CM first time grow

Hi Nice!

Looking good - love that random budshot.

Here's a quick update on my side.

Day 45 flowering - still maybe 2 (not 3) weeks to go I think.
gr%F8nn-albums-cm-perpetual-picture6147-picture-049.jpg

Here's one of the room with the next generation in front. 21 days flowering.
gr%F8nn-albums-cm-perpetual-picture6146-picture-045.jpg

How long till you cut? Bet those scissor fingers are itching :p

Last edited:
Hi Nice!

Looking good - love that random budshot.

Here's a quick update on my side.

Day 45 flowering - still maybe 3 weeks to go I think.
gr%F8nn-albums-cm-perpetual-picture6147-picture-049.jpg

Here's one of the room with the next generation in front. 21 days flowering.

How long till you cut? Bet those scissor fingers are itching :p

hey mate! your plants look like CM should, with that huge cola in the middle. mine looks like she was trying to run away and spread out all over the place lol. no cola for me :/

i'm prolly gonna cut her monday or if it doesn't look ready by then, definitely later in the week. but she smells like a smooth fruity smell with a strong smell of cat-piss haha. smells like love to me, though!

best of luck, gronn, you're the pro here, not me! lol

lol you'll be a pro soon enough as long as you improve a little every cycle and keep on growing.

I think if in the future you want your plant to produce more of a single cola then all you need to do is trim of most of the lower branches. This will force the plant to focus it's energy on the main cola.

But that being said I'm super impressed by how dense the lower buds are on this critical mass, and I'd rather have a cupboard full of smaller buds than just one top bud ;) smokes the same.

Hear you on the smell - super fruity fruity.

You might want to consider harvesting in stages - take the top of the plant first and then let the lower branches get a week in the sun to bulk up.

Anyways I think congratulations on a successfull grow are in order :D

Thanks, Gronn!

JJ, so I cut her down the day before yesterday. She was looking pretty good and the snippers I picked up from the store were itching to be used lol. I strung up all the branches, and they are being dried, day two, now. I do have to admit, the stack of branches and buds looked a whole lot bigger than what I thought it would be!

The clone of that one is already 12" high, she will be put in flower tomorrow because I don't want a meter wide plant haha. I didn't get a huge main cola, but it was definitely the biggest bud. Maybe she will be a winner, who knows. She is a whole lot more dense in leaf growth, probably double the mother's density and double the broadness of the fan-leaves. It's really impressing. The root mass has formed so fast! It's pretty big, I will update that with pics later.

But, don't think I forgot, I took pics of the cutting process and have pics of them all stacked, then hanging up. Very tiring work, actually! I didn't weigh it wet, but I'm really praying for some good weight. How much has anyone else got (dry weight) from one CM plant?

p.s. my closet is almost done being painted white, so no more mirrors or uneven lighting, plus no more things blocking the fan. PICS SOON

Hello Nice, great grow thread mate. I have to get around more I'm missing out on too much here at MNS.

Gronn, props on the CM's dude. lovely!

GMT. Tks for the proxy link. When I get my act together (& a computer that works proerly) I will use that.

thanks mate! first time. have you grown CM?

Halfway done trimming the branches and buds! Hard work... and sticky!
Trimming_P1_half_way.jpg

here it is all strung up. it doesn't look like much, but i took it with my phone and from one side of the closet so the furthest buds look smallest, but they are the biggest ones.
Hanging_P1.jpg

--------------------------------!!CLONE UPDATE!!------------------------------

Here is the clones about a week and half or two weeks ago
Clone_4.jpg

Here is the clone today (very happy with my first cloning ever!)
Also, it is in the flower room, starting today. I don't want a meter wide and almost meter tall plant taking over again haha.
Clone_day_1_flower.jpg

Here's the clone measurement. 13" at the top, bad angle
Measurement_-_Clone_day_1_flower.jpg

Here is a shot of the clone in the freshly painted, flat white flowering room. no more mirrors or poster boards! This will be much easier to work with since the space is opened up! Not to mention the white walls will give the plant soooo much more light!
Clone_in_flower_room_day_1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't weigh the harvest wet, but it was a lot more than I expected. Any estimates on dry weight?

Thank you guys so much for the help and for paying attention to my grow log. I hope this thread helps new growers. I made it because I couldn't find a step by step grow on the CM that was regularly updated with pics so I could compare my growth to, so hopefully this will help someone in the situation I was in!

Last edited:
P.S.

