Shanti, will you reveal the genes for your Ortega?

HI all

well Ortega was based on work from Neville and was a selection of an afghan which was also known Northern Lights 1. It was then consumed under the Sensi seeds label when Neville sold it.Breeder Steve made a selection of his version and it was a good plant.

I am using the old seed from 1987 of Nev, not a big selection came up but was a quality strain and full of excellent stable phenotypes. It is not an F1 seed but an inbreed line and after the selection work parts of it are being used in other hybrids and research work.

It tends to flower bwteen 6-8 weeks at 12/12, and enjoys a strong feeding regime. Unlike the large colas of flower clusters it produces flowers up the stem of medium size but density is on its side.

More in the medicinal range of plants for those with muscular tension disorders and for those who need to stimulate appetite and sleep...as far as i am concerned. But we can add to it everybody who does a thread to get a better over view....hope that helps a little Sb

Interesting piece of genetics history Shanti , thanks for sharing it with us

you know you are one of the few people who are familiar with the real story of a lot of lines that played a crucial role in the scene so sharing all these bits of history with the community is really important and I m sure others feel this way.

Thanks again for taking the time and hope you also enjoy sharing and discussing history of genetics with like minded people who also believe in transparency and honesty.

Ortega for muscular disorders... I think this may be what I am looking for. Should be good for Myotonic Dystrophy and the appetite stims will help with the nasty fentanyl patchs I have to ware. Sounds like a dream.

So when are these babies available?

Diagnosis Fits Desire For Ortega

This Is Why I Have Been Seeking Ortega For So Long
L.U.I Being The Closest I Came , And Once Germinating Some DP Ortega#3's Before The Law Noticed Them .
Much Was My Disappointment My Last Visit In Amsterdam , Seeing Ortega On The Menu , But Out Of Stock:(
My Intention Was On Buying The N.H.S , Which I Did ( And Love It's Fluffy, Sticky Buds All Greasy With Resin It Reminds Me Of Past SWT1.1 Grows ).
Mango Haze Is Motivating Me
Early Haze Is Impressing Me
N.H.S Is Soon On It's way To Replacing The Old N.H.S :D
And The Mutant N.H.S Continues To Amuse .
But How Nice It Would Be , Having Come From Camp SOl ( Test Pilot )To Experience The Ortega .
A Skinny JKP:)

Thank you for sharing that with us Shanti as always it is a pleasure to be able to be here and have the chance to share in some of these older genetics......Damn I like it when I see dates like that next to a strain:D

I would love to work this strain, someone very close to me has a need for this strain big time,

Much love & respect Shanti for making dreams happen :)

One question Shanti if you have a moment...

Do you know what region the Afghan is from?
I was wondering if it was from Nevilles trip to the Mazar regions or if possible, Sheberghan?

Or is this more northern Afg? I ask that because of it's quality attributes for rough weather.

Thanks for bringing us this Old School blast from the past, 2mon & I'll start a thread.

-Smoke

I think maple leaf indica is the strain your thinking of as far as neville bringing out of afghanistan back in the day.

I'm curious why shanti eludes these posts on these new strains.:confused:

Its just weird.

I read that Maple Leaf Indica was brought over by SamS as that was one of the buildling blocks of Sk1 courtesy of Maple Leaf Wilson... I can't wait to look through the Ortega seeds and NL5/Afghan and do some selection of my own...

M2M

mr. gertbfrow et al, imo shanti does not "elude" (evade/ignore) questions on strains such as this, more probably, he does not feel he has much to add? my recollection of the origon of ortega was correct only to the point where i recognized it as being a hybrid prior to shanti's tenure however, i never knew it to be a pheno of nl#1? but shanti did, and he has it and he has some ideas on what to do with her too! and best of all, it sounds like she will be in some gardens again soon which is the reason 99% of us are here. looking for the old skool. peace-biteme

Ortega was made by Nevil named by sensi seeds and then breeder Steve made his line from them is this right? its a inbreed stable line of northern lights no1 right. if so how did breeder Steve make his line has he inbreed a certain mother or father or brought new genes to his line anyone know?

B.C Origin

I Thought Breeder Steve , Whilst Going Through Some Clones That Came From Two Canadians From Vancouver ( Strain- A-1 ) Who Brought Them Back From Afghanistan ( Maazar i Sharriff )During The Soviet Invasion , Came Across A Couple Of Clones That Looked Different To The Others.
This Is What I Have Gathered From Chimera , Who Wrote The Article .
Before 1983 The Pacific Northwest Only Recieved Hashish From The West, And Commercial Brickweed From The South.
From My Understanding , The Seed Travelled East To Vancouver Before Carrying On To Europe. And A-1 ( Afghani#1 ) Sparked The Indica Revolution In British Columbia . Later That Year (83) Tridon Hydroponics Opened It's Doors In Victoria , B.C ( And Opened My Eyes ;))
JKP

HI all

well Ortega was based on work from Neville and was a selection of an afghan which was also known Northern Lights 1. It was then consumed under the Sensi seeds label when Neville sold it.Breeder Steve made a selection of his version and it was a good plant.

