Breeding with G13xWidow

r543

HEy Guys,

Wanted to try mixing the g13 with my unreal Critical Mass Mom. Any suggestions on picking a male for potency? Any Signs or process's to determine this or is multiple fathers the way to go?

Not doing any of my own breeding yet I would suggest selecting two or three males that you think we'll pass down the traits that you are looking for. I would then breed each mail to a couple females. you would then want to grow out the seeds from each female and determine which male passes down the traits that you like best. once you have done that you can keep the best male to use for your cross with your keeper mom

Shanti has help

If you check the "Media" section of the site Shanti has written about selecting males for hobby breeding.

I would start there ;)

All the best,

CM

thanks for the suggestion CM. Checked it out and am using that info.

Anybody having germination issues with this guy?? Ive popped about 25 seeds of various different strains but have had 3 of my 8 G13xwidows do nothing....Maybe a bad batch? Something specific that the g13 is intolerant of that I'm causing? Maybe phenotype with extra long germination period?

Criteria Shantibaba uses for SELECTING MALE PLANTS

Taken from Page 63 of Treating Yourself issue 25...

1. Resin Production and Potency – the quickness, the amount and where it is being produced will all be factors. An eye glass will be the most accurate means to view this trait.
2. Aroma – if there is a distinct aroma or something interesting to the nose.
3. Quickness to flower and release of pollen maturation and speed to reach pollen dispersal.
4. Internode spacing – based on the Fibonacci ratio of 1:1.6, this ratio is used in many applications, one of which is a rating of beauty and another in stability and consistency of some genetic factors in a plants makeup.
5. Leaf structure and Stature – whether it is more leaning to sativa or indica and how the plant grows in visible structure.
6. Resistance to hermaphrodism – no visible signs that the male flower has any naturally occurring female pistilates combined within the male flower.
7. Vigor and fitness – visible factors that show the plant to behave in a healthy normal growth pattern.
8. Depth of coloration – of the plant from lime green to deep dark green (ornamental trait)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from the MNS article on hobby breeding by Shanti...

The importance of selecting plants for the traits that are useful to the breeder/grower is the main reason genetics have evolved as they have. Male plants of this species need to be carefully selected to avoid a lot of laborious work, which means one will need to do a lot of testing of F1 seed made from a particular male to verify if the sex linked traits are real or not. Males that auto flower irrespective of daylight hours are normally eliminated to insure against hermaphroditism or unwanted male traits. Males that flower too quickly or too tall are also not the best for breeding since they put too much energy into fiber production which is not the trait one is looking for in a medicinal plant. Males that have large hollow main stems are sought out rather than males that are more pith-filled stems - the main reason are that large hollow stemmed males are better THC producers than other plants. Males that produce tight floral clusters rather than airy sparse floral clusters are usually better to breed with. Finally if you rub your fingers against the stem of a developing male and are able to get strong odors or aromas (terpines) you will be advised to use these males as trichrome production and flavor are directly related to plants that produce odors early on. There are several other traits to look for in a male but these are rather advanced and need microscope help which is not really relevant for the hobby grower/breeder.

Thanks Man!

almost All of the serious progress I have made in my understanding of the agricultural aspects of this Genus beyond my own trial and error has been directly related to Scott Blakey.

:cool:

Thanks HHHG

Thanks HHHG !1 Very useful info

Starting to see 2 different phenol types with the seeds.

OPne is very indica, plants are almost look like clones, the other is more sativa leaning

Back