Search for Punto Rojo

Marcus my friend...when I see those small pots it makes me uncomfortable.
I know Im on the opposite extreme the smallest I use minimum 10 gallon live soil...

I can’t believe the size plants you get in those pots!

Managing the stretch - Part 1

Greeting MNS time travelers,

Big Sur, kbonsai and musashi, thanks for your comments and well wishes.

I've been carefully observing this grow and thought I'd share. When I put the clones in the flower tent nine days ago, it took several days for the plants to get going...for a while I suspected a problem with the big batch of nutes I had mixed up (while high :) ) or maybe something wrong in the coco/perlite media, because some of them got very pale green. The image below is a composite showing the puntodorado plants on days 0, 5 and 9 of 12/12. I still think they look like they could all use more nitrogen.

puntodorado_F0-F9.jpg

Plants #4 (upper right) and #8 (lower left) had not rooted when I put them into the tent, and I'm still not sure they will. The others are doing well. Once they can build up a little root mass they start growing fast. PD2 and PD10 are now growing 1 inch per day; both of these plants had very vigorous root growth.

PD_stretch_plot_F9.jpg

Based on very early preflowers on the 8-week-old seed plants, it looks like #2 and #5 are males. Interesting how bushy #7 looks at this stage, like mom did, so I think it leans toward the punto rojo side.

I think I have about five more weeks of stretching to deal with. If they stretch about 1-1.5 inches per day I'll be in good shape.
Great post

Here's what my puntobiche female seed plants look like on October 30 at 42N. It's been terrible weather since early September, lots of rain, lots of cloudy days, very little sunshine, and the first frost came about a month earlier than it did the last few years. These gals are not happy, yet they continue to do their thing.

Left to right #2, 3, 4, 6 and 7. I brought #7 in before the first frost a couple weeks ago and left the others outside; they've been through a couple frosty mornings now. Puntobiche #2 purpled up big time, is the smallest, is the fastest and best yielding plant, and has that smell of fine Colombian. Calyxes on #6, the skinniest-leaved, spiciest smelling plant also got purple. I might move all these girls inside to give them a shot at finishing.

Puntobiche_seed_plants_Oct_30_N42.jpg
Pot size is freaking me out!!!!

Marcus my friend...when I see those small pots it makes me uncomfortable.
I know Im on the opposite extreme the smallest I use minimum 10 gallon live soil...

I can’t believe the size plants you get in those pots!

Plants can get too big for me to manage in 10 gal pots. So I tend to only pot them up into 5 or 7 gallon squat pots now. 3 years ago I did a series in 15 gallon posts and they were too big to fit inside my garage in the fall. And that is only with the ladies. With males they only get 1 or 2 gallon pots at the most. I force bloom them in spring with light dep (I only grow regular photos here) to determine sex, and then let them re-veg in the GH's. Larger males are just a larger mess. I grew huge males one year that I only grew males. Man, that was a giant pollen mess. No need for huge males. A few dozen flowers are all you really need. Unless you want to harvest a ton of pollen for some reason.

Plants can get too big for me to manage in 10 gal pots. So I tend to only pot them up into 5 or 7 gallon squat pots now. 3 years ago I did a series in 15 gallon posts and they were too big to fit inside my garage in the fall. And that is only with the ladies. With males they only get 1 or 2 gallon pots at the most... ...Larger males are just a larger mess. I grew huge males one year that I only grew males. Man, that was a giant pollen mess. No need for huge males. A few dozen flowers are all you really need. Unless you want to harvest a ton of pollen for some reason...

Same here. 5 gal pots for the ladies often yield 7 foot plants ID. Males rarely get put in pots larger than 5x5's. With 5 gal pots, I give away enough as it is lol.

🤙Mu

Plants can get too big for me to manage in 10 gal pots. So I tend to only pot them up into 5 or 7 gallon squat pots now. 3 years ago I did a series in 15 gallon posts and they were too big to fit inside my garage in the fall. And that is only with the ladies. With males they only get 1 or 2 gallon pots at the most. I force bloom them in spring with light dep (I only grow regular photos here) to determine sex, and then let them re-veg in the GH's. Larger males are just a larger mess. I grew huge males one year that I only grew males. Man, that was a giant pollen mess. No need for huge males. A few dozen flowers are all you really need. Unless you want to harvest a ton of pollen for some reason.
This is great info.

I'm still smoking this weed, and it's fucking awesome. Last fall I flowered a clone of the keeper, PD1, and harvested it a bit earlier than the first go, at about 17 weeks. It's a better, trippier, more intense high. Still playing around with the puntodorado backcrosses and a few punto rojo F2s derived from CBG stock. Next grow I'll try something a bit different: Vietnamese. Hopefully make a Colombian x Vietnamese cross or two in a quest to re-create a haze (not A haze). I also have a breeding project in mind where I will do a large (for me) selection run of ~40 MNS Afghan haze seeds, select and flower about 4-6 haze dominant plants, hope I get a couple males to choose from, then repeat the process with the F2s. I figure I can get to something pretty close to a haze mom and dad in two generations if I select carefully.

