Breeding project

crazyhorse73

Hello everybody. Not sure if I should be starting a thread for this or not? My question is this. If planning to do a breeding project should all seeds be started from a pack, open-pollinated, and then sort through the f2's looking for special plants, or is that an insult to Shanti and should I just be looking for special plants to breed inside his packs? If I am looking at f2's I guess I am trying to combine as much genetic material as possible and then sort through it later looking for recessive outliers and especially potent smelly plants. Also not forgetting there is also a search for a keeper clone mum as well going on here and should that be my first priority considering that everything is cloned and replicated in that process so there is no loss of genetics? There are so many possibilities the mind just boggles. Any suggestions would be appreciated. How do the more experienced heads in this space approach these problems considering limited space and resources? These are the genetics I have to work with and would appreciate also any advice about looking for mums and dads and keepers in this lot as well. Super Silver Haze, Black Widow (heard tell to look for a male in here)G13 Haze, G13 Skunk, G13 Widow, Critical Haze, U2, The Doors, NHS, MKSkunk, Peace.

Depends on what your goals are, if you want to preserve a line I would have thought as many males and females open pollinated would be your best bet.

If you have found something you really like and have kept a cut the next process would be to find a male, there is some advice on males but in the end people just say you can't tell what a male brings until you've grown out the progeny. Run the males against the same cut and you'll get an idea soon of what each male is bringing to the table - it's a long process... I am still going through finding the cuts I want to keep, it's really hard because I'm looking for stuff that sparks my olfactory memory and I'm not getting much joy apart from the Skunks.

Depends on what your goals are, if you want to preserve a line I would have thought as many males and females open pollinated would be your best bet.

If you have found something you really like and have kept a cut the next process would be to find a male, there is some advice on males but in the end people just say you can't tell what a male brings until you've grown out the progeny. Run the males against the same cut and you'll get an idea soon of what each male is bringing to the table - it's a long process... I am still going through finding the cuts I want to keep, it's really hard because I'm looking for stuff that sparks my olfactory memory and I'm not getting much joy apart from the Skunks.
Right on

I guess so long as Shanti is preserving the line then I should be just looking for gold within that line.

The other point is that by going to the F2 stage recessive traits may show up that further the aims of the grower. So the best answer may be grow all seeds, clone all seeds and label, take a punt on a few to flower, do a full open pollination with small clones and store those seeds in case Shanti ever has problems in the future. Then pursue my own goals once that is accomplished.

@crazyhorse73 Yeah that's my aim with a few strains that were end of line when I bought them, I hope to take a few beans get a good balance of males to females and preserve that genepool first then use the resulting seed to look through the progeny.

I bought a second hand small refridgerator that holds a good amount of tubs for bulk seed - these also house other seeds as I'm a bit of an amateur botanist, I do enjoy indoor and outdoor gardening a bit too much!

Back