Just wanted to note, if you look at my CM gallery, look at Plant 1 (P1, the one I harvested just now) notice how at the same height, the density of the leaves were far less and node size was much more spaced out. This clone has exploded in a short time with tonsss of leaves that are much broader than the mother!

Here was the mother at 30 days from seed.
IMG00117-20110527-1344.jpg

and here is the clone at 13", different angle, but I assure you, same height as the above picture of the mother.
Clone_day_1_flower.jpg

heyhey.

most of what u speak of is the fact that, especially at that size, seedplants and clones will never have the same growth structure.. this is because the seedplant is still a an immature seedling. seedlings will have a noticeble strecthed growth seeking a sun and survival.. also, branchin at this point is minimal. clones on the other hand are either from fully mature plants, or, semi...

welcome to the recurring nightmare that is manicuring! u will get better at it! and there are various approaches one can take.. but this brings us to the new batch of curriculum!! u seem hooked, awesome!

-one main gardening practice which u should start to look into is called 'lollipoping'. this is basically the stripping/ removal of smaller/weak buddsites and wispy branches on the lower section of your plant. the plant will then focus it's energy on budsites that you determine worthy. ..so no more mountains of small, fluffy, leafy, finnicky, inconsequential buddlets to go thru manicuring till yer blind. once mastered and put into practice, it means that 99% of the buds u harvest will b buds you can b proud of. this pruning of weaker growth is done maybe 3-4 times in a crops cycle. .. but u know how the big, dense buds are actually fun to trim, whereas the fuff is an absolute pain with little satisfation well say goodbye to that!

-start lookin out for this 'lollipoping' in the pics round the boards, plenty of skilled lollipopers round here! in photos, it's most noticible on small, 'sea of green' type grows.

-next, start to learn that you are in control of shaping your plant to get a desired result. for example, big colas, or maxing yield. this mainly involves the pruning of branches (big colas), or the bending and tying down of branches (maxxing yeild).

hope you like school, cause this hobby's schooling doesn't end!!!!

-yield.. under a 600watt light u should aim for about a pound of manicured bud....

cheers nice, and congrats on freeing yourself for the dependance on others for your bud. it's a good feeling and i for one could never go back!!! , ,, ,jhappinessj

WTF!? Are you telling me that this is the first time that you have grown cannabis indoors or at all? Surely just indoors? Not CM mate. Wasted my time growing strains that were not worth growing. No longer. I'm growing HMxBB now, and I have SSH & Nordle in the fridge. Nev's is next on my purchase list. I have not been serious about growing (or life) but MNS has changed all that. So much so, I have just hit up the old man for a loan so I can convert my bedroom into a serious grow room.

jj, gronn, Shanti, et al...I'm now paying very close attention. Tks for helping us newbs :)

I hate to break it to you, but until this grow, I've never dropped a seed in so much as a bucket of dirt in my life lol. I'm a science student (mainly human physiology and chemistry) but have had many courses in university that touch on plants and the sort, but nothing too far in-depth. But, that being said, Science tends to come naturally to me, which to many people I know seems weird because I kind of look like a retarded jock that would ride a crotch-rocket. I spent about a month scouring the internet and figuring out what I need and techniques for growing, but I had never once lifted a finger and done any of it. I really have no idea why, on my first grow, I would choose to do hydroponics, (when everyone always tells beginners to do soil) but, alas, I did.

I had the support of these great guys in the forum, but I don't know a single person physically that I could have asked for help from in my area, so I went it alone. It was very frustrating at first, but now it seems I have it down. Still much to learn, and keep learning (i hear you jj lol). But, yes, this was my first grow of any type of plant in any medium in my life. I got extremely lucky, and at the same time used the internet's wealth of knowledge, along with jj, gronn, and dawn's knowledge haha.

It was a huge learning experience!

haha..

that reminds me of a vid clip i downloaded off youtube where the guys from DNA genetics were giving a talk. when it came to grow advice, this was the response," we get sick of people tellin us what we're doing wrong! and so just do what ur doin, and if u have a problem, adjust it, and uh, ya nah- work it out! i mean just trial and error, everythin- you gotta kill a whole room a bunch of times from a bunch of different things brfore u figure it out, man.. no one just knows how to grow weed, u know, u gotta burn your plants, u gotta lock em up, u gotta over water, u gotta under water- u gotta do everything, man! spidermites, mold- everything! ..and once u lose it, u won't do it again-- IF YOU'RE A SCIENTIST, CAUSE THAT'S WHAT U ALL ARE- U GROW WEED!...

