Cambodia bagseed 2021

Bongda

Hi guys, new person to the forum. Thought id share what im up to cos its kinda interesting and id like to keep a log:

1634039650620.jpg

Currently living in Cambodia. Imo good outdoor weed here, Lot of variety, Lot of average stuff. After a while smokin, the tolerance builds up and u look for something else...
1634039649628.jpg

A few months ago a friend had a heavily seeded batch of bright green sativa Looking stuff, dunno where from. Buds stacked in skinny towers of calyxs. Buzzy energetic high verging on paranoid after days of smoking. Fresh, perhaps little bit citrus orange. Strong but not body high really. Kinda stuff keeps me up all night.

1634039651367.jpg

Anyhow, i went and picked it for seeds, got 50+ perhaps more. Months passed Living in town. Eventually i moved away More to the countryside. Had a chance and space to try popping them...

1634039650993.jpg

Ive always been fascinated by breeding and the idea of preserving rare or interesting genetics. I particularly like the idea of turning over seed regularly, finding the good ones, making seeds and repeating the process. In Time perhaps finding something exceptional and reproducing it.

1634043249654.jpg

With that in mind, it seems the most promising aspect to explore here are the sativas. Infact, an old grower friend said, the bagseed does best here due to the high humidity and the light cycle staying close to 12/12 all year. Most Western hybrids cannot stay in veg and tend to mould during flower.

1634039650229.jpg

So my hunch and pallette has lead me right so far...

1634043249939.jpg

Of the random seeds that survived, some have the appearance of sativa like buds, i kept the males, discarded the weaklings and early shooters. Of the survivors one looked most the part, so i have been using the crude technique of a plastic bag over the head to distribute pollen.

1634043940416.jpg

As my seeds and money fast run out i realise it is infact a necessity to reproduce seed....

1634044667228.jpg

Last things to mention (and what brings Me to this forum) ...im thinking to breed in the black widow, male and female. I figure the heritage is from similar climates and largely 'sativa' also. Could b interesting to mix them together here and keep flipping the seeds...

Ive got a long way to go, but im loving the times.

TLDR: cambodian bagseed. (maybe sativa) breeding for seeds and potential black widow cross.

Attachments

• 1634039650620.jpg
    1634039650620.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 0
Heres some other random bagseeds going. I think more likely hybrid imports, worth noting its heavy clay here. Im making my own sort-of-compost. But these girls in particular were just popped into the ground with little amendment.
1634049240885.jpg
more spear-like stems, fluffy bud structure. Wider leaf.
1634049242305.jpg

1634049241354.jpg
1634049241855.jpg

Attachments

• 1634049242656.jpg
    1634049242656.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1634049242305.jpg
    1634049242305.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
I like your idea of using Black Widow males. Might you also consider a La NIna dad for the stuff you are wanting to mix as it is derived from Thai and well, you being next door and all...

🤙mu

Having read more into la nina and the parentage Mullumbimby madness. I would say is now my first choice. Seems fitting for the plant to travel back this way and including that thai heritage, ... The added Pest and fungal resistance also v important.

All round top choice, thanks again mu!

Also look into walkabout.
Mostly sativa genetics with some thai in there also.
After a bit of forum reading... Yes! Another Really solid Selection. Cannot miss this to Try also. Walkabout sounds like it will throw up gems, and the tropical climate here will accomodate any flowering variation.

Thanks!

This plant was slow to flower, then decided to move her out of a walkway. Topped the flowers off, had her in a 10L pot for a week, then decided final home in the juice of the compost pit. Its been topped once and trained out. Waiting on the sun to kick her into moving.
1634066032347.jpg

This one was topped twice to 4 stems. Got really Leggy in the long grass, i dug her up repotted, trained out sideways for 2 weeks. Decided also going in the compost. Broke 2 branches in the madnesd, Splinted them. She Healed herself back up. im now Trying to let her rest... Smell is acrid bitter green. Its. Probly good as hemp...will see how it turns out.
1634066031791.jpg
This one is still in the pot. 10L. Topped once, grew up behind a door... Now look at her :) same plain acrid bitter bhang smell, has developed other flavours since flowering. Who knows.
1634066032823.jpg

Update: so ive been asking around a bit more for seeds and finding out what ppl know about the area and local strains etc.

