Bonzaï Mothers VS 7th node cutting

Bonzaï Mothers vs o'l Good Big Mama's

• Yes, Bonzaï mothers clones have the vigor of a samuraï.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, i only use clones from big Mama, Bonzaï clones are weaker.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Firewalker

Hi All,

My question is about mothers kept in veg stricly for clones, not for breeding with males.

I was very impressed by the bonzai mother technique preented here by joshua hazen, i've seen it n the past but kudos at how it was explained.

i was very surprised thought to see the plant that small.

i always thought that for a clone to have more growth potential and more vigor, you should take that clone at the 7th node and low on the plant, so what's up with the bonzai mothers, it gives you less vigorous and less healthy clones ?

i ask because i thought i'd make big 4 foot talls mothers like i always did and i'm now reconsidering that but since space is not an issue that much...

it's just that if it's really the same, i will welcome the extra space.

anyone have an opinion on the matter of mothers, do yo need to take a clone from 6th or 7th node or bonzai mother rocks

thx, peace

From what I've read, mostly on this site, there are two things to keep in mind with mothers. First.. they should be raised outdoors in REAL sunshine for about 6? (someone please post the quote from Shanti if you would please)weeks to reach their genitic potential. Secondly...I think the best rule of thumb is to refresh your mother every few cycles. The new fresh mothers produce fresh vigirous growth, as opposed to older possibly harder to clone vegitation. I understand you can "reboot" an old mother by vegging some of her clones in the sun and starting with new growth. ON THE OTHER HAND..... there are those who seem to love their old mothers and swear by them. Who the fuck am I to argue with them? In MHO it makes sense to regenerate every few cycles and that the plant will never reach it's full genetic ID without real sunshine. I am fortunate to be able to grow stuff outside as well as in and I have seen the changes some strains go through when you grow them outside and under lights. Just my two cents.

I would think as long as the bonzia mother had good vigor the clones will be fine but if you stress it out really bad or stunt the growth you may have problems but a vigorous little mother should give you nice vigorous clones. I never tried it myself though so not 100%.

thanks alot for your input, i wish i could plant mothers outside fto start with but i have a very short veg season here.

i misnamed the title because i was high sorry, i wanted it to say, small bonzai motheRs vs old good mothers, i just want to know if people around here prefer to have huge tall mothers for cloning, or small bonzai mothers, because obviously on those small ones you can have alot of cuttings with minimum space if you look at that thread from mr hazen :

secret 2 inch bonsai mother pictoral guide,
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/10-mothers-fathers/7326-secret-2-inch-bonsai-mother-pictoral-guide.html

im just curious if you guys use that technique, looks like it saves alot of space

im used to have huge mothers, but i like the idea of having alot of small bonzai mothers too.. what do you guys like the most and do you apply bonzai techniques or any topping of ur mothers or any technique on them too? im curious

thanks alot for your input,

thanks alot blunt, do you guys know at what node you should cut a clone if you wnt it to be vigorous ? im sure it does matter

thanks alot for your input, i wish i could plant mothers outside fto start with but i have a very short veg season here.

i misnamed the title because i was high sorry, i wanted it to say, small bonzai motheRs vs old good mothers, i just want to know if people around here prefer to have huge tall mothers for cloning, or small bonzai mothers, because obviously on those small ones you can have alot of cuttings with minimum space if you look at that thread from mr hazen :

secret 2 inch bonsai mother pictoral guide,
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/10-mothers-fathers/7326-secret-2-inch-bonsai-mother-pictoral-guide.html

im just curious if you guys use that technique, looks like it saves alot of space

im used to have huge mothers, but i like the idea of having alot of small bonzai mothers too.. what do you guys like the most and do you apply bonzai techniques or any topping of ur mothers or any technique on them too? im curious

thanks alot for your input,

wow that thread is kinda crazy I didn't realize how small of a pot he was using looks like it would stress a plant out pretty good just cutting off the root ball and back in the same small container I have no idea if thats good for it seems pretty stressful imo. my mothers always end up in the 5 gallon grow bags I got I try to keep them fairly short and bushy but I always have more cloneable branches then I need. I just wouldn't cut the root ball off and plant them back in a little pot I was thinking dude just kept them nice and small by topping and fiming the moms but that pot is crazy small. You could always check out see if the guy has a grow from clones or maybe try it on a cut for a year and see how it does I just wouldn't do that too a prime mother without being 100%. I just can't see a mother keeping half as long that way and I'd like to keep my cuts as long as Shanti guy's got to have some over 20 years old especially 1 or 2 he got from Neville actually hes got a video of his mother room on youtube.

