Bokashi Liquid Feed/Living Soil

Hi Danny,
after my worm farm this was gonna be my next project. Unfortunately I dont have any advice for you but will be following. Keep us informed and enrich us with the experience you will make (y)
MG

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll have a go at writing up a comparative grow with cuttings sometime in the future. I really should get a worm bin going, to digest the solid waste from the bokashi, but will mix in with regular compost for now.

Is anyone using the liquid from bokashi fermentation as a feed?

I'm going to be experimenting this year and would appreciate any tips/advice.

Thanks!

I never heard of Bokashi fermentation before but thanks to you I think about starting an experiment with the Bokashi liquid solution in my hydroponic set up on my next run.

Should be interesting to see if and how it works :unsure:

Keep it green
MB

i have been using this in my angel heart grow throughout. If i remember correctly there are 5 groups of microbes in em-1 (Effective Microbes). These groups consist of lactobacillus, azotobacter (nitrifying bacteria), photosynthesizing bacteria and two more entire groups that i forgot now. The cool thing about the bokashi (well-fermented material) bottled bacteria was, that you can make large batches in a closed container. These microbes work in symbiosis, so there are both aerobic and anaerobic microbes in there. So the idea would be that you get a bottle of the microbes, a bottle of molasses, mix it together in a closed container with water and let the microbes multiply. All these microbes are beneficial for plants and are safe to add in endless amounts ( for as far as i understand ) as they just work as a basis of the foodweb while adding beneficial properties to the biome. So you can make something that is quite similar to an active aerated compost tea, but that doesnt require aeration throughout. - or that doesn't reek super foul. As do some old-fashioned anaerobic nettle teas...

This pre-packaged bokashi compost bran i tried as well as a method to pre-compost the kitchen waste. Personally i found it a bit of a stinky business, - and to go out and buy plastic(!) bags of compost seemed to be a bit senseless to me, so i didnt really continue this experiment. The compost pile outside just makes so much more sense to me.

There are a lot of bokashi(well-fermented material) products around. - they all work around that EM-1 bottled microbes idea. I think the EM-1 is definitely a useful tool. Especially if we are talking about spreading it out on a field or something. But some other products seem a bit pointless to me. I.E. the pre-packaged compost etc..

N.B. your experiences may differ. i eagerly await more experimentation. apologies if some details are remembered wrong.

Hi all. I've mixed some liquid into 10l of dechlorinated water. EC reads .9 & pH 4.4!

Do you guys dilute with water to correct, or add pH+?
My understanding is that the ph and ec does not matter as much in organics as the soil buffers the ph . And it doesn't have nutrients in the usual sense imo so ec does not tell much iirc .
Disclaimer: not an expert in bokashi and Korean farming methods. Someone more knowledgeable.

My understanding is that the ph and ec does not matter as much in organics as the soil buffers the ph . And it doesn't have nutrients in the usual sense imo so ec does not tell much iirc .
Disclaimer: not an expert in bokashi and Korean farming methods. Someone more knowledgeable.

Thank you. Hope all happy & well with your perpetual grow!

Quick update. All good so far. No dead plants 😅

What I'm doing at the moment is using the bokashi liquid as a pH- for my tap water. I either evaporate the chlorine overnight or use Vit. C, then pH with bokashi.

I'll start upping the dose (and allow the pH to drop) slowly, and adjust with an organic pH+ if the plants say it's necessary.

Got a good amount of fermented waste in the compost bin now, and will mix this compost with recycled peat/perlite mix.

The electrical conductivity (EC) in organics has little to say about the contained nutrients, cause organic nutrients are often in a form that need to be made available to the plant by soil bacteria or root exsudates. As such, these nutrients are not detected by the EC meter. In this case the EC was 0.9 which tells you that there is a little amount of dissolved ions (maybe plant nutrients, maybe not) but it tells you nothing about the bound nutrients that will be released in the future. However, if your organic solution has a high EC, for example 4 dS m-1, it does tell you that the EC is too high due to dissolved ions and it will harm your plants if you feed them this.
Another thing is that in general the EC does not tell you anything about the nature of the dissolved ions. You could take RO water and dissole NaCl in it and the EC would rise, but there are no plant nutrients in that solution. So EC only tells you sth about the nutrient content when you know which salts you dissolve in the water and in which proportions, or in case of organic solutions, if you have access to a lab to test the composition of the solution. If not, EC tells you only that the solution has dissolved ions and if too high it reduce the osmotic potential of the soil leading to a number of problems.

The electrical conductivity (EC) in organics has little to say about the contained nutrients, cause organic nutrients are often in a form that need to be made available to the plant by soil bacteria or root exsudates. As such, these nutrients are not detected by the EC meter. In this case the EC was 0.9 which tells you that there is a little amount of dissolved ions (maybe plant nutrients, maybe not) but it tells you nothing about the bound nutrients that will be released in the future. However, if your organic solution has a high EC, for example 4 dS m-1, it does tell you that the EC is too high due to dissolved ions and it will harm your plants if you feed them this.
Another thing is that in general the EC does not tell you anything about the nature of the dissolved ions. You could take RO water and dissole NaCl in it and the EC would rise, but there are no plant nutrients in that solution. So EC only tells you sth about the nutrient content when you know which salts you dissolve in the water and in which proportions, or in case of organic solutions, if you have access to a lab to test the composition of the solution. If not, EC tells you only that the solution has dissolved ions and if too high it reduce the osmotic potential of the soil leading to a number of problems.

Thanks for the informative replies @Marijuana Gangster it's really appreciated.

I've now produced about 60l of solid fermented waste, which I'm composting in my regular compost bin. I'm mixing through spent peat & perlite soil mix with this and will bag it up when broken down enough.

Using the liquid bokashi on my roses & herbs with good results so far. Very intense flowering on my rosemary bush.

Bokashi is interesting
What pH are you fertigating at?

Before I started using coco, I was using soiless organics.
Basically r.o.l.s
Inbetween grows, I would put the media into sealable bins, and process it anaerobically with bokashi to breakdown the plant matter and to exterminate any pests
I just buy coco and re-use it blended with soil to grow fruit trees and veg in bags now
Good to see you using bokashi though.
Some of my mates and my two sons reckon the best weed I ever grew was a garden that I was mulching with bokashi seeded onto ground corn cobs
Good luck with it

Bokashi is interesting
What pH are you fertigating at?

Before I started using coco, I was using soiless organics.
Basically r.o.l.s
Inbetween grows, I would put the media into sealable bins, and process it anaerobically with bokashi to breakdown the plant matter and to exterminate any pests
I just buy coco and re-use it blended with soil to grow fruit trees and veg in bags now
Good to see you using bokashi though.
Some of my mates and my two sons reckon the best weed I ever grew was a garden that I was mulching with bokashi seeded onto ground corn cobs
Good luck with it

Hi @earth magic I thought I had replied to you already - thanks for the advice. That's a great way to clean the soil for reuse.

Keep us informed
MG

I've been pretty impressed with the results outdoors this year. Roses absolutely loved it, plenty of buds & huge rosehips (some in pots, some direct in soil) all the shrubs seem to enjoy it too (very glossy aggressive growth on rosemary)

I'm waiting on a new tent so I can have a separate space to trail living soil indoors this wi ter - will see how that goes.

Back