I knew u were a student, thus i took the time to answer whatever, bud! i gotta jet, but i'll post with regards to yield technique.. till then, here's some keywords... bending. tying down, sog, scrog!! cheers bud! once again, kudos!! . ... .jj

haha..

that reminds me of a vid clip i downloaded off youtube where the guys from DNA genetics were giving a talk. when it came to grow advice, this was the response," we get sick of people tellin us what we're doing wrong! and so just do what ur doin, and if u have a problem, adjust it, and uh, ya nah- work it out! i mean just trial and error, everythin- you gotta kill a whole room a bunch of times from a bunch of different things brfore u figure it out, man.. no one just knows how to grow weed, u know, u gotta burn your plants, u gotta lock em up, u gotta over water, u gotta under water- u gotta do everything, man! spidermites, mold- everything! ..and once u lose it, u won't do it again-- IF YOU'RE A SCIENTIST, CAUSE THAT'S WHAT U ALL ARE- U GROW WEED!...

I knew u were a student, thus i took the time to answer whatever, bud! i gotta jet, but i'll post with regards to yield technique.. till then, here's some keywords... bending. tying down, sog, scrog!! cheers bud! once again, kudos!! . ... .jj

thanks mate!

sorry it took me so long to respond.

that is true, the more I learn about marijuana, the more I find out I don't know and want to learn. it's definitely a science, the only thing holding back its rapid progression is prohibition, which either severely limits the number of people who can practice the science and the ability to share and combine experiences and knowledge of marijuana between breeders; though the internet allows for some flow of information, there's always the risk of getting tracked down over the net.

maybe one day the governments of the world will catch up with the people and finally end the pointless war. until then, we all will keep on keepin' on!

peace, love, and fuzzy slippers!

-nice-

yield results

Alright guys, here it is!

After drying and clipping off the stems....

My yield from the one plant....

From my first ever grow....

Was....

Not what I expected....

The yield....

was....

175.5 grams dried and cut! I was expecting an ounce, but I ended up with 6.5oz of some of the smelliest, stickiest, crystal-iest, knock-you-on-your-arse bud! Here's a photo. There' a soda can for reference.
yield.jpg

Thanks again to all of you for your help! My next grow will be even better. I'm gonna push it to the limit lol. But no, the clone is in hydro right now, I'm flowering her. I cut all of the undegrowth and the fan leaves except for the tops, so hopefully that turns out better!

My next grow will be with CM, in a SOG setup. I will be using ff soil, with ff nutrients, with the same 400w light, and I will force CM clones into flower at 5" in hopes to get a 10" solid cola. I'm going to find a different mom, because the cm i have is very branchy and doesn't have the huge cola.

Alright guys, here it is!

After drying and clipping off the stems....

My yield from the one plant....

From my first ever grow....

Was....

Not what I expected....

The yield....

was....

175.5 grams dried and cut! I was expecting an ounce, but I ended up with 6.5oz of some of the smelliest, stickiest, crystal-iest, knock-you-on-your-arse bud! Here's a photo. There' a soda can for reference.
yield.jpg

Thanks again to all of you for your help! My next grow will be even better. I'm gonna push it to the limit lol. But no, the clone is in hydro right now, I'm flowering her. I cut all of the undegrowth and the fan leaves except for the tops, so hopefully that turns out better!

My next grow will be with CM, in a SOG setup. I will be using ff soil, with ff nutrients, with the same 400w light, and I will force CM clones into flower at 5" in hopes to get a 10" solid cola. I'm going to find a different mom, because the cm i have is very branchy and doesn't have the huge cola.

congratulations nice - great yield for a first time. Nothing like smoking own grown bud. Be sure to cure :) a proper cure makes a big difference.

Now that you have that first successful grow under your belt just develop on it. If I were you I would try to go with more and shorter plants to get the max benefit from your 400w.
Maybe in coco? Very easy and reliable, low maintenance, and almost as fast as hydro. I find DWC stressful, but that's just me.

And since this is a personal grow you prolly want to have some variety in your garden. So deffo start some seeds. If you keep your mothers small you can keep several different mothers to rotate and provide the spice of life.

Main thing is to practice the cloning - even if your looking for a different mom you should still make clones of your clone. Even if just for practice and for having backup plants as insurance.

Btw that clone plant is looking beatiful - very bushy. Maybe she would do better if flowered straight from rooted clone. Might make a fotballsized bud bush :D

From this
Clone1.jpg

to this
Clone_day_1_flower.jpg

Aint life amazing?

