Autoflower genes found in Walkabout

Generally speaking yes, though its probable that the necessary genes could be present in certain other landraces recessively.

Also, Walkabout is a random mix of extra seeds and possibly test crosses. Nevil crossed Ruderalis to a few chemovars back in the day. It's always possible that Shanti popped old beans of Nevils to test and or cross. If that's the case, that walkabout pheno could be very rare. No way to know though.

Or, maybe she was simply an anomoly.

Either way, it was a fun grow to watch she sounds delightful. @Skuncle Lenny thanks again for sharing her with us.

I believe Diesel is correct here.

The "auto" or ruderalis trait is recessive. So this would mean that say 1 or 2 seeds out of a batch of 5000 seeds of any line can exhibit "auto flowers".
Making those finds quite a rarity.. the hungarian ruderalis originally used would have been most handy in stabilising that gene quickly (still at least 2 gens breeding in most cases to stabilise).. as finding recessive females AND males in a single seed line to interbreed would require some serious numbers popped... And/Or serious luck.

I’m back…
So, I extended the Walkabout early finisher and made feminized seeds. I did what I mentioned earlier, in that I germinated seeds back on May 11th to grow outdoors.
IMG_2935.jpeg
So they’re about 45 days old, and if you 👀 close you’ll see one is starting to flower already!!!
IMG_2936.jpeg
My theory was that they’d finish quickly, like mid-Sept, before the Fall rain ☔
Interesting pheno, but when you consider the complex lineage, and Shanti Breeder, it’s a present 🎁
Will be fun to see how they grow in July.
☮️

3 weeks later, the ‘autoflower’ stopped growing at about 12 inches. She’s been overwhelmed by the other 2 which have grown 12”/week, now about 5 ft.
Up close it looks like it’s starting to pre-flower, and I hope so because I need this to finish early b4 Fall rain.
IMG_3378.jpeg

I am on the clone of the clone that’s flowering under 18/6, as shown in the last pic.
I’m just saying it’s a cool unusual, for me, pheno to find. 🤙

3 weeks later, the ‘autoflower’ stopped growing at about 12 inches.

Hi Skuncle Lenny, I'm curious if it would flower under 19 hrs light? Or if its 6 hr night cycle was interrupted by an hour of light, in the middle of it: 18 hrs on, 2.5 hrs off, 1 hr on, 2.5 hrs off? If you can find a light cycle that keeps it in veg mode, then it isn't a true auto, properly speaking.

I’m just pointing out a strange trait and using the word auto flower liberally. I ran Walkabout initially indoors when one of the phenos started flowering under 18/6. I feminized and made seeds to see if it would be a good plant for outdoors. This is the first round of running those seeds so I would expect inconsistency which I’m seeing.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yup, the nice looking lady is starting to hair up:
IMG_3462.jpeg
IMG_3463.jpeg
IMG_3465.jpeg
Will she continue & really start flowering?
Is this really the start of something special?
Soaked on 5/11, so if truly starting to flower in its own after 2 1/2 months and will finish in the 8-9w like its Mother, then this can be very useable outdoors.
Ergo, I clipped lowers for cloning attempts and if it truly is flowering then the POA is to use CS to pollinate itself and extend.
🤞🤞🤞

☮️
My canopy setup with removable top worked perfectly during the week of storms.
IMG_3899.jpeg
Early flowerer is 6’ & other now 7’
IMG_3930.jpeg
The original finished in 8w, so with flowering starting late July, 🤞finish b4 October.

IMG_3902.jpeg
IMG_3905.jpeg
Sunrise/Sunset down to 14 hrs which is triggering flowering the other Walkabout + their MKS neighbors
IMG_3911.jpeg
Long way to go, but current forecast for next week looks near perfect.
If you gotum, smokeum
💨

1724780649634.png Outdoor is enjoying the near perfect weather since last update 2 weeks ago.
Early flowered @64” with buds developing. Seeing thinner/narrower buds than the parents grown indoors, but the same identifying berry aroma.
Later is @84” and long way to go.
Apologies for pics, but lotsa 🦌 and critters:
IMG_4200.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg
IMG_4207.jpeg

IMG_4208.jpeg
Japanese 🪲, caterpillars and lantern flys are the common pests, though fairly minimal.
IMG_4198.jpeg
My biggest obstacle is the yard flooding that occurs with any good rain. Creek behind this view, but it floods from the ground and can get as high as the wooden raised garden(12-18”), so I’ll put planters for smaller MKS back in raised bed when 🌧️ settles in. The large bucket for the 2 Walkabout will be OK.

Another week has passed as we enter September with the forecast of sunny skies temps in the 70s at during day and 50s at night. Hopefully the cold temps will expedite finishing by the end of this month.
Buds are not maturing much. Plants are growing like a sativa, buds sativa like too and smells are delicious berries.
IMG_4304.jpeg
IMG_4344.jpeg
Tough to get good pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Added bone meal and worm castings early August, so molasses water this month.
Ladies, your only job this month is to fatten up and mature. Now listen!!!
😂

Back