Who is Scott Blakey? - YouTube

Hey hey
Herr are the Link to the Gold pdf ;) i think articel 5 or so
I make this so i let all 3-4 month my mother flowering and bevor, i make a cut of 5-6 clones and the fastest and healthiest rooter i make it to my new future mom

bevor i was taking the mother out the leafs was a liitle bit formation he looks a little Bit left then Takemy mother out for 4-6 weeks and the New leafs are normal and the Green oft the leafs are back to full strong health I must say thanks very much to shanti for share this:Mr. Nice seedbank and research - Links

thanks for the input bluntmass i had the same reaction and thought that i'd save shitloads of space with those small bonzai mother techniques but i'm skeptical about the vigor being the same than a normal mother since it's so small and stressed a couple time, but im always open-minded when being proven something

i wonder if many people here have used this with success

Hey hey
Herr are the Link to the Gold pdf ;) i think articel 5 or so
I make this so i let all 3-4 month my mother flowering and bevor, i make a cut of 5-6 clones and the fastest and healthiest rooter i make it to my new future mom

bevor i was taking the mother out the leafs was a liitle bit formation he looks a little Bit left then Takemy mother out for 4-6 weeks and the New leafs are normal and the Green oft the leafs are back to full strong health I must say thanks very much to shanti for share this:Mr. Nice seedbank and research - Links

thanks alot for the links, new time hippy very interesting stuff, im not sure i can start the mothers outside every year to keep the strain vigor, im pretty sure u can keep something for a long time under lights like 10 years if you are very very carefull

the 7th node title was really funny, i was high and confused lol, i don't think u need to go that far to take a clone.

a more intelligent question would be :
how many nodes should you leave on a mother when you take a clone, and how many nodes do you think an ideal clone should have ?

it is somethingi have wondered for a while

thanks alot for your great infos guys it's very kind to help an amateur like me.

peace

HHHG is correct.

I'm a top cloner (when/if i am able). so i try to let them get to at least the 7th node before i top clone.

Ideally they would be expressing some signs of being more mature at this point, like alternating nodes.

but letting the plant mature is a good idea. also, i often dont think i get my timing correct the first time around - i tend to let them go longer and finish more fully the more times i've grown each cut.

i knew i wasnt crazy 7th node? anyone else does that?

hahaha, yeah, and what about you barn, do you have ay opinion on how many nodes should you leave on a mother when u take a clones and how many nodes u have to leave on that clone?

i think 7 node is alot but i'm just not sure, maybe it dosnt matter at all and you can cut anything that is low on the plant

thx barns i love ur canuck style :)

@firewalker - nope sorry man, I just made me very first clones this year, I cloned from seed mothers, took the bottom branches and it actually worked!

After some advice from people on this board it seems my choice to clone in straight vermiculite was pretty iffy, it worked but apparently not recommended.

I'll be making a few clones soon, this time in commercial seed starting mix. A lot of people suggest rockwool cubes but I don't have any of that stuff at the moment. Anyway getting off track with your original question.

I did learn that the lower branches will tend to root faster because upper branches and lower branches have a different mix of hormones, again this is just from reading not actual experience. It is an interesting and doable test if you have the time and space.

Take care, fellow Canuck!

My experince is the First three nodes from a seedmother are Not the Best choice because they need a extra week on veg for the full potent oft the plant.

Cut the First three nodes because they poor Took it in the garbage or use it as extra Saftywhen its your first time when youcut clones because thereany thinks what's can run wrong
i personly let 4-5 uper nodes on the plant because with each cut you get more and more nodes so on your first cut of clones when you let 5 nodes on your mother you get 5 clones on a 100% rooting quat next time you can cut 10 nrxt time 20 and so on..........because you let on the node armpit some mini leafs\nodes where come new nodes for new cuts Hope this helps you more and that's only my personelly own experince but it works very very well for me
Sorry for my bad English
Hope you understand and some other one can share experience too

My experince is the First three nodes from a seedmother are Not the Best choice because they need a extra week on veg for the full potent oft the plant.

Cut the First three nodes because they poor Took it in the garbage or use it as extra Saftywhen its your first time when youcut clones because thereany thinks what's can run wrong
i personly let 4-5 uper nodes on the plant because with each cut you get more and more nodes so on your first cut of clones when you let 5 nodes on your mother you get 5 clones on a 100% rooting quat next time you can cut 10 nrxt time 20 and so on..........because you let on the node armpit some mini leafs\nodes where come new nodes for new cuts Hope this helps you more and that's only my personelly own experince but it works very very well for me
Sorry for my bad English
Hope you understand and some other one can share experience too

yeah i understand what you mean, so basically you trim that mother to have more and more nodes, branches and leaves and you take a clone from the 4 th or 5 th node

must make big bonzaimothers lol !
are you pruning your roots and what size of container do you use ?

thanks alot for your input :D

I let all 6-8 month my mother flowering and make a new one I tell you at the first side from this thread where I post the pdf link you can let it bonzay tiny when you use always the head from the notes with the time you know where is too cut for a tiny mother but its also in geno-phenotyp its easier to let a bushy one tinier also is a thing how long are the distanc between the nodes.
Its a selecting thing

I let all 6-8 month my mother flowering and make a new one I tell you at the first side from this thread where I post the pdf link you can let it bonzay tiny when you use always the head from the notes with the time you know where is too cut for a tiny mother but its also in geno-phenotyp its easier to let a bushy one tinier also is a thing how long are the distanc between the nodes.
Its a selecting thing

nice thanks alot, i read half of all the pdf and i think i missed this one much appreciated brother

peace

Yeah all fine to read I make the same very interresting :)
articel 5 was the importent one for me because its the secret of years old healthy plant;)
but don't thank me we must say thanks to nevil and shanti fir share this secret

Back