Afghan Haze

jim dankness

hello fellow cannaficionados:

i'm happy to bring you this humble report on shanti's limited Afghan Haze offering. some of you may have seen another report detailing my experience with a particularly Afghan-heavy phenotype of this hybrid (http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=616). this grow/smoke report will detail the other side of the extreme, the most impressive & 'Hazy' phenotype of the bunch.

it might be informative for other growers if i convey a little detail on the circumstances in which this Afghan Haze was introduced into the garden. we had wanted to add a Haze-heavy hybrid to the garden, and decided that we would give everyone who was anyone in the world of cannabis seeds a shot at the gold. we acquired several likely candidates from Gypsy Nirvana: Original Haze by the Flying Dutchman, Original Thai Haze x Skunk #1 by the Skunkman, NL5 x Haze by Sensi, Neville's Haze by Greenhouse & last but certainly not least, Afghan Haze by Mr. Nice (i should add that Neville's Haze or SSH would have been much more likely purchases but at the time we were acquiring the seeds, neither were in stock for our desired window of germination).

Shanti's seeds were the most successful, giving us about 7-8 good plants. Greenhouse was second with 4 out of 5 (though out of five seeds, only one was a female-- go figure). Nl5xHaze and both of the Original Hazes were very, very difficult to germinate & consequently we only had a few examples of each to work with. However, what few plants we had from the F. Dutchman and the Skunkman were all males, so they were culled from the competition... see ya, guys!

I won't bore anyone with the tedious details of growth & development, and will instead skip to the final phase... harvest! Of our chosen phenotypes, the details worked out as such: while NL5xHaze was easy to cultivate & yielded nicely, her blown-out, loose flower formations & general medium potency made her an undesirable addition to the garden. Greenhouse's Neville's Haze had a good yield & nice bag appeal; the smoke was pleasant & the high cerebral with a bit of body load, though flavor & aroma were a bit lacking to the point of being nearly absent! from a commercial standpoint, this Neville's-- though the flowers were really just clumps of single-stacked calyxes-- would have been the easiest to add into a crop rotation, in that she didn't stretch more than a handful of inches into flowering & had pretty, resin-coated flowers that would sell themselves.

Last edited:
2251644866_32acf8e915.jpg

the chosen best sativa phenotype of Afghan Haze finished at about 110 days, though one might have chosen to leave her in the garden for a week longer for extra potency. we chopped down our first example of the flowers at about 95 days (see above photo), and at that point she was already potent, cerebral sativa smoke with more than a hint of mango about her flavor.

pushed past day 100 (see photos below), the flowers are laden with resin glands. the mango flavor remains but gains an underlying fecundity with later maturity, perhaps becoming more like overripe mangos about to rot! as a committed vaporizer user, i should add that trite comparisons to rotten fruit don't really convey the complexities in this wonderful flavor!

of all of the Hazes mentioned throught this report, this particular pheno of Afghan Haze is both the strongest smoke of the bunch & the most satisfying as well. this is truly cerebral cannabis, with nary a hint of its Afghan heritage, and perfect for working, reading, creativity, etc. i often find myself charging into some sort of task shortly after consuming! as a medical patient with a recommendation for migranes, the exceptionally sativa-heavy effect is heavy yet very functional in its alleviation, relieving tension without leaving one washed out later.

being somewhat of a Haze aficionado, i would have to say that this is among the best smoke from a Haze hybrid that i've ever sampled, right along side of such modern classics as Jack Herer, Super Silver Haze, etc. what the Afghan Haze doesn't seem to have, from my small sampling, is a dense hybridization of its two parents. obviously, we know to expect a broad representative sampling of characteristics in a cross like this; but most if not all female phenotypes of a SSH or Herer et al will have truly dense & impressive indica structured flowers while still keeping those important sativa characteristics. besides Afghan-dominated phenotype, the more Hazy of the flowers-- while being five-star cannaisseur smoke-- lack a little in the bag appeal department (the cannabis clubs around these parts refer to this elusive quality as sexiness :D !) i love small calyx'd tiny-glanded sativa bud as much as anybody, but as a indoor grower with space & economic considerations, i'm better off with something like the SSH that is a little more homogeneous in its characteristics-- that i can both horde in my headstash as well as share with the world!

that being said, i truly love this particular Afghan Haze-- as i said, five star smoke all around. i plan on keeping her alive in clone form as long as she'll allow me to & growing her in the corners of my room on occasion, as well as pollinating to see what the next generation will bring!

