Are MNS seeds F1's or f2's?

Since that's exactly a question I've been asking myself these days, I've researched a little and will add my two cents... In my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, F1 are created when two different plants and/or varieties are crossed with each other. The resulting result is F1. As an example: Sativa x Indica = Satica©. And further: Satica©_m x Satica©_w = F2. That's how I understood it up until then. Since we would like to have something constant from e.g. MNS, I rather suspect that we can buy S1; Since the Satica© has been found good, you do the following: A Satica©_w is treated anyway so that it becomes a Satica©_m. Then the two are allowed to play together and the resulting children are S1. It then "only" contains Satica©. But all this without guarantee.

Since that's exactly a question I've been asking myself these days, I've researched a little and will add my two cents... In my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, F1 are created when two different plants and/or varieties are crossed with each other. The resulting result is F1. As an example: Sativa x Indica = Satica©. And further: Satica©_m x Satica©_w = F2. That's how I understood it up until then. Since we would like to have something constant from e.g. MNS, I rather suspect that we can buy S1; Since the Satica© has been found good, you do the following: A Satica©_w is treated anyway so that it becomes a Satica©_m. Then the two are allowed to play together and the resulting children are S1. It then "only" contains Satica©. But all this without guarantee.

One very good thing about mns strains is they offer a lot of variability in the line
In a pack of seed you can find variable phenotypes
Not all will suit you, but you should be able to find a keeper to satisfy your needs

This would be a great place for Shantibaba to talk about F1s and F2 as it can be confusing
A true F1 is the first generation cross of two distinct variety
Skunk and black widow breeding to each other would produce an F1
This is desirable, as the F1 benefits from heterosis, and are quite vigorous and strong
They may be more resilient and yield well.
You could call a breeding of super silver haze to mango haze an F1 in the first generation, but as both variety share common ancestry, this is probably more of an in-cross or line breed. A lot of the terminology isn't quite precise.

You can also do in cross with different generations
DJ Short continued to breed his blueberry until at least f13, where he supposedly found his favourite expression.
He then bred that female back to his best male at the time b130, that was from his f3 or f4 breeding.
That f13 X f4 became the f13 blueberry seed line

Nevil wrote about breeding of two distinct but similar F1 together.
Which would be a mingling of four fixed genetic lines
Say a Panama red, Colombia gold, Oaxacan and Guerrero
The expressions would be unique and you could select bespoke smoke, if you started with 4 chemotypes that suited you.
The f2 generation ( f1 X f1 ) would tend to revert, while the f3 ( f2 X f2 ) would start to fix the genotype, depending on the selection of parents

Back