Amoril's Medicine Cabinet

Amoril

Amoril's Medicine Cabinet - '09 Test Grow - Master Kaze

Well, since all the cool kids are starting the thread off now, I figured I would too. Besides, I am anxious to get the ball rolling...

anyhow, here's the scoop. Depending on when the beans arrive, depends on when I can start the seed proper. Im out of town for 5 days at the start of june (wakarusa anyone?) and don't enjoy leaving seedlings unattended for that long. If the seeds come soon enough, they should be vegging fine by then :cool:

Ill get a nice detailed description, maybe with a few pictures, of the setup posted in a few days. I finshed the install on the new ventilation system tonight, so im exhausted.

anyhow, looking forward to some fun. Cant wait to get rollin

Last edited:
As ive got a large bowl loaded, and Im in the midst of a lil bout with insomnia, I figured Id go ahead and type out the specs on the grow. No pics tonight, but 1000 words = 1 picture lmao.

This is all tentative, and I reserve the right to amend it as I see fit. :cool:

VEG

Light - germination through 2 weeks, 104w 6500k cfl + 84w 2700k cfl. Then, I'll switch the 2700k cfls out for a 150w HPS. At 4 weeks old, add 52w UVB10 5500k cfl reptile lighting, to help acclimate the ladies to the flower box.

Medium - FFOF + perlite + dolomite lime. ratio of 88oz : 22oz : 1tbsp. gives a final soil ratio of nearly 1/3 perlite, and works great for me.

Containers Theyll start life in 1gal square pots. Once sexed, females will go to either 3gal or 5gal growbags most likely, depending on number of females. I also may opt for smart-pots by this point, so who knows really.

Cabinet - This was actually my old DIY flower box. 22"x24"x48" of wood. 5"x5" passive intake (have a duct fan if I need to force intake with the HPS). Drilled holes with dowel rods, to support my lights at various heights. CFLs are installed into Y-adapters, on clip-style shop light sockets. Thus, the rods to clip to lol.

Nutes - None through first two weeks of life, as FFOF has a hefty amount. Then, I begin supplementing with GH FloraNova Grow + GH FN Bloom. At 4 weeks old, I switch to FN Bloom only. Probably a few shots of unsulphured molasses (chelation) and superthrive (roots) along the way too, low doses only though.

I think thats got the basics of veg..so

Bloom

Light - 400w ceramic metal halide (mastercolor 4k is WHITE) + 52w UVB 10.0 cfl + 168w 2700k cfl. The lights are all on separate timers...each of the 3 types at least. The CMH is 12/12. The UVB lights are will be on a 4/4/4 off/on/off during the photoperiod. The red cfls will be 1.5/3/3/3/1.5 on/off/on/off/on to stimulate two effects : the red shift in the dawn/dusk, and the overall intensity midday.

Medium and Containers - As discussed earlier, no change to medium, and potential variation in containers. Either 3gal or 5gal growbags, or smart-pots.

Tent - GrowLab 80. nothing too big, but I only have so much space...lol. 24"x24"x64" and 100% PVC free. 3 x 3"x5" screened passive intakes on the bottom, and a damn near perfect amount of light capture. At night, the room is pitch black if I dont have the tent open ;) Dimpled mylar lining, and she glows inside.

Ventilation - This was the last piece of the puzzle. Setup in an interesting fashion...8"HO fan w/ max cfm of 737. Speed controller set to ~75%. Outside the cabinet, the first link is the large carbon filter...large, so we dont have to worry about the smell lmao. The fan pushes into it, and force-scrubs the air. The intake on the fan is split into multiple channels, on top of the tent, even with but not connected to the reflector, and one in the veg cabinet. Thats 1x6", 2x5". Lets me use smaller ducts, and not bottleneck the 8" fan.

Nutes - First two weeks of flower FN Bloom. Next 2-3 weeks, FN Bloom + GH LiquidKoolBloom. Then, a heavier dose of FNB + LKB. 1tbsp unsulphured molasses weekly, including halfway through the flush (chelate any remaining nutes, to make a cleaner final week).

