A little advise?

vmwanl

I live in a hot, dry climate, with no shortage of sun as a matter of fact maybe too much, I am looking for a plant that will grow well in these kinds of conditions. (peak temp in the summer is about 100+ for months at a time)Does anybody have any recommendations? hight is also a concern. :cool:

Hi V

hot dry climate is as good as it gets for all plants, as long as you got some water...all should grow. Are you looking for something in particular and how close or far away from the equator are you...All the best Sb

Small items to consider...
It sounds like you're going to be doing outdoor (indoors you could use airconditioning so temp is really no concern there).

Dig deep holes and line the very bottom with plastic sheeting so the surrounding soil doesn't leech the moisture from the plants....if not they will be dry in less than a few hours after watering.
Sativas are better in extreme heat situations as they are naturally acclimated to that enviro....but they will go huge if given enough sun, 12-15 foot easily.
Indicas will work fine but might get a little "stretchy" in higher temps.

I'm guessing Az or NM...maybe Tejas ?

Just work the soil well....make it as loose as possible, lots of compost and toss in some coco and a handful of dolomite to offset the acidity in the compost...mix well with the surrounding soil in about a 50/50 mix....even if it's desert sand or southern "red clay".
If it is red clay try and get some playground sand to mix in and break it up a tad, and don't be afraid of real branchy and stick type compost...it will help keep the soil loose.

thanks guys

I am new to posting on forums so I apologize for not being more descriptive on what I'm doing
OK here it goes, I live in the south central USA. Close to the border and let me tell you I am tired of smoking the crapp we get around here, for example
4oz's 75.00$ At first I was thinking about trying to see if I could work with the local stuff out in the yard but I don't have that kind of experience or the time. I have a little space in my back yard that I want to put to good use, so I have been doing alot of research on how to grow your own:D
The soil is mainly clay and rock, so I thought I would dig holes and introduce
some kind of store bought soil. (miracle grow) and some Alaskin fish emulsion
5.1.1 the bottle says you cant over feed so I figured that would be safe till I get some buds then Ill get somthing a little stronger

What I've done so far: I have dug a few holes and am ready to plant as a matter of fact I already got a little one ready for the show. Don't know what strain it is cause it came from a friend (might be purple haze) (that survived a tornedo!) I was looking at the La Nina or some shit. I was thinking it would be better to plant them Where they would only get the morning sun cause it gets so hot in the after noon. Was also thinking that 6 seeds might give me a couple? females and really thats all I need. I am so excited. I will be posting pics soon of the little ones. Did I mention how excited I am?:D

I would also like to say that this forum IS very informative and the atmosphere is friendly. Very well put together, just one Peace of advise, it would be nice to be able to view the pics. that are on posts in like a slide show insted of closing the boxes 1 by 1 but whos complaining :eek: I couldnt do better!!!
so thanks for listening to me ramble :rolleyes:

I've done outdoors in the clay soil you mention.
It is very difficult to get enough *stuff* into the soil to keep it loose and fluffy.
You'll be much better off with a few sacks of compost than you will by using potting soil.
For best results you'll need at least 3 foot deep holes, and it's better if you can manage 4 foot...and yes, I do know how tough it is to dig that deep in rock hard dirt, it's a real ball buster.
Just remember that a plant normally has about the same size of roots under ground as it does of foilage above ground so don't limit it by too small of a area to grow it's roots into.
If you prep the soil well enough you shouldn't need to give it any fertilizers at all, the soil should easily be able to provide everything it needs for good growth.
Don't believe that fish emulsion bottle that says you cannot overfeed, you most certainly can overfeed it enough to fry it to death.

What I would do it go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Wal Mart, and get 1 large (2 or 3 cu foot) bag of "Supersoil" brand potting soil (it's not very good potting soil, BUT it is GREAT compost) and about a 1 cu foot sack of playground sand per hole you plan to dig.
Each hole will support 1 or 2 plants, 1 being best.
Dig a hole about 3 foot wide by 4 foot deep making a pile to the side of everything you dig out of it.
Line the hole with bisqueen or a sturdy plastic drop cloth, use 2-3 layers.
Mix the soil you took out of the hole with the supersoil, the playground sand, and about 3 cups each of blood meal and bone meal (available at the same type of places. Add about 2 cups of dolomite lime (agricultural lime) for a PH stabilizer and magnesium suppliment.
Mix well with your shovel and toss back into the hole....do not pack it down.
Water it very well and cover with another sheet of plastic for at least a week....secure the plastic down with some rocks or the like....the soil needs to cook and sweat a bit.
Take the plastic cover off the hole and plant away.

You won't have any trouble with the heat or the sun....as long as you keep the soil semi moist.
I have a feeling La Nina would do a bit better than the Shit as I know it's probably going to see some 110-115 degree days.

Post pics :)

Back