few pics will have the grill guard attached.

Be safe, and don't hesitate to ask questions!

A

We had to cut few trees near my house because their branches covered up almost all the light coming from the windows. I'm not a big fan of doing something like that, because I believe even plants have feelings, but it was such a huge problem for us. Even during the day time, we felt like it was a night. But my husband finds a good saw at https://allaboutsaws.com/best-circular-saw/ and it seemed to be painless for the trees because the cut was very neat. So I believe the marriage of good saw and good technique of cutting works wonders!

That is probably the weirdest first post I've ever seen.

I hope you're not a spammer cause I'd love to see some other ancient threads bumped with loosely associated stories.

Stay hazed
Jake

There’s a video on YouTube and the guy puts buds in a 5 gallon buckets with some type of bag insert then swirls the bucket and the buds are trimmed up.
The name of video is bucketbuddy trimmer.

Back