Greetings Musashi, my brother from another mother. I love you man. The answer to your question is (a) I already have three straws of Afghan haze in the freezer, and zero Holy Smoke, and (b) there's no NL or skunk in Afghan haze. I don't think I'm as sold on the AC male as you are, amigo. But of course, depending on how your Holy Grail and Holy Smoke grows turn out, the above grow queue may get interrupted. :D

Knowing what I've learned growing MNS genetics for 4+ years, if I were to start over, I'd buy a few packs of mango haze and select through the F1s and F2s to find the plant of my dreams.

@Marcus_in_the_Darkus do you remember making ? It looks like I have 4 unique punto rojo seed batches. it's time to grow em all. yeehaw!

Hey Fish, I'm sorry I never responded to your post at the top of this page. I never did make any TLT punto rojo x CBG punto rojo because I've never had a CBG punto rojo male. I did make TLT punto rojo x CBG puntobiche (a male from your punto rojo x mangobiche cross). I am currently growing a puntodorado x mangobiche (same male) and it's the best smelling plant in the tent. I really love that classic Lumbo smell that came from the mangobiche plants I grew from the seed you gifted me. Takes me right back to the 1970s. In fact, it smells exactly like the aroma I get when I open up that cannister of 50-year old hippie seeds I'm sitting on. That aroma was mostly missing from the TLT punto rojo, and I haven't picked up much of it yet from the puntodorado I've grown, although that aroma took a long time > 1 year) to develop as the puntobiche slowly cured.

Greetings Musashi, my brother from another mother. I love you man. The answer to your question is (a) I already have three straws of Afghan haze in the freezer, and zero Holy Smoke, and (b) there's no NL or skunk in Afghan haze. I don't think I'm as sold on the AC male as you are, amigo. But of course, depending on how your Holy Grail and Holy Smoke grows turn out, the above grow queue may get interrupted. :D

Knowing what I've learned growing MNS genetics for 4+ years, if I were to start over, I'd buy a few packs of mango haze and select through the F1s and F2s to find the plant of my dreams.

After I posted I knew you had packets of AfHz, doh! I was just thinking about what @CannaFish said in my Holy Grail thread; basically Afg is Afg. With AfHz possessing more indie, I thought it would be easier to tease out the other side with the lesser in the HS but academic isn't it? What's holding you back on the AC?

🤙Mu

ok good to know @Marcus_in_the_Darkus :) i have several seedlings going from that male.
i started puntobiche f2, cbg punto rojo f2, TLT punto rojo x 78 Gold, hawaiian spice x puntobiche, and simply irresistible x puntobiche

The Puntodorado BX plants are now about 8 weeks from seed and doing well. Very vigorous jungle plants, especially from PD1 (the 20-week, primal keeper). They took over my veg cabinet. Pretty similar look to most of the PD1 BX, more variability in the 12-week PD10 progeny. Long internodes, emerald leaves, beautiful large fan leaves. Mild sativa aromas developing on most plants. Here's a PD1 BX and a thin-leaved, but bushier PD10 BX. I took cuts and should start to flower them in a couple weeks.

Time flies! I've been extremely busy with my real job and took a needed couple months break from flowering sativas. In the interim I neglected these Colombian BX seed plants - I lost 5 of 10 overgrown plants to a dry reservoir in my veg cabinet. Fortunately, most of the ones I lost were the wider-leaved ones I would have been culled anyway. From the photo in my 12/19/2020 post, posted below, I note that the offspring from the fastest mother puntodorado plant (PD10) had noticeably wider leaves than the 18-20 week keeper, PD1. So I have three Colombian BX plants remaining from the long-flowering mom, one from the fast mom, and one puntobiche cross from the fast mom. That last one has significant resin on leaves in veg.

10 Colombian seed plants from two puntodorado mothers: 12-weeker progeny above, the 18-20 weeker progeny in the middle, and two puntodorado x puntobiche plants below
pd-bx-seedlings2-jpg.47526

The clones I cut back in January didn't root, so I've spent the last few weeks rehabilitating, pruning and up-potting the surviving Colombian seed plants. I cleaned up my grow area, bought a HEPA air filter for my basement, and am taking more aggressive steps to control PM, which seems to be less of an issue in the warmer months. I took cuts five days ago and have been babying them; here they are today:

Surviving Puntodorado BX progeny cuttings
ScreenHunter 145.jpg

Meanwhile, I've flipped the seed plants to 10/14 so I can identify the females and males and flower the clones separately, while maintaining new clone backups.

So the plan is to select a few female clones to flower in a couple weeks. Just for kicks, I popped five punto rojop F2s I obtained from a sativa-loving friend in Canada. Depending on how many PD BX females I end up with , I'll probably select a couple of these punto rojo plants to join the party in the flower tent. Here's the punto rojo male that sired these 2-week-old seedlings:

LG_CBG_PR_male1.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, an update on my second round with and some thoughts about the quality of this puntodorado smoke.