Turns out there's (at least) 2 distinct strains which have been grown locally for years. Some loose historical info and speculation about each:-

A: sativa looking buds to me. Sandy finish altho hard to photo. This one ive seen on and off all year, and im informed by a friend hes known it for 7+ years. Despite its appearance as sativa, ive noticed it makes me yawn. Kind of disorienting effect. Woozy even, after a pipe noticed myself losing train of thought, lieing down, getting a random idea, then im washing dishes remembering i was Looking for a pen. Has red berry smell in jar, but not a lot of flavour comes thru smoked. Am trying curing now.
1634171447249.jpg

B: ive never seen this one until today. Grown locally, allegedly thai origin. Distinct smell. Sharp fruits. Deep high gradey smell. From a large bag we found everything from mint, fresh, cleaner, fruits full, rotten / cheese even a more savoury pepper and cheese. Ofc, hard to describe. It seemed mild and not much of the smell came thru as taste. Will try on a clear head.
1634171446775.jpg
This has given me a side project idea. If these are inbred cultivars, theoretically crossed together u have your F1 hybrid, coming from distinct parents. The aim would be simply: structure and resin from bud A (i would try male) smell and flavour from bud B (pollinate the rotten cheese pheno and look for it in the progeny.

I have seeds of each so with that simple goal in mind (appearance of A, smell Of B) i can attempt a hack and see how the kids turn out.

Any thoughts?

Update: so ive been asking around a bit more for seeds and finding out what ppl know about the area and local strains etc.

Turns out there's (at least) 2 distinct strains which have been grown locally for years. Some loose historical info and speculation about each:-

A: sativa looking buds to me. Sandy finish altho hard to photo. This one ive seen on and off all year, and im informed by a friend hes known it for 7+ years. Despite its appearance as sativa, ive noticed it makes me yawn. Kind of disorienting effect. Woozy even, after a pipe noticed myself losing train of thought, lieing down, getting a random idea, then im washing dishes remembering i was Looking for a pen. Has red berry smell in jar, but not a lot of flavour comes thru smoked. Am trying curing now.
View attachment 54951

B: ive never seen this one until today. Grown locally, allegedly thai origin. Distinct smell. Sharp fruits. Deep high gradey smell. From a large bag we found everything from mint, fresh, cleaner, fruits full, rotten / cheese even a more savoury pepper and cheese. Ofc, hard to describe. It seemed mild and not much of the smell came thru as taste. Will try on a clear head.
View attachment 54950
This has given me a side project idea. If these are inbred cultivars, theoretically crossed together u have your F1 hybrid, coming from distinct parents. The aim would be simply: structure and resin from bud A (i would try male) smell and flavour from bud B (pollinate the rotten cheese pheno and look for it in the progeny.

I have seeds of each so with that simple goal in mind (appearance of A, smell Of B) i can attempt a hack and see how the kids turn out.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like a plan . Why not try both ways and see which comes through best.

Sounds like a plan . Why not try both ways and see which comes through best.
yeh, i will try to make 'pure' seeds Of each to try and inbreed them seperately. Then keep a mixed plot where each can be pollinated.

My personal interest is to explore the genetics going in and out of seed, to try and observe how or what is passed on and how to enhance certain traits.

Some notes: this is one of the first plants which was accidentally pollinated. It triggered the idea to pollinate all this first generation.
1634256823877.jpg
Its been wet for days here, ive been picking off calyxs as they mature and change colour. Husks remain and are brown/grey, but they are not becoming hosts for mould yet. Im hoping more seeds in there, so she will stay for now. 1634256823401.jpg

This i would say holds the most promise for seed. Of all the pollinated plants, she still has her smell. Its the stinky/rotten mix fruit smell. All other seeded plants gradually lost smell. But her not. Barely touch it and its clear. Stinky. Fruit. 1634257469821.jpg
Thoroughly seeded. Very exciting.
1634258556000.jpg

This plant is diff seed batch, diff family. I personally dont like this loose bud with prolific hairs. But!...its a strong rotten mango smell with lush fruit behind. Pungent. Pretty sure ive smoked many versions of this before. I tried pollinating the lower buds a week ago. Will see. 1634257468887.jpg
It keeps looking done and in danger of mould, but it rains and rains, and she sits there, a few more white pistils... Ok carry on dear.
1634256824653.jpg

Cute. Beautiful smell. Very close to finishing, just wanna give the seeds enough time.
1634259512722.jpg
Can see the mature calyx changing colour ready to drop the seed. No mould so far.
1634257468536.jpg
Different angle.
1634259513169.jpg

Back