Breeding predatory mites for IPM

Marijuana Gangster

Wassup Brothers and Sisters,

for nearly half a year I have problems with spider mites and with thrips but to a smaller extent. I use to spray my plants in a rotation of azadirachtin and pyrethrum preparates and it works but after a while, and especially when I have flowering plants that I cannot spray anymore, the infestation comes back. So I decided to dive into the topic of using predatory mites for biological pest control and found out that you can breed some species easily. Species like Amblyseius cucumeris (against thrips) and Amblyseius californicus (against spider mites) are used preventatively to control thrips and spider mites and can feed on pollen in the absence of prey. This is the key for breeding them, because species like Phytoseiulus persimilis are much more efficient in killing spider mites but they are monophag and will die when no prey is available. This makes it more difficult to breed in the long perspective because you would also have to breed the spider mites (which I am trying to get rid of 😂). So I thought I will give the Amblyseius spec. a try and follow the instructions that I read online to breed them. Of course I will not do this without sharing the experience with you people.

So as it seems, there are only a few things to look out for, there has to be food, the relative humidity needs to be above 60% and the temperature should be constant at about 25 °C. Then you need to prepare some tupperware which will be the home to the mites. I drilled some holes in the lid so they get oxygen.
LID.jpg

Then I taped a cleaning rag on top of the lid so that the mites wont escape the box.
LID2.jpg

Afterwards I took two small containers, one to put the pollen in and the other to put some coco substrate in. The pollen serves as food and the Amblyseius lay their eggs here, while the coco substrate is moistened and will help to keep the humidity up. It also serves as a shelter. Then you just buy a pack of predatory mites, place it inside the box and close it.

Amblyseius cucumeris
BOX.jpg

Amblyseius californicus
BOX2.jpg

I open the box twice a day, before and after work, to prevent the pollen from molding and to let some fresh air inside. I just bought some small temperature and RH sensors today which I will also put in the box to monitor the conditions inside. Thats about it, I will keep you updated on how these mites develop.

one love 💚 and keep it G 🌱

MG

Wassup Brothers and Sisters

just a little update here. The mites seem to breed very well as you can see on the picture. Especially Amblyseius cucumeris (pictures) has developed well but this is also because the starting population was much larger.
Mites 1.jpg

As you can see, the pollen has been accepted very well and I already had to add some more. I am not sure whether the stuff in the pollen is eggs or mite shit. However, it seems they have laid many eggs in the holes that should carry in fresh air. First I thought this was their feces, but when I looked at it under the microscope I saw thousands of mites, so probably this is the spot where they lay their eggs. The Amblyseius californicus is still establishing, not much to see there.
Mites 2.jpg

stay tuned for more updates and some microscope pictures.

MG

Yo MG, great topic for a thread. Really appreciate your clear descriptions and photos.

It's certainly a topic I'm most interested in mysel. The little red fellas are currently enjoying some plants at mine. I don't worry too much, the plants are not damaged, and I'm not bothered if a few go up in smoke. But hey, I'm all about biodiversity and if there's something that likes to munch on them, happy to give it a go!

I popped in some ladybirds that I found nestling in a roof space, but haven't seen evidence of any feasting or any ladybirds since either, to tell you the truth....

Looking forwards to the next installment!

Yo MG, great topic for a thread. Really appreciate your clear descriptions and photos.

It's certainly a topic I'm most interested in mysel. The little red fellas are currently enjoying some plants at mine. I don't worry too much, the plants are not damaged, and I'm not bothered if a few go up in smoke. But hey, I'm all about biodiversity and if there's something that likes to munch on them, happy to give it a go!

I popped in some ladybirds that I found nestling in a roof space, but haven't seen evidence of any feasting or any ladybirds since either, to tell you the truth....

Looking forwards to the next installment!
Thank you bro. Much appreciated. I also tried to use ladibugs before but not in huge quantities, just some that I found randomly. I also did not see any effect, it seemed like the only thing they were looking for is how to get out of there 😂. I think it makes more sense to use the predatory mites, because you can provide them a home and you can release them in very large numbers as they are really tiny. Imagine having 10000 ladybugs in your appartment 😂 it would be somehow odd.

Thank you bro. Much appreciated. I also tried to use ladibugs before but not in huge quantities, just some that I found randomly. I also did not see any effect, it seemed like the only thing they were looking for is how to get out of there 😂. I think it makes more sense to use the predatory mites, because you can provide them a home and you can release them in very large numbers as they are really tiny. Imagine having 10000 ladybugs in your appartment 😂 it would be somehow odd.
I too find 🕷️ mites to be my biggest pest. I rotate between neem oil, Spinosad and ladybugs. It’s a regular thing, so I’m interested in following your results. Very good description and pictures, thanks.🤙

Wassup Brothers and Sisters,

for nearly half a year I have problems with spider mites and with thrips but to a smaller extent. I use to spray my plants in a rotation of azadirachtin and pyrethrum preparates and it works but after a while, and especially when I have flowering plants that I cannot spray anymore, the infestation comes back. So I decided to dive into the topic of using predatory mites for biological pest control and found out that you can breed some species easily. Species like Amblyseius cucumeris (against thrips) and Amblyseius californicus (against spider mites) are used preventatively to control thrips and spider mites and can feed on pollen in the absence of prey. This is the key for breeding them, because species like Phytoseiulus persimilis are much more efficient in killing spider mites but they are monophag and will die when no prey is available. This makes it more difficult to breed in the long perspective because you would also have to breed the spider mites (which I am trying to get rid of 😂). So I thought I will give the Amblyseius spec. a try and follow the instructions that I read online to breed them. Of course I will not do this without sharing the experience with you people.

So as it seems, there are only a few things to look out for, there has to be food, the relative humidity needs to be above 60% and the temperature should be constant at about 25 °C. Then you need to prepare some tupperware which will be the home to the mites. I drilled some holes in the lid so they get oxygen.
View attachment 69095

Then I taped a cleaning rag on top of the lid so that the mites wont escape the box.
View attachment 69096

Afterwards I took two small containers, one to put the pollen in and the other to put some coco substrate in. The pollen serves as food and the Amblyseius lay their eggs here, while the coco substrate is moistened and will help to keep the humidity up. It also serves as a shelter. Then you just buy a pack of predatory mites, place it inside the box and close it.

Amblyseius cucumeris
View attachment 69097

Amblyseius californicus
View attachment 69098

I open the box twice a day, before and after work, to prevent the pollen from molding and to let some fresh air inside. I just bought some small temperature and RH sensors today which I will also put in the box to monitor the conditions inside. Thats about it, I will keep you updated on how these mites develop.

MG

Great topic for discussion, thanks @Marijuana Gangster

Back