In December I harvested PD3, the clone that didn't flower in time for the first round last spring/summer. I also harvested PD1, another clone of the 20-week keeper. I flowered these plants and a couple of my keeper Angel's Breathe F2 clones last fall after all of the Angeldorado plants I vegged last summer turned out to be males. During that grow I had one of those pollen events that heavily seeded my weed, but possibly in a serendipitous way. I had kept two out of the six Angeldorado males I grew last summer in the veg cabinet. These are beautiful plants with excellent resin, structure, and the tastiest, pineyest terps I've ever found on a male. One of them autoflowered in the veg cabinet. The fan that exhausts my veg cabinet is (now, was) right next to the inlet on my flower tent, so I had a perfect pollen distribution system. :) So PD1, PD3, and ABF2 plants all got heavily seeded from an outstanding keeper male of ABF2 x 78CG lineage. That means I have lots of seeds with some really interesting crosses and backcrosses, including:
  • ABF2 x (ABF2 x 78CG)
  • (TLT PR x 78CG) x (ABF2 x 78CG)
So I have a bunch of seeds that backcross to either the best haze plant I've grown or to a 78CG male that has passed progeny testing with flying colors. I could spend a few lifetimes exploring these lines.

PD3 had a lovely structure and is very potent smoke, but I found the effect to be a bit more stupefying than the clear-headed buzz I prefer, so it wasn't a keeper. PD1 was even better the second time around because I harvested it at ~ 17 weeks rather than 20. This significantly improved the effect and the intensity of the terps of the weed, which has now been curing for three months. It's majorly pungent and, dare I say, even dank. But not in a skunky or chemy way; it's slowly taking on that classic Colombian smell I remember so fondly from the 70s. The effect is more potent, more energetic, more clear-headed, and my frees my mind to explore concepts that would otherwise be out of reach. A lady friend joined me last weekend and we had a major smoke-out of the 17-week PD1, shared three or four joints over a couple hours and ended up laughing our asses off at stupid shit just like the good old days.

This weed is really fucking good. It's all I smoke. One or two tokes on a one-hitter and I'm right back in the 1970s, enjoying the good herb and the good life, preferably in the great outdoors.

Below I've updated the flower time chart to reflect the fact that I finished growing out PD3, and that I've sampled PD1 at both 17 and 20 weeks.

PD10 - 12.5 weeks
PD6 - 16 weeks
PD3 - 17 weeks
PD2 - 17 weeks
PD9 - 20 weeks
PD1 - 17-20 weeks

Finally, an update on my second round with and some thoughts about the quality of this puntodorado smoke.

In December I harvested PD3, the clone that didn't flower in time for the first round last spring/summer. I also harvested PD1, another clone of the 20-week keeper. I flowered these plants and a couple of my keeper Angel's Breathe F2 clones last fall after all of the Angeldorado plants I vegged last summer turned out to be males. During that grow I had one of those pollen events that heavily seeded my weed, but possibly in a serendipitous way. I had kept two out of the six Angeldorado males I grew last summer in the veg cabinet. These are beautiful plants with excellent resin, structure, and the tastiest, pineyest terps I've ever found on a male. One of them autoflowered in the veg cabinet. The fan that exhausts my veg cabinet is (now, was) right next to the inlet on my flower tent, so I had a perfect pollen distribution system. :) So PD1, PD3, and ABF2 plants all got heavily seeded from an outstanding keeper male of ABF2 x 78CG lineage. That means I have lots of seeds with some really interesting crosses and backcrosses, including:
  • ABF2 x (ABF2 x 78CG)
  • (TLT PR x 78CG) x (ABF2 x 78CG)
So I have a bunch of seeds that backcross to either the best haze plant I've grown or to a 78CG male that has passed progeny testing with flying colors. I could spend a few lifetimes exploring these lines.

PD3 had a lovely structure and is very potent smoke, but I found the effect to be a bit more stupefying than the clear-headed buzz I prefer, so it wasn't a keeper. PD1 was even better the second time around because I harvested it at ~ 17 weeks rather than 20. This significantly improved the effect and the intensity of the terps of the weed, which has now been curing for three months. It's majorly pungent and, dare I say, even dank. But not in a skunky or chemy way; it's slowly taking on that classic Colombian smell I remember so fondly from the 70s. The effect is more potent, more energetic, more clear-headed, and my frees my mind to explore concepts that would otherwise be out of reach. A lady friend joined me last weekend and we had a major smoke-out of the 17-week PD1, shared three or four joints over a couple hours and ended up laughing our asses off at stupid shit just like the good old days.

This weed is really fucking good. It's all I smoke. One or two tokes on a one-hitter and I'm right back in the 1970s, enjoying the good herb and the good life, preferably in the great outdoors.

Below I've updated the flower time chart to reflect the fact that I finished growing out PD3, and that I've sampled PD1 at both 17 and 20 weeks.

PD10 - 12.5 weeks
PD6 - 16 weeks
PD3 - 17 weeks
PD2 - 17 weeks
PD9 - 20 weeks
PD1 - 17-20 weeks
Amazing .... lucky backcross as well . Sounds like you can expect some 🔥in those crosses.

Back