Interested in Learning

Stoffel

Hi, I have been growing cannabis for 2 years. I have no formal education. What would be a good book or books to start with on genetics and breeding plants that I can apply to cannabis? I would like to get into breeding and making my own strain.

But in the end, if it is for personal reasons; why make a simple thing complicated? :)
Select out desired phenotypes and place male and female together.
It can get real complicated though, but for that is my life too short. My bucket lists for plants to grow grows by day.
1617996011253.jpeg

The selection through the human eye/mind should not be underestimated in its diversity.
Science is great and all. Like Mendels laws teaches us amazing stuff on genetics. But arenā€™t we growing weed, which has been done for thousands of years? In the Dutch language we call that ā€œboerenverstandā€.

So holy cow I guess my notifications where balked. I'll check out Mandellian genetics, sounds cool and weird. Holy cow okay, I'll check out the the paper as well. Oof just started reading Marijuana Botiny and yall got 6 more things to do I love it! Dutch has so many cool asf words and phrases. I don't mind simple or complicated. I'm disabled so growing my plants is all i do and I love it!

Let's see if I'm learning anything lol. So according to what I read, please tell me if I am wrong, my two Gelatos are growing differently due to having different dominate allels. Allels are determined during meiosis and every seed is different. Oof, making it kinda daunting already to try and make something more than once. So every seed, even from the same m/f are different? That's nuts, this is gonna be fun.

Keep in mind all cannabis can be eventually traced back to landraces.
It is perfectly normal to have different phenotypes in one pack of seeds.
It is just genetic variation which a breeder can pick out and ā€œbottleneckā€ into a new strain.

As this topic got me going I found this which was a very interesting read.

Quote | Landraces typically exhibit extensive variations around their basic theme, much like a Beethoven symphony. This trait of a basic theme with immense variation within it results from traditional methods of selection, i.e. open pollination with limited selection of choice female plants. As Ernest Small, arguably the leading authority on Cannabis, writes, ā€œLandraces usually have a much wider genetic base, corresponding with a broader range of variability and a broader range of adaptation to stresses, especially to the local environmental conditions and biotic agents where they were selected.ā€ | unquote

Gelato is a femed polyhybrid so could have lots of expressions coming through in seed.
Doubtful that they stabilised anything before selling them on either.

Well these ladies are the last fem seeds I am growing. I am still trying to decide what reg seeds to start with. I have no idea what polyhybrid means so I am going to go Google that. The dictionary is getting a workout with these books and articles lol.

Wow ok. So they threw some stuff together, said good enough and sold it lol. Instead of stabilizing it into a F1 Hybrid. It's second hand doo doo water. Or did I look that up wrong.

Wow ok. So they threw some stuff together, said good enough and sold it lol. Instead of stabilizing it into a F1 Hybrid. It's second hand doo doo water. Or did I look that up wrong.

A F1 hybrid will have different phenotypes which will make plants differ in flowering time for instance. Say you have a 100% sativa x a 100% indica; those seeds will be never uniform. One will be more indica, the other more sativa.

I ASSUME that you must bottleneck the genetic variety in the mother and father first to get a more uniform F1 hybrid. Though I have never done this or read anything about it. <- this may be incorrect information

Back