Clones vs Cuttings

axiom

2022 COE Winner
Hi All
This goes out to Shantibaba and anyone else with plant science education.
What is the difference between
Clones vs Cuttings?
Thanks all
✌️

Gave a plant rootstim, 24h later:
Took the head off from a flowering plant, three nodes down.
I then took cuttings in a 45° angle and placed them in a cup of water with rootstim.
I then placed them in a propegator with microwaved soil.
I sprayed them with little rootstim and placed them under 18h of light.
They are still standing erect and vital.
Hope for the best.

Gave a plant rootstim, 24h later:
Took the head off from a flowering plant, three nodes down.
I then took cuttings in a 45° angle and placed them in a cup of water with rootstim.
I then placed them in a propegator with microwaved soil.
I sprayed them with little rootstim and placed them under 18h of light.
They are still standing erect and vital.
Hope for the best.
I figured out that cup of water trick about 20 years ago. and for me at least it seems if you can keep em from going into shock then it's all good and that cup of water seems to be the trick for me. I usually put a lil perlite in that water and sometimes I leave them in there for day sometimes an hour sometimes three days then I just put them in in dirt with a little root tone powder on them. pour a little water on once or twice a day I don't spray them I don't mist them I don't use a dome or cloning machine thing. I do scarify sometimes. and I don't put them under direct light or in front of a fan until they got roots. I usually give them 24 hours of light, but it seems to be more low-tech I go with cloning the better luck I have. and if you forget 20 of them cuttings in a cup of perlite and Clonex for like 5 days they all root together and are a pain in the ass to seperate. best of luck hope it works out for you. personally I woulda let that flowering head go and took them from the bottom branches then you woulda had another head to smoke. that's just me. in your garden you're free to do as you please.

Hi All
What is the difference between
Clones vs Cuttings?
Clones , which must be made thru plant tissue culture in a sterile environment are quite expensive to produce compared to cuttings which are basically cheap to produce and are used primarily for production of flowers.
Clones, can be made to remove plant heath issues. Cuttings do not.
Clones have a tap root like a seedling. Cuttings do not form a tap root, only feeder roots.
A clone is an exact duplicate of the plant from which the scrape was taken. A cutting is simply a cut tip from an existing growing branch.
I believe we as old timers should strive to use correct terminology when explaining things to new growers or inexperienced.
I searched this same question on popular search engines and was shocked to see just how much wrong info is being passed on as fact.
I recommend searching information from published works by educated writers.
I’m still interested in your take on this @shantibaba because I’ve been wrong before.
✌️

Imo clones are genetic copies of the mother plant whether by tissue culture, cutting ,airlayering or any other method . A cutting is usually that a cutting from the mother plant intended to root for it to become a clone. Asexual propogation at its finest.
In short a clone is rooted a cutting isn't. My 2 cents

These are the ones. Once rooted I will keep the best clone and induce stress on the leftovers to push her stresslevels.
Will share seedplant (dwarfed) later on. Neville's Haze Mango. It's highly recommended to dwarf this one lol Screenshot_20220221-150720_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220221-150656_Gallery.jpg

Edit: i have cut the leaves touching the soil in half. Seen it too :)
I have grown many sativas over years but I have never seen a lady more vigorous then this one. Have not smoked it yet but I am pretty confident she will be my number one strain. Yes she takes more time but she will yield above average. One plant from seed under 12/12 and 400 watts will go near 100g if not over 100g. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Shes a beauty, no doubt about it :)
I’ve been reading up on her, and it may appear I germed a special seed? Description said she wont gain much height, but my lamp is already at max and she is getting quite close. She had zero growth. I took the soil mix which was adviced by @n2ishun and @shantibaba and she exploded lol. I am considering on transplanting her into 40L soil with a little guano.
If she flowers below 20 weeks, she will be kept forever God willing. She will go well over 1g a watt, without any doubt. She’s amazing. Gonna practice my photo skills on her. I am doing this without autofocus lately

All cuttings still stand erect and vital.
They say haze is harder to grow, but I always had easier plants on sativas as they demand no fertilizer.

20220222203435_IMG_6361.JPG

Hey guys,

I flowered a clone in the past and it came nowhere near the production of a seedplant.
Is this normal? Fix this by adding more plants then normal in smaller pots?
Or grow them a little longer?

I had to forcefully take cuttings from the NHM because of extreme vigour. How do I handle these clones before flowering?

Cuttings are best for sending genetics that take a while to get there.
Once a plant has roots, it can die quickly. Ive been able to get an unrooted cutting across country and across pond no problem.

As for rooting, I prefer plain water as I feel that rooting hormones changes RNA and thus will have influence upon the expression of the plant

Hey guys,

I flowered a clone in the past and it came nowhere near the production of a seedplant.
Is this normal? Fix this by adding more plants then normal in smaller pots?
Or grow them a little longer?

I had to forcefully take cuttings from the NHM because of extreme vigour. How do I handle these clones before flowering?
I did not notice this Cannalicous, I would say the opposite. The structure/frame can be quite different so perhaps training is something you can try different methodes of. Clones from seedplants from sativa’s can be al lot quicker, so I could see that they grow for a shorter time too after flowering is induced. Positive is that the stretch period also should be a bit less. Most important is to get to know your plant and do a few runs with her!

I agree
Clones are quicker, more compact, more resinous.
The benefit of the seedplant is resistance.

If I were to plant a field as a cashcrop, I would want to plant a field of seeds instead of clones so I dont have to worry as much about croploss from environment or pest BS
If I were to plant a bunch of hoophouses to crop out 3 crops by pulling tarp, I would plant clones for the quick turnaround time

Back