Last edited:
setting the standard

sup all!

in my opinion, this has been a standard setting thread and a great example of what this place should always be like and about!! not a single nasty post or sentiment uttered. just great help, great support, (dare i say great members) and beautiful intent,, a bunch of people comin together for the benefit of giving a helping hand to someone they just met! and no ego scene neither! fuzzy slippers for all, i say!! NICEx3!!!

oh, and i thought gronn's pic deserved a second look, as it's a great example of that lollipoping we were speaking about.. a real nice even canopy as well.

cheers for now, jj!

If you can't manage a 6 months cure (heaven knows I've never managed) - at least try for 3 weeks. Makes a big diff as well.

I agree with you 100% jojo - grow threads should all be about cooperation and helping each other. Sure aint many people I can ask in real life for advice on this shit.

And the help others gave to me on these forums has made a big difference to me. And I think that every grower that has benefited from the forums should pay it back. Overgrow the government. Give a man a bud, he gets stoned. Teach a man to grow and you have a pot activist for life.

Thanks for the kind words on my lollipopping. The first round I didn't lollipop enough - getting to know this plant and what she likes.

I cut the ones in the background a couple of days ago. Waiting on them to dry to post a final weight and comment.

They're all dry - total weight came out 618 gram. :)

I'm very pleased. Especially considering this is the first run in this room.

Had some mold and had to cut down at week 8 (56days) - earlier than I would have liked. Was checking them every day so I caught it very early, but still lost a couple of tops. Have increased air-circulation and added an ozone generator to come on for 15 minutes every 3 hours. Don't know if this is enough as it's not a very powerful ozone gen, but we'll see. Also gonna try and find a silica product to bost the plants defences.

The Critical Mass has really impressed me with it's large chunky buds. A real producer, gonna keep this one around for a long time. The flowers swell like crazy making a very dense bud. Keeps weight well after drying as well. The smell when dry is difficult to describe. It's very fruity, but with something else mixed in. Not unpleasant, but very strong smelling. Skunk pheno for sure :)

Smoke ways it's pretty potent, good evening smoke. Great for the appetite :). Makes me sleep like a baby when I eventually go to bed.

Did the chop quickly when I discovered the mold. So I didn't get the greatest of pictures - the macro on this pos camera sucks.

Some pictures anyways.
gr%F8nn-albums-cm-perpetual-picture6303-picture-066.jpg

Bit out of focus, but in the background you can see where I had to cut a top off due to mold.

Done.
gr%F8nn-albums-cm-perpetual-picture6299-picture-082.jpg

Bud.
gr%F8nn-albums-cm-perpetual-picture6302-picture-106.jpg

Sorry for the cheesy background, but it was difficult to get a good shot on count of my cameras macro.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for participating in a thread which has been very positive and helpful.

G

Last edited:
hi Elmer,

Thanks for the kind words. Means a lot coming from someone like yourself. Your pics of the 5Hz are just beautiful.

I would say that the two drawbakcs with the CM are mold and a not terribly exciting high.
But the yield potential is fantastic, and it's potent sit you down on your ass weed (which is what most of the yobbos in my area think is tha bomb).

On the other hand I'm thinking that if I'm gonna grow a skunk dominant CM - I might as well grow the Shit.
Yields are comparable if not quite as good, mold isn't such a big problem, and you can find some plants that produce a pretty racey upbeat high.

Prolly gonna get some Shit seeds and search for a keeper comparable to the one i used to have, and run that in the rotation for spice of life.
And if I can't get the mold under control I'll phase the CM out for those high humidity periods of the year.

Anyways got some old and new seed starting to look for some interesting keepers.

1. Old NLxBubblegum cross I did many years ago to try and preserve my lovely bubblegum mother. Gotten taproots on 10 of 16 seeds. Pretty good for 11-year old seeds that have been stored in less than ideal conditions.

2.Cristal limit. Can't even remember the seedbank, but google says KC Brains. circa 2001.

3. Old NlxG13 cross I did to try and preserve my old and beloved G13 cutting. Came to me through the grapevine ca 2002. Don't know ancestry, but guessing from mr.nice.

4. Swiss Bliss from paradise seeds. Bought after seeing Prawn Connerys Swiss Bliss grow. Lokking for sativa joy in a 9-week package.

So that's the plan. Gonna run through my old seed collection as I'm a bit dubious to the viability of some of the varieties after 10 years pluss storage, and some less than ideal storage temps during this period.

AND

As soon as I get my shit together around the grow room I'm gonna start my own thread and stop hogging Nices thread. :eek:

Back