-------

I think thats the basics of the setup...anything Im leaving out?

Last edited:
Hey Pat, Im excited to see how all these Master Kaze grows stack up in the end.

Its such an awesome sounding plant... with this many simultaneous grows, we're bound to discover most of her secrets :)

Im just hoping that extra-special lady is more of a 1:10 kinda girl than a 1:100 lmao.

Last edited:
So, here's how it happened. I leave my house for a meeting at 2:50pm. Still, no mail.

I get home from the meeting (work is boring) at just after 4:00. I shit you not, at 4:19 I see the mailman walking up.

and, at exactly 4:20, Master Kaze is in my possession. Almost like a dream lmao ;)

edit Hah, just noticed the postage stamp used. Charles Darwin's Origin of Species....seems eerily appropriate lol

Last edited:
Lets go ahead and do the first official 'entry'

I thought about it over a bowl, and with a glance at the calender.....

11 Master Kaze are currently soaking in water with a touch of superthrive. Gonna go prepare the pots in a little bit, so I can put these beans in some dirt tomorrow.

That leaves 10 MKaze seeds for future use. 21 is a lucky number to be sendin out Shanti...good work.

testing officially under way ;)

just an update for record....Ive germinated seeds from my own pollinations before, and they always pop tails real quick.

I soak in water + ST for 24 hours, usually. then to towels / soil, depending on how i feel. Ive had tails at 48hrs from soak start w/ this method easily.

But, at 18hrs soaking on the Master Kaze....4/11 already had tails poking out. These beans have more vigor for life than anything Ive grown to date. Unbelievable. Theyre in soil, and we may have a proof of life pic in a couple of days ;)

First pictorial ... even though there's not a whole lot to show.

11/11 germinated successfully, most in 4 days, but one held out for 6. Theyre labeled, and looking pretty uniform. Some are taller than others, but that should even out soon enough.

Attachments

• DSC00691.jpg
    DSC00691.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00693.jpg
    DSC00693.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 4
looking good m8 your off to a great start
good luck with your grow and good on you fella:)

Update - 2 weeks old.

Only watered once still, maybe second watering in a day or two. Waited 7 days for first water, sitting at 8 right now.

All plants appear to be healthy. Several slight differences can be found in the leaf expression, and two are abnormally shorter than the rest.

One plant has a deformation in leaf structure. first true leaf set contains a 2-finger leaf and a 3-finger leaf, but the 3-finger leaf is poorly shaped. New growth appears to be normal though.

----------

pic 1 - first plant to pop the soil is also the shortest of the lot.

pic 2 - deformed plant. note the non-symmetrical node.

pics 3 and 4 - these are two representatives of the average appearance of the crop so far.

pic 5 - the other shorty.

pic 6 - the group shot.

Attachments

• DSC00719.jpg
    DSC00719.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00721.jpg
    DSC00721.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00720.jpg
    DSC00720.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00722.jpg
    DSC00722.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00723.jpg
    DSC00723.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00724.jpg
    DSC00724.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 6
Just stopping in to take a look. Nice healthy plants you have there, good luck with the rest.

Just stopping in to take a look. Nice healthy plants you have there, good luck with the rest.

Thanks man....they really are doing quite well. Im very impressed with them so far :D

---------------

Quick photo-less update.