2251603736_2cb626af3a.jpg

2251603738_f5f77ef28c.jpg

Damn Jim !

:D had to say it... hey those buds look like mine,send me that top one and Ill compare notes. :rolleyes:
I enjoyed the Afghan x Haze so much I still have my #4 female and two of her brothers...

peace mate

hey scorp, thanks for the kind words. i have to agree, my Haze pheno is a dead ringer for the one you call 'thai stix'.

also, found a few more photos in the archive:

2251644880_3849bd1cb2.jpg

2230041560_1337c61c8b.jpg

2230041548_959a67a4f1.jpg

Thanks jim dankness

High man,

Great reports and pics bro,lot's of info,I've read both many times(clicked the link from the first thread);) Excellent work,keep it up:cool:

My wife suffers from migraine,and I would give my right arm and leg to see her get some relief from migraine,but she has mainly visual,with mega pain & drain after,and she can't smoke anything,till it passes,but glad it works for you.

Peace JD,and all.

Hey Jim, thanks for the report. Anyone else find it ODD that the GH NH only stretched a couple inches. My MNS NH stretched for weeks and weeks....

A

Great grow report, Jim. Pictures look good enough to “wake and bake”. In fact, I would like to have some right here with me to replace this Moroccan bubble I’ve been puffing… way to much indica in his effects.

Overall, and after reading some grow reports here, I’m very impressed with the afghan x haze and think it will make a fine addiction in the garden… once it gets going again :D

I sure hope I get that pheno you have as I love the energy from the haze. Is this the longest running pheno you have? The wait will be worth it, but I am a few months away from harvest. This is a very nice grow you have I only had room for #9 and #4 clones in my space and may have to reveg a few if necessary especially my #7 Af/Hz in the end? This #7 I have was very fast in the veg department after flowering. When she went back into veg after being flowered for 3 weeks do to a scare of animals were I keep them next to the forest. I put them back out to flower after being vegged for three weeks from initial flowering. That #7 flowered extremely fast than the rest of the clan #s8,9,10. I have to say that #9 cloned very easy as they were only small buds at the bottom of plant but worked. Nice grow friend. peace, botanyman ;)

hi folks, many overdue thanks for the kind compliments about my AfghanHaze grow. i kept my 110 day AfghanHaze for two more cycles after my last update-- a long time, really! but she was just too much of a hassle to have around when the rest of the growroom was done at day 60! the last plant was grown out on the deck in the greenhouse, and cured into a huge jar of great smoke that kept its fruity flavor for nearly a year afterward.

before putting her out to pasture, i crossed the AfghanHaze by a Skunk father, an NL5xHaze father, a Master Kush father & a 'landrace' Lebanese (Red Leb) Hash Plant father. i'm just now growing out the crosses of the AfHaze x Master Kush, and they're leggy beasts!

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 107
carbon filter

so with af/hz do you need really good smell control? a have a homemade filter that just barely does the job....but i am looking forward to recieving my seeds from vu-du...ordered today...I love the challenges of growing sativas under a 400w mh :D

Afghan Haze will be different than you might expect,most haze hybrids ive grown have been rather low odor or just does not smell like the stinky skunky cannabis most are use too.
she will smell of Pepper,Spice, Fuel,Incense, Cinnamon,caramel honey,
glazed donuts {LOL}
not saying you wont smell it,just not like you might expect.
now after you grow and harvest it,when it lites up ,everyone will smell it,for a day or two if smoked indoors.
Afghan/Thai/Columbia Blend is my best example of that.
very sweet after taste.
top three Mr Nice for me
SSH,AH,Nevs Haze...not necessarily in that order.

