Breeding With Early-Flowering Males?

Hey all, update time.

So with the MedMan a flop for the time being, I decided to go with Ortega.
20220904_111507.jpg
Looking pretty good so far (top left may or may not be up to the task of tossing its helmet), I may begin another thread for them when they come a little more into their own.

The F3/BC1s, the taller two together.
I mislabeled them in my previous post, #1 is the horn-like top convenient if impaling one's enemies becomes necessary, #2 is the one becoming a deadly clubbing implement.

20220903_222822.jpg

#1.
20220903_222838.jpg
Grows long, finger-like buds near the top, and flat, paddle-like buds further down. They have an odd, almost "rubbery" feel to them, and the smells are developing very nicely into a rich, savory stink redolent of GMO but with more sweet earthiness and a little atmospheric fuel. Very nice, and the one I'm most drawn to from the smell standpoint.

#2.
20220903_222906.jpg
Has started putting on very nice weight, and the flower formation is more like chunks or almost "wads" of flower with a tactile feel similar to #1. Smell-wise, she is much lighter in effect, and something more like a lightly savory pastry with no stink as such - maybe a little like a health food store...not at all fruity or explicitly sweet, but gentle and very nice. I'm hoping this one in particular doesn't go past 10weeks given (as can be seen on fans) it has a little more susceptibility to pests.

Here is #3, the smaller one.
20220903_222916.jpg
Stands around 1/2 the height of the other two, and also developing nicely. Smells are pleasant, but less pronounced, more like #2 than #1.

Tomorrow will be 8weeks light dep for these gals, and as noted earlier they are not quite the fast plants I was going for; unless they have a massive surge over the next few days, it looks like they will need a minimum of two more weeks, perhaps more. Having said that, I've become quite happy with them. The real test will be in their offspring - my timing on the collection and application of pollen was pretty bad as it took place over a couple of extremely humid weeks, so I'm not finding a lot of developing seeds. A half dozen or so from each would at least allow for some "proof of concept" level evaluation of whether it's worth another run for more seeds - I have them safely growing as clones, and the male is still with us, so more beans will be doable if it seems like a good idea. Toking on a couple of early buds suggests that they will be very good, perhaps exceptional in the long run.

That's all for now folks, and thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Greetings fellow transgressive gardeners of the fine herb (and also those who by dint of happenstance don't transgress...).

The Ortega, coming along nicely.
20220910_224151.jpg
The one that failed to cast its helmet ended up decapitating itself, but there was a late sprouting "bench warmer" that was happy to step up for some game-time, who knows, maybe it will put up a few stats. The one bottom middle is showing some lopsided mutancy and almost certainly will not proceed to half gallon pots when the time comes, but I imagine the remaining eight will be plenty to search through. An Ortega X Kashmir cross is inevitable - true F1's anyone? Seems like a good idea to me!

Speaking of the Kash's, the two larger have been harvested; Candelabra (the new mom for the time being) was pretty much ready to go at 7weeks (I'll probably let her go 8 next round), but there are a couple of seeded branches so she's still letting those finish up. I'm realizing now I never took pics of her at chop time, but I ended up with just under 50 grams dried and jarred. This does not include four substantial branches around her middle that were seeded, so I would surmise that under these conditions (small 2-2.5gal pot) she is altogether a 2.5-3oz plant or thereabouts. The second largest of the three is a little less impressive than she looks at first glance, very airy bud structure, but very resinous - she could have gone another 1.5 weeks or so, but she's not a keeper, I need the space, and I like her effects right where she is (was). Here is the main cola, the upside down tray measures about 18'' at the diagonal.
20220910_122024.jpg
The smallest of the three is still chugging along, albeit slowly - even her seed development is slower than the other two.

The F3/BC1's: For whatever reason the #3 clone died - no idea why as it was among 9 other clones that rooted alongside each other, including cuts of #1 and #2 which are doing just fine; I harvested most of #3 and will be putting her in reveg hoping to save her that way. The other two continue their sensi journey.

#1:
20220911_124709.jpg

#2:
20220911_124704.jpg
Tomorrow is 9 weeks for these. As can be seen #2 is quite a lot more susceptible to pests than #1. They are both around 4', and I would estimate that at least 80% of their flower is pictured here in the top 16-18''. After stretch they have practically no side branching. The apical dominance on these is extremely high, and if that maintains in clone someone could do some serious damage in a really tight SOG setup. The Impaler, incidentally, is far denser than the Club.

Thanks, all, more to follow in a few days.

Attachments

• 20220910_224151.jpg
    20220910_224151.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
With deepest apologies for my severe delinquency with updates. The F3's are of course long harvested and I'm pretty happy with the results. There were far fewer beans than I hoped for (note to self: don't collect pollen during peak summer humidity), and so far only three on the horn-shaped one (the best of the three), so I'll run those soon.

Do you know who hasn't been delinquent...?

Ortegas!

20221106_212816.jpg

They have been kept as small as possible in minimal medium, but they are definitely at the tipping point toward problems if I don't give them a bit more to stand in ASAP. They were flipped on the 1st, and it appears more or less certain that I've got 6 females (back row and two front right), and two males (the pair front left).

The tall one back left is a bit lanky and might get tossed if it out-stretches it's little corner, but I would like to see these all through barring herms or other problems. Except for the greater apical dominance of the tall one, their similarity is remarkable. This one too, until it's anomaly:

20221106_212904.jpg
I'm thinking mom for this one.

The structure on this smaller male is very nice:

20221106_212850.jpg
However, it is phenotypically quite different than the others. Overall scale is smaller, with leaf structures that tend to lay flat and curve slightly downward giving a rounded bushier appearance than the light craving look of the others. The other male, as can be seen in the group pic, has some funky twist to the leaves, but otherwise has become a very impressive plant. I'll probably use both of them to some extent.

I'll start a new Ortega thread with further updates, and incidentally, I need to do a grow over at The Farm, and I'll probably do a stripped down version of the MNS Ortega show here to get that done (I won a light in one of the giveaways and part of the deal is you have to show it off a little. Over there I'm @vestibule, and I'll probably get that rolling this weekend).

Anyway, thanks for looking, and of course I'm interested in hearing anyone's thoughts as to what they see here - it's my first venture into NL territory.

Back