• MrNice will have maintenance starting Tuesday, until Sunday. Update includes loading speed optimization, platform and plugins updates. Forum may be losed for few minutes intermittently.

Clip on fans for grow tents

Trickcomanche

I'm needing to upgrade my clip on fans in my tents. I have used Hurricane as well as the cheapy ones. I get about one year out of those then they just stop working. What do you use and what has been your experience with them?

I tried many over the years, cheap ones and high end and I found that maintenance is major factor to have a greater lifespan of the fans.
After each grow I take them apart, clean the dust of the blades and put a bit of solid grease on the rod+bearing (moving parts where there is friction).
They wear out faster if they are directed in an angle greater or lesser than 45°.

Brushless clip fans are low in wattage.

I stopped buying any fans advertised for growing.
They have been mostly junk.
There’s a few brands that have been making fans for major discount stores for decades that are better quality.

I use rotating Tower fans in the corners of the tent and I hang 10” fans (no rotating ) upside down using light hanging pulleys.
The tower fans don’t require much space,rotate mechanism actually lasts as long as the fan, and the ones without remote or leds are usually the least expensive.

I purposely buy bigger tents so I can use bigger fans.

Unfortunately commercial grade 10” fans don’t exist.

I was running the tower type when I had my room and I loved them. Being in a tent, they tend to be a bit close to my plants and beats them up. I second a bigger tent for workspace. Unfortunately I am only able to use a 4x4. Tent. But I'll be going to less bigger plants so that may give me more room.

Well, I ended up taking them apart and using compressed air to blow then out clean and added a drop or 2 of oil in each bearing as well as the pivot and gears for the oscillation. They now work better than new. It was really easy and I recomend it instead of just replacing them. Just make sure to unplug then before servicing.

Well, I ended up taking them apart and using compressed air to blow then out clean and added a drop or 2 of oil in each bearing as well as the pivot and gears for the oscillation. They now work better than new. It was really easy and I recomend it instead of just replacing them. Just make sure to unplug then before servicing.
My experience also Trickcomanche,
I did found that solid grease work better on the long run, I used WD40 in the beginning but soon noticed that its effect were gone after several weeks and had to redo it in the middle of the grow.

Back