peace

Afghan Haze will be different than you might expect,most haze hybrids ive grown have been rather low odor or just does not smell like the stinky skunky cannabis most are use too.
she will smell of Pepper,Spice, Fuel,Incense, Cinnamon,caramel honey,
glazed donuts {LOL}
not saying you wont smell it,just not like you might expect.
now after you grow and harvest it,when it lites up ,everyone will smell it,for a day or two if smoked indoors.
Afghan/Thai/Columbia Blend is my best example of that.
very sweet after taste.
top three Mr Nice for me
SSH,AH,Nevs Haze...not necessarily in that order.

peace

yeah i figured that maybe the afghan would add some funk to the haze...i have usually grown strains that do not have the skunk funk (sativas malawi, bodhi sativa, satori, cindy, kalichakra) i have actually culled/given away plants with too much skunk funk.....just wanna know if i should buy some ona gel...anybody use that stuff before? i have heard you can get some horse stall deoderizer at the feed store that works wonders...

just recieved my afghan haze from vu-du...very nice it took 3 days from departure...going germinate them very soon...

Your Af x Hz Pheno

Hello jimdankness....:) I read your thread again about your Af x Hz plant you found, and I must say that I am very impressed with your Hazy female. This gives me a very good indication as to the pheno that I have at the moment and what I should expect in the end. I know that I may have the haze that is in the 15% range of the seed group that was mentioned in your thread by Shanti, for extreme versions of Indica or Sativa with the Af x Hz. I believe that it may be possible that you may have gotten the Columbian Haze version? and the one I presently have is the Thai version? I just feel that if there are genes from all parts of the World, you may have a chance of getting that version from that region, and not a mix from both gene pools if that makes sense {Thai,Columbian}? I have a feeling that there is an even rarer chance of getting one particular haze, from that particular country, in the Af x Hz gene pool. This might sound crazy, but I feel instead of a 15% chance in either direction of Indica or Sativa, there might be a chance for an even more extreme version from the original lineage from which it came. The haze plant I have has many stick branches like a Thai, and this is why I feel there are differences in the gene pool. Your thread is a motivator for me, and I want to congradulate you for a fine,fine expression with the Af x Hz genetic. I am stoned to the bone, and I hope this makes sense? peace, resinbud ;)

Last edited:
Thai Sticks Correction

I had to confirm that I know that Thai sticks are a way of processing the plant after harvest in Thailand. The plant I have has many,many branches, and I was just using that only as a reference, and I am hopeing for myself an original Thai plant that is found in Thailand. This was only mentioned in case someone out there may have thought that my Thai plant was developing into Thai sticks on my plant, when in fact it has to be processed to make Thai sticks. If my analogy is correct I do in fact have an original Thai plant that makes Thai sticks. I have never smoked Thai in my life, but I will soon. resinbud

Last edited:
hey guys, it's been a while since i've checked in here. glad this thread is still proving useful to some! :)

@ catalyst: scorpion is pretty much spot on; though it pains me to describe this lovely strain as 'low odor', it does not have any trace of reeking skunk. scorp nails it when he says incense (where's bigherb, lol)... it's a very complex & delicate aroma.

@ resinbud: i don't have enough experience with thai or colombian landraces to really classify it one way or the other. however, i'm not sure you're theories of genetic expression in Haze will work out as cleanly as you'd hope. Original Haze has been inbred enough, previous to any further hybridization, for those characteristics to be pretty well enmeshed together. but hey, i'm no breeder... just a hobbyist!

as promised, here are a few more shots of some of my Afghani Haze crossed with a White Label Master Kush father. the floral & terpene character seems to be entirely AfHz, but the plants have maintained a shorter stature and slightly more compact flower shape (the yield is about the same). the finishing time is the real bonus: the plants 'look' finished at 45 days, and are overwhelmingly done at day 55. only one phenotype wanted to flower longer, and went until day 65 (it should be no surprise that this was the the grower's choice for good smoke!).

in the end, there were some interesting lessons in amateur breeding that i'll take back to the workshop. i'm not sure i'll grow these seeds again, but won't hesitate to pass them on to friends.

have a look at the photos (apologies, as i'm not much of a photog)...

from the greenhouse this summer:
@ day 30-something
3923935542_bf563e85e4.jpg

@ day 40-something, nearly done!
4182549506_ebde6f1259.jpg

4182549688_63e93dbaff.jpg

Back