I am using the old seed from 1987 of Nev, not a big selection came up but was a quality strain and full of excellent stable phenotypes. It is not an F1 seed but an inbreed line and after the selection work parts of it are being used in other hybrids and research work.

It tends to flower bwteen 6-8 weeks at 12/12, and enjoys a strong feeding regime. Unlike the large colas of flower clusters it produces flowers up the stem of medium size but density is on its side.

More in the medicinal range of plants for those with muscular tension disorders and for those who need to stimulate appetite and sleep...as far as i am concerned. But we can add to it everybody who does a thread to get a better over view....hope that helps a little Sb

i was just going of what i could make out from shantis post joe he says in the first bit. it was a nl 1 (Afghan) and nevil breed it and sold it to sensi. but you could be right about breeder steves version as shanti only says [Breeder Steve made a selection of his version and it was a good plant.] so could have nothing in common apart from coming from Afghan lines. i am sure i read somewhere Mazar i Sharif has something to do with Ortega aswell.:confused:

I think your both kinda right... But I don't know, just going off what I heard.

But from what I understand. Both Nev & Steve made a trip to the Mazar Region.
Nev came back w/it is how it ended...

Hooked Steve up but Steve was suppose to put a spin on it & did.
Except, i heard his was proned to hermies.

& I think Red got his from the Original Seed bank..?

Shit, if this doesn't sound right, don't read too far into it. None of this is verified that I say.

-Smoke

mr. gertbfrow et al, imo shanti does not "elude" (evade/ignore) questions on strains such as this, more probably, he does not feel he has much to add?

I really don't like it when ppl put words in my mouth. I wrote elude because up until now the man hadn't said a thing about a single new strain except for the rock n rollers. Theres tons of new strains in case u didnt notice.

This was a strain that quite a few of us have been waiting patiently for.

So again I worte elude because he wasnt answering any questions on this strain and I wanted to hear about it before I made my purchase.....as there's no description of the strain anywhere on this site.

If he didnt have anything to add.......then why would he grow it? Is there a single strain you've grown that you "cant add anymore about"? NO. Of course not! Theres something to say about every strain. Nevermind coming from the michael jordan of cannabis.

Thanks shanti, didnt mean to be rude.:eek:

I'm curious to see what comes of ortega hybrids!

another authority on the ortega has spoken in the most recent issue of skunk magazine with a definition i concur with namely, ortega is an indica hash plant crossed with northern lights #1 by neville and named ortega indica. it is being rereleased by dutch passion. peace-biteme

so would ortega be a good plant to breed with? i think but might be tottally wrong here so please correct me thank you! im taking it that shanti's Ortega strain is using the exact same genitic seeds that were used to make nl#1 and now he's grown the old seeds from back then 1987 out now or for afew years to work them. the seeds the one's that were responsible for the nl#1 witch are inbreed and now he's made his own selections on what came out of these old 1987 seeds that were used to make the original nl#1 so its basically these seeds used to make nl#1 have being grown out and shanti's found something special after workingor shanti is it the NL from a very old batch of seed that in 2004 nevil sprouted and reselected the nl and you have being working on it since then 2004? or did nevil select a nl#5back then from very old seeds? cant remember and now have released it to the mass's? either way gona be killer woeked by to masters Shanti Neville great team i tell you you have got some great treasure chaste id love to know what other treats are in there just waiting and wanting to come out to sprout. anyway just got my pack of Ortega seeds from the man him self thank you very much shanti! cant wait for more info to pop up and il pop a few down asap and keep all who are interested updated if im not to busy and when i can, thanks for reading and please correct me if wrong thanks and thanks again shanti keep em coming peace...

Last edited:
dankbig yes ortega would be good for breeding Legends ultimate indica was made using ortega(and sweet 3 i believe). not trying to answer ur questions at all the rest of that is for shanti to answer... just wanted to chime in and let u know my 2 cents bro:D

biteme- yes i was aware about nevs crosses with the ortega... and i was aware dutch passion is sellin the ortegaxnorthernlights...
but ur not sayin shantis selling a ortegaxnorthernlights? because i thot shanti was using some original stock from nev from the late 80s.

great thread everyone... thanks for the input shanti. I have mine ready to go germin now! I hope to see the new strain database update... if not ill just post it in the strainbase.

anyone who has any links to articles on what chimera was talking about regarding the soviet invasion in afghanistan and or anything else from anyone would be very interesting and appreciated greatly.

Last edited:
Back