3 weeks from process started today. all 11 of them developed nodes at the same pace, and were topped at 4 nodes above the cotyledons.

however, there is at least a 3" height difference in the tallest and shortest, Ill get precise measurements a lil later. So, spacing is quite different amongst the plants....and some are already starting some healthy branching.

last thing for the record today, the coty's were beginning to have a yellow tint on a couple of the plants. No actual yellowing or withering, but just losing the green intensity. So, I started the nutrients tonight....its only their third watering.

they recieved 0.6ml of floranova grow per gallon. Thats about as light of a dose as I can justify rollin with ;)

I may get pics up in a day or so, but Ive got a lot going on, so its more likely that Ill just wait until later in the week. Hopefully by then, theyll have recovered from the topping and have something more to photograph.

pictures .... and only a few days late lmao.

pic 1 is a group shot, ignoring the front right corner...thats something else LOL.

the first to pop, still the shorty, is in the front left corner.

pic 2 has the most indica looking leaves of the group....the angle plays it down a little, theyre pretty fat. picture's a little blurry, my bad...couldnt get that shot to work out in like 5 tries.

pic 3 is the "median" pic. This would be, IMO, the average / typical appearance of my lot thus far, if I had to pick one for that.

pic 4 is one of 2 plants. actually the shorter of the 2, these are taller and bushier than any of the other 9. Not a huge difference yet, but noticeable off camera...

------

plants are well on their way towards multi-cola growth, no one seems upset about the topping. thats a good thing.

still no real leaf discoloration, and no new abnormalities IMO. Smooth sailing, or something to that effect

Attachments

• DSC00755.jpg
    DSC00755.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00761.jpg
    DSC00761.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00762.jpg
    DSC00762.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00764.jpg
    DSC00764.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 12
just recieved second feeding, 1.2ml 'Nova grow. This one will kick off the normal feeding schedule...

Added the 150w HPS into the box, and Ill add the UVB in 2 days or so.

currently 29 days from start of germination, tallest comes in at just under 20cm topped, shortest is around 15cm topped.

and, just a few random photos....included are a few comparative leaf shots. the blurry one is also the most indica appearing leaf, quite fat.

Attachments

• DSC00767.jpg
    DSC00767.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00770.jpg
    DSC00770.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC00772.jpg
    DSC00772.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00774.jpg
    DSC00774.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00775.jpg
    DSC00775.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00768.jpg
    DSC00768.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00766.jpg
    DSC00766.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 2
lookin very nice

some lovly leaves there fella

i had an OLD freind who got off on healthy leaves:D

keep it up mate

lookin very nice

some lovly leaves there fella

i had an OLD freind who got off on healthy leaves:D

keep it up mate

LMAO, I dont know if Id say they're get-off-able yet :D

but yeah, Im really impressed with the plants so far. Overall, pretty consistent...the variation in the leaves represents a large portion of the visible variance at this point. And, Im real proud of their vigor / response to the growing environment so far.

Tonights update will just go over the plan for the rest of veg, as everything should be in place now.

First, feeding is going to start 3 on 1 off schedule. I fed nutes last water, but tonight I fed only water and they look like they could have taken nutes, so from here on out its the "constant" feed. 1.2ml initially, then 2.5ml per gallon after a week or two. When I reach this stage though, Ill probably do 1.2ml grow + 1.2ml bloom nute (veg is 7-4-10 and bloom is 4-8-7)

------------

About 1/2 the plants are showing the early preflowers now. So far, the split is fairly even, maybe 1 more potential male than female at this point, but still several left completely indeterminate. Only one conclusive male and female, each.

Once all plants show sex, Im going to transplant to 2-2.5gallon of soil, in 3gal growbags. I dont like them to be full Depending on the number of females, Im keeping either 1 or 2 males alive, for procreation purposes.

Upon transplanting, I intend to start tying some branches down. I would do it now, but the canopy is already too full to add more growth, without first removing some (ie males).

-----------

And finally, the lighting. The initial switch of some cfls for HPS has led to a little stretching, but nothing serious. To counter this, Ive added the light back in, but with UVB this time.

So, the schedule is ::

150w HPS + 104w 6500k cfl on for 19 hours 40 minutes.
52w 6500k cfl + 52w 5500k UVB 10.0 on for 6 hours in the direct middle of the photoperiod.

That hopefully wont change until within the last week of the vegetative cycle. So, should be good for at least the next 3 weeks, maybe up to 5.

Back