Best time to clone?

67FlyingV

Greetz! I'm jazzed about popping MH beans. I'm looking for the super sativa pheno to help with my Willis Ekbom Disease. I have discovered that a good sativa alleviates the pain associated with this condition.

I would like to know when to cut clones: should the grower veg until the 5th or 7th node and top for the clone or put the seed directly into flower and cut clones then?

Sounds like your looking for a keeper that suits your needs. I would suggest labeling all plants and be sure to have labeled, rooted clones of all plants before flowering out the seedplants for judging. I would also suggest keeping your top three plants to re-run as clones before narrowing it down to one keeper.

Good luck on your quest

Hi 67 Flying V!

You'll notice when you raise seed plants that the little branchlets eventually stretch out with age.

After about the first month,the branches begin to appear.I call those little branchlets "suckers":p.
At about the second month,these branches will have taken on some size,and you'll notice that little stick in the mud is now a compact little bush.

I like to wait to notice that the branches that have grown out of the "belly" of the plant have now taken on a bit of burl and girth.(It just ups the survival rate to cut the plantlet at a decent size anyhow.)
Even under long day lengths,after a while of watching things grow,you'll notice that the nodes on the branches don't come out even.When plants are young (first weeks/first month),the leaves come out at the nodes symmetrical.

Notice in this picture of a young Sharkie what I'm talking about:

This node is what I'm talking about when I say that the plant will go "kinky" at a certain point during "pubescent" growth.(yes,I do mean under a long day length photo schedule)

This "kink" would most certainly appear were one to reduce day lengths immediately.I just do so because I like to wait for the plant to tell me what she's all about:p(as in I wait while she's in "veg" to see this)

2monthish old Sk.Hz from seed (notice how the petiole/leaf stems don't meet each other adjacently…that's the "kink":eek:):

The only sound advice I can offer is to make sure to take something big enough for it to survive.If it's too small,you can't really bury the stem in deep,and that sucks,because plants need balance to live!!!

Last edited:
I always wait for pre-flowers but it can be done sooner. I've also read to give the mom some flower nutes a day before cause the phosphorus does promotes root growth I haven't noticed a huge difference but it makes sense and if it aint broke don't fix it.

I usually like waiting until preflowers show. I took cuttings from my MH inbred at about two weeks into flower and they rooted in about a week. I lost them. I now have some going that are mini colas and are at about 8 